Forums
Posted By: QUEST4TRUTH WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 23rd Aug 2010 12:05pm
Recently on a shopping trip to Birkenhead I paid my first visit to the transport museum in Taylor Street.

Definetly a place well worth a visit.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 4th Sep 2010 6:15pm
my office is opposite. We see the trams go past most days. Its a real hidden gem, I think its because of its location and its not advertised alot. But its not just trams and old cars that they have on show. They have some really good exhibitions and the staff that work there are the nicest people you will ever meet.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 4th Sep 2010 7:49pm
i quite often nip in there for a mooch,i like to see the progress on the big model train set lol...tis a shame you cannot get on the vehicles and look around inside.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 4th Sep 2010 8:25pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
i quite often nip in there for a mooch,i like to see the progress on the big model train set lol...tis a shame you cannot get on the vehicles and look around inside.

which vehicles and look around where?Everytime ive been I have been able to go and look everywhere
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 4th Sep 2010 9:27pm
i mean inside the trams and buses and such like that are on display..every time i have been,they are roped off so you cannot get inside them
Posted By: xantr Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 16th Sep 2010 8:39pm
Sunday 3rd of October 2010 - Wirral Bus and Tram Show 10 to 4pm. One can ride on buses and trams all day. Wirral Transport Museum is a working museum, the vehicles do actually go out and carry passengers. Because of this they require constant maintainance and when work is underway museum visitor can not board to view them. Every year all the road going museum vehicles give free rides which in my opinion more than makes up for the occasional times a visitor can not view a vehicle. One other way to get unrestricted access is to become a volunteer, everyone is welcome. The next twelve months will prove to be an interesting time with regards to the Museum operation at Taylor Street.
Posted By: cathcart Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 6th Jan 2011 6:14am
i visit the museum most sundays if you ask they always let you go on the buses.its great to go on the old blue and creams. its fantastic when you think how old they are. 10 out of ten for giving us great memories.if you havent been go along and live the dream.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 6th Jan 2011 11:57am
When me and Mel went in the summer, they were busy restoring an old tram to its former glory. A very large restoration too, very little of the original could be salvaged.

Anyway, the guy who was doing the work invited us onto the tram and shows us in the detail the legnths they have to go to to restore such things - really fascinating and such intricate work.

As said previously, all the staff are wonderful, really go out of their way to make the trip a pleasent one.

The trams were all roped off the last time I was there, but the times I have been previous to that (once many years ago when it was in the old place near Pacific Road), in fact I think one time may have been with Wiki (Chriskays History Walk i think), they have always let you on a couple of the trams. But the last time I went, it was pretty dead and there wasnt a great deal of staff in there, so I guess it probably depends on staffing levels and health and safety etc...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: WIRRAL TRANSPORT MUSEUM - 6th Jan 2011 9:07pm
A bit of a video i got last year at Birkenhead Park Transport Festival.. wink

[youtube]C8dH-VdaNfk[/youtube]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral