Forums
Posted By: nightwalker FREE Wirral Local History Book - 17th Mar 2011 12:45pm
Your Old Books and Maps have loads of free downloadable books at http://youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/free-books.html

Of local interest is:
Picturesque Cheshire 1903, by T.A. Coward, Illustrated by Roger Oldham. Superb tour of Cheshire, its towns, its churches & County history. Excellent illustrations really bring this book alive. 470 packed pages for anyone with Cheshire interest.

There's no catch! I've used them for years and they're great to deal with. An excellent site for directories, maps and particularly military history.

Posted By: MrG65 Re: FREE Wirral Local History Book - 17th Mar 2011 11:26pm
Thanks for the info nightwalker.

I checked and that and many other texts (700+ hits for Cheshire, 14 for Wirral) are available via the Internet Archive in various downloadable formats, for free:-

Internet Archive

Well worth a bit of a look / exploration.

Rambles around the old churches of Wirral, The history of the hundred of Wirral etc etc.

Regards

Posted By: nightwalker Re: FREE Wirral Local History Book - 18th Mar 2011 10:46am
That's a great find, thanks. Many happy and interesting hours of browsing coming up!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: FREE Wirral Local History Book - 18th Mar 2011 11:11am
how do you download some of these books - am struggling to

http://youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/free-books.html
and
Internet Archive

Posted By: nightwalker Re: FREE Wirral Local History Book - 18th Mar 2011 11:31am
For Your Old Books and Maps: put in Basket, go to Checkout, register as a new user, then follow instructions.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: FREE Wirral Local History Book - 18th Mar 2011 12:00pm
On the Internet Archive I've just tried downloading one. Try this:

View the book as PDF. Click Open and it downloads to a temporary file. It should open in Adobe Reader.

Click File (top left ) then in the drop down menu Save a Copy and you should get the "Save a Copy" screen where you can designate the folder to save to and give the file a name.

Easier than it sounds!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral