Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 6th Sep 2010 8:35am
Just found this picture of the Birkenhead Tunnel on another site. You may of seen it before but if you haven't it's quite good cross section of how it works. Enjoy!!

Click the Link

Attached picture tunnelcrossection.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 6th Sep 2010 10:47am
Interesting. I'm sure I've seen that before. Here's a very similar, but not identical, one from the book "The Mersey Tunnel" issued by the Mersey Tunnel Joint Committee. Undated.

Attached picture P1000115.jpg
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 6th Sep 2010 2:09pm
Is number 12 that closed of bit? Corpy rd ish not been that way for years
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 6th Sep 2010 3:38pm
Yes, No.12 is the now closed dock branch. Exit at Rendel St.
Posted By: only1pj Re: Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 4th Dec 2010 6:32am
It's only closed because Mersytravel decided that they don't want to make the tunnels free to use as they were originally intended to be!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 4th Dec 2010 11:22am
Originally Posted by only1pj
It's only closed because Mersytravel decided that they don't want to make the tunnels free to use as they were originally intended to be!

I can't see the connection.

The volume of traffic is such that the idea of a junction controlled by traffic lights just wouldn't work. This is the reason that the Liverpool dock branch is exit only.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Birkenhead tunnel cross section - 4th Dec 2010 1:46pm
Good illustration but the tunnel meanders all over the place when you drive down it. The picture makes it look pretty straight.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral