Forums
Posted By: detsi Morton Arms - Moreton - 14th Sep 2010 5:29pm
Is the name a spelling mistake considering it is actually located in Moreton?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 14th Sep 2010 5:35pm
How long has it been there?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 14th Sep 2010 5:40pm
I have no evidence to say otherwise but I doubt its a spelling error. I would quite imagine the pub is named after a family who may have owned it at one time. 'The Nelson' on Grove Road is another pub that was named after a family - and not Admiral Nelson (so no idea why they continue to have his picture outside!)
Posted By: daveybm Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 15th Sep 2010 11:39am
No it's not a spelling mistake, there used to be a plaque in the pub telling the history of it, if I remember correctly it is named after the Morton family from Cheshire and used their family crest in the pub's sign, a bit about the Morton Family:-
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/Morton-family-crest.htm

Dave
Posted By: daveybm Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 15th Sep 2010 11:53am
Little Moreton Hall by Congleton was the original home of the de Morton family (Morton being spely with or without the e).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Moreton_Hall

Dave
Posted By: buddy Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 15th Sep 2010 2:01pm
The pub opened in c1958 and was originally spelt moreton arms but later on changed to morton and yes there was a plaque in the lounge explaining why (can't remember reason!!)
I was one of the first barmen to work there (Part time) landlord was Johnny Connor
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 18th Sep 2010 5:37pm
Yes the original Nelson was a tiny pub. My mother remembered it. When they built the present one in the 30's the then brewery hijacked the name. Bit like the Twenty Row which was named after the twenty houses behind the original pub, in the 60's the brewery put up a sign showing two boats with twenty oarsmen!
Posted By: sallydaniels Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 26th Apr 2011 11:19pm
Old thread, I know, but just to add my two cents!

My parents used to run this pub, about 12 years ago. At that time it was spelled MorEton Arms. No idea why it was changed!

Don't know if anybody will remember them - Kenny and Alison Daniels. It was a good pub when they ran it, then they left and it went downhill. Heard it's come back up as of late.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 26th Apr 2011 11:59pm
Thanks Sally. Welcome to the WikiWirral machine.
Posted By: birket Re: Morton Arms - Moreton - 7th Jun 2011 4:51pm
The Morton arms was named after a ship called Morton, being in Moreton was just a coinserdent.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral