Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 27th Dec 2010 4:11pm
The swings in St Paul's Rd.

Attached picture IMG_0037.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 27th Dec 2010 4:44pm
Great picture,
Bezzy,where are you on the picture wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 27th Dec 2010 5:49pm
Interesting picture ! At first glance I though they were guillotine frames !! Even then, long before the dreaded H&S, I don't think they would have allowed little kiddies to chop their friends heads off. Too messy maybe ?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 28th Dec 2010 12:44pm
Well I can't be on the picture can I???
I was the one with the Box Brownie'
Cheeky.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 28th Dec 2010 12:53pm
I did go to these swings as a child.
On one visit my aunt put my cousin on the see-saw and I was put on the other end.My cousin was a chubby kid and the weight balance was wrong.My mum in her wisdom thought she could correct this by putting my sister on with me.This proved near fatal as my cousin was catapulted into the air,landing on her head.
She was put in the pram and rushed to Jacksons Chemist down the road.Don't know what happend after that,but she has lived to tell the tale!
Posted By: steiner Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 15th Jan 2012 4:35pm
Hey. Make it clear that it is St Pauls Road Seacombe and not the much more famous and glamorous St Pauls Road in Rock Ferry / Tranmere.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 15th Jan 2012 4:38pm
Yes is Seacombe, check the bottom left of photo wink
Posted By: petethebike Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 15th Jan 2012 4:55pm
The work for the portal area of the Kingsway Tunnel "did for" these swings.I can remember playing on the jerker as a kid.I can also remembar climbing up the ladders from the portal with grout samples taken from the mole.Not my favorite walk along the invert with Foden trucks reversing with tunnel liner segments!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 17th Jan 2012 11:06am
Originally Posted by steiner
Hey. Make it clear that it is St Pauls Road Seacombe and not the much more famous and glamorous St Pauls Road in Rock Ferry / Tranmere.

My mother(born 1914) and her siblings went to St Paul's School Seacombe. I would imagine it was not considered as a brilliant school, as there was a local expression'They did not go to school. They went to St Paul's'.

The youngsters were sent to St Paul's Church, with some coppers for the church collection.
One of the hymns contained the words 'Listen to the pennies, Listen to them fall, They are all for Jesus. he shall have them all'.
My Mum and her younger brother thought Jesus came down from Heaven to collect the money, and when it was explained it was for upkeep of Church, they spent part of it on sweets.
Later they went to The Band of Hope though I don't know much about this organisation.

My Dad went to St Joseph's School Seacombe and was an altar boy at the Church.
Later he went to St Edwards College Liverpool but had to start work as his family could not afford to send him to University.
My twin and I however benefitted from his education, help with homework and advice.
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 17th Jan 2012 3:22pm
There's a rather official looking man standing next to a group of children in the photograph. He seems to be wearing some kind of a uniform and has a cane, or walking stick. Is it a policeman I wonder, or would a playground like that have had some kind of Keeper?

Great photo anyway.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: St Paul's Road, Seacombe - 17th Jan 2012 10:11pm
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
My mother(born 1914) and her siblings went to St Paul's School Seacombe. I would imagine it was not considered as a brilliant school, as there was a local expression'They did not go to school. They went to St Paul's'.

The youngsters were sent to St Paul's Church, with some coppers for the church collection.
One of the hymns contained the words 'Listen to the pennies, Listen to them fall, They are all for Jesus. he shall have them all'.
My Mum and her younger brother thought Jesus came down from Heaven to collect the money, and when it was explained it was for upkeep of Church, they spent part of it on sweets.
Later they went to The Band of Hope though I don't know much about this organisation.

The Band of Hope was a temperance movement - a quick glance at Wikipedia reveals that it started in 1847 in Leeds and is now Hope UK, an organisation that helps people with alcohol and drug abuse problems.

Presumably St Paul's Church/School was where St Paul's Operatic Society started life - still going strong after more than 100 years!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral