Forums
Posted By: ManxCat Family History Search - 8th Jan 2011 7:37pm
Here is a good offer for anyone starting to research their family tree.

I have just bought a copy of 'Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum' which has all the software you need and comes with complimentry six month premium subscription to Ancestry.com. All for £29.99..

It is still on sale at half price in a certain large computer shop.

I thought about the free 14 day trial when you register on the website but this is all out the box.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Family History Search - 8th Jan 2011 7:40pm
It should come with a free crash helmet.
Posted By: LisaW Re: Family History Search - 8th Jan 2011 8:24pm
Originally Posted by bert1

I take it you mean for all that banging your head against a brickwall joy that comes with family tree research Bert crazy
Posted By: bert1 Re: Family History Search - 8th Jan 2011 8:29pm
Originally Posted by LisaW
Originally Posted by bert1

I take it you mean for all that banging your head against a brickwall joy that comes with family tree research Bert crazy

yes cry
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Family History Search - 13th Jan 2011 5:32pm
Originally Posted by ManxCat

I have just bought a copy of 'Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum' which has all the software you need and comes with complimentry six month premium subscription to Ancestry.com. All for £29.99..

I thought about the free 14 day trial when you register on the website but this is all out the box.

Do you get access to ALL their records or a selected few

Posted By: davew3 Re: Family History Search - 13th Jan 2011 5:54pm
No doubt they will ask for your credit card,but beware YOU will have to tell them when you don't need to carry on the subscription as you will end up paying for more also make sure they don't take any money from you AFTER you have told them you don't want to carry on the subscription,they took 3 months from us even thought we told them every week we had finished and had told them we we cancelling 2 months before,shame really as they have some good records.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Family History Search - 21st Jan 2011 7:41pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Originally Posted by ManxCat

Do you get access to ALL their records or a selected few

just bought this (worth it just for Ancestry)and am asking a few questions
1 how do a search by street name in censuses or do you need a surname of someone in that street
2 can you pick an area eg Birkenhead and do a search by any word
eg hotel or inn and get a list
Posted By: LisaW Re: Family History Search - 21st Jan 2011 9:34pm
Hi Derek, the easiest way i have found to do street searches listing the whole road is via FindmyPast

I don't think you need to subscribe to FMP but you will need to register.

Once you've registered, click on census, then search by address. If you put the street name and district, it lists all of the houses/businesses in the street

In Ancestry, select search all records, click advanced then under keyword search the street name,district

Hope that helps smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Family History Search - 21st Jan 2011 9:38pm
I subscribe to Find My Past,if anyone would like me to look something up,just PM me the details.
Originally Posted by LisaW
Hi Derek, the easiest way i have found to do street searches listing the whole road is via FindmyPast

I don't think you need to subscribe to FMP but you will need to register.

Once you've registered, click on census, then search by address. If you put the street name and district, it lists all of the houses/businesses in the street

In Ancestry, select search all records, click advanced then under keyword search the street name,district

Hope that helps smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral