Forums
Posted By: atw1960 jet fighter in vyner road south - 13th Jan 2011 11:15pm
Many years ago , about '73 I think, a bloke living in Vyner Road South built a jet fighter in his back garden . I think it was a Vampire. A friend and me went up to see it and to be fair to him he didn't mind a couple of teenage scallies from the Nocky snooping round his garden . There's an article in this week's Wirral News that brought this back to me .Anyone else remember
it?
Posted By: hoseman Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 13th Jan 2011 11:52pm
Theres a guy in Ellesmere Port with a Submarine in his back garden.....YES a real full size ex MOD!!!
Posted By: davew3 Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 14th Jan 2011 12:35am
His own gate guardian I remember that,if I go along Vyner rd Ikeep expecting to see that,I remember when I used to go up by Lancaster someone had his own working destroyer parked up at one of the quays,the MOD were selling one of the aircraft carriers on one of the MOD sites a month or so back,less engines mainly for the steel hull.
Posted By: hoseman Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 14th Jan 2011 12:43am
Theres loads up now mate with the cuts. They will be disposed of for scrap as you say. I work on the demolition machines where they cut them up in the Canada dry dock, Liverpool!
When they get towed in, they are COMPLETE, as if the crew just jumped overboard!!! Everything is still in place, workshops, spares, quarters, galleys etc. The only things removed for obvious reasons are the arnaments!
Posted By: davew3 Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 14th Jan 2011 1:01am
Used to go to Belfast on a weekly trip via ferry from Stranraer to Northern Ireland and watched the old Cammell Laird built HMS Ark Royal getting cut up at Cairnryan and waiting it's turn was HMS Kent along with a number of American boats,sad to see, I keep wondering when the old Birkenhead ferry boats now renamed with old Wallasey boat names will be going to the knackers yard as I think they were built in 1965ish,which is a long time for a working boat to last.
Posted By: woodley Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 14th Jan 2011 2:15am
My brother's hobby (licenced aircraft engineer) was building his own plane in his garage. Beautiful - and took him years and years. He finished it early last year and then passed away in October. Anyone interested in the end product could check "Ron's taxi" on youtube. So sad, he only flew it a couple of times. There were many prospective buyers tho' so it must have been a bit of all right.
Posted By: AR_One Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 14th Jan 2011 8:57am
I think that the Mersey ferries should last a while yet, from what I understand when they were refurbed and renamed with the "flower" names about 80% of the metal in them was replaced
Posted By: Historybook Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 22nd Jan 2011 1:21pm
I was talking to a friend this morning and he was saying there used to be what was left of a spitfire at a garage in the West Kirby area at one time anyone got any info on this ?.
Posted By: Colgo Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 22nd Jan 2011 3:19pm
It was in Hoylake,in the garage at the top of Alderley road,where Sainsburys in now about the mid 70,s. I am pretty sure it was a Hurricane.
Posted By: Colgo Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 22nd Jan 2011 3:26pm
It was Spitfire. Full story HERE
Posted By: 5020Chris Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 23rd Jan 2011 8:26pm
That garage was later owned by my family Pumfords before they moved onto Hoylake industrial estate.
Posted By: zibbles Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 2nd Jan 2012 12:06am
Interesting topic!

I love this site; this is my first post!

I found out about the spitfire here- Bunny didn't fully restore it to fly; someone else done that after it was used in the battle of Britain film.

http://www.hoylakejunction.com/friday-photo-110715

Re: the Jet; Here's some further info:

http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nonavia&action=print&thread=6563

Posted By: Capernicus Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 3rd Apr 2012 6:34am
It was owned by a gentleman called Ian Morrisan who owned a Solicitors in Woodchurch Road by Sainsburys I think it is now a music workshop just on the lights he then moved to Irby hall but a few years later he died due to a fall from his balcony whilst on holiday, we have some great parties at Vyner Road South, I think his wife is still married to Ian Davidson who owns a dry cleaners
Posted By: hoseman Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 3rd Apr 2012 7:09am
Anyone remember the Spitfire Gate Guardian at Sealand?? That one NOW FLIES and was restored at Duxford and still flies from there!!
Posted By: Brocks Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 3rd Apr 2012 12:28pm
Cripes.....I used to work there and heard about the plan to get it airborne. I was also told it was a hollow shell - no engine etc - so the fact its' airbourne is great!
Posted By: Sandra43 Re: jet fighter in vyner road south - 3rd Apr 2012 2:17pm
I do believe there is some one in Heswall who has a normal garage on side of house, but when you drive in it gones down like a lift and there are loads of old cars there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral