Forums
Posted By: chriskay "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 3:00pm
This isn't local, but the whole country was affected.
I've recently obtained a copy of this magazine dated 2 Feb.1901. It was published every Saturday & was pretty 'upper class'. this issue is interesting because it was the first issue after the death of Queen Victoria (well, actually the second; the first was 2 days after, but that had already gone to press).
If anyone's interested, I'll post some extracts from it in this thread; it gives a great insight into life at the time.

Attached picture Title.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 3:23pm
I would just post it Chris, there are lots of posts in the History section that are not confined to Wirral but have an effect on Wirral, I'll look forward to seeing it and i imagine everyone else will.
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 7:50pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I would just post it Chris, there are lots of posts in the History section that are not confined to Wirral but have an effect on Wirral, I'll look forward to seeing it and i imagine everyone else will.

Thanks, Bert; I'll start soon. I've got quite a collection of extracts ready.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:02pm
I look forward to seeing it. I love stuff like that. Bert is right, it still has an effect on The Wirral as its part of the realm!
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:07pm
Chris, do you realy need to ask mate??
You know we all hang on every word from you `Old Owls` on Wiki.

Post them mate, i have loads of `King and Country` from First World war, telling us all how "The great Tommy Atkins is booting the Kybosh out of old Jerry Hun!", if only the public knew then about the conditions and reality that we know now!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:09pm
Originally Posted by hoseman

i have loads of `King and Country` from First World war, telling us all how "The great Tommy Atkins is booting the Kybosh out of old Jerry Hun!", if only the public knew then about the conditions and reality that we know now!

So let's see them too!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:16pm
Sore point mate, i cant post pics to save my life and lost `our` camera on holiday in Mexico in September, so new one on order for `her indoors` for Xmas! Dont ask to scan as the pages are bigger than A4!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:18pm
Sore point mate, i cant post pics to save my life and lost `our` camera on holiday in Mexico in September, so new one on order for `her indoors` for Xmas! Dont ask to scan as the pages are bigger than A4!!!

Yer sacked!!! Pack ya desk...don't let the door hit on the ass on the way out!!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:20pm
Soz boss!!!! sorry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:25pm
raftl

Give us some voddie!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 4th Dec 2009 8:33pm
Bog off, she`s out n "its MINE, all mine i tell ya!!"
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 2:30pm
OK, a bit of background:(watch out, history lesson coming) oldman
Victoria reigned for over 63 years,(so our present Queen has another 6 years to go to catch her up). She was a widow for over 39 years after the death of her beloved Albert & never came out of mourning; she wore black for the rest of her life.
This issue of "The Queen" magazine was actually published on Feb.2nd. 1901, which was the date of her funeral.
A period of mourning was generally observed in those days, by wearing black clothing. (The nearest we come to it these days is the wearing of a black armband). For families, the period was usually 6 months full mourning & 6 months "half mourning", when the rules were relaxed somewhat. The official Court mourning followed this pattern; I suppose the court were considered members of the Queen's family. The rest of the country was expected to observe a shorter period of mourning: 6 weeks full & 6 weeks half mourning. This explains the large number of adverts in the magazine for mourning dress. I've also included the official notice of Court mourning as published in the London Gazette.
Some more cheerful stuff to follow later. happy

Attached picture court_mourning.jpg
Attached picture mourning1.jpg
Attached picture mourning2.jpg
Attached picture hats.jpg
Attached picture mourning_jewellery.jpg
Attached picture P1010382.jpg
Attached picture P1010385.jpg
Attached picture P1010386.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 4:46pm
Chris you will remember the same as me everybody had black arm bands on when the late King died. Also you will remember the days when men raised there caps or trilby's when funeral cars passed along the road on there outward journy
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 5:06pm
I was always taught to stop and bow my head as the funerals passed. still stop in the car / van to let them by!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 5:10pm
I recall my parents hammering it into me that when a funeral cortege passed by, you stood still and took your school cap off. If you hadn't got a cap on, you just bowed your head in respect. Some chance of seeing that these days !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 5:12pm
Sorry hoseman. Just seen your post. Well done. I think you are one of the few that still do that.
Posted By: bert1 Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 5:21pm
Add me to the list, i think it a generational thing that's from the past, i don't think its a sign of disrespect from the younger ones, its just something that's not done now or taught.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 5:50pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I recall my parents hammering it into me that when a funeral cortege passed by, you stood still and took your school cap off. If you hadn't got a cap on, you just bowed your head in respect. Some chance of seeing that these days !
You do yer know! i was in
funeral cortege the
other week+ found passer bys respectable, especially road
users. didnt cut
up any of
our procession for
instance
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 6:48pm
I sit corrected !!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 10:40pm
Glad to know, Rudebox, that you got some respect. Jimbob, yes, I remember the black armbands on the death of George VI
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 10:43pm
Here's a piece, interesting that it's in the cycling section.

Attached picture automobile.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 11:02pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Glad to know, Rudebox, that you got some respect.
meaning what, chriskay??
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 11:13pm
That no one tried to cut you up & from what you say, passers by showed respect.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 11:27pm
Lol. Ok. Rudey-tempermental today!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: "The Queen" magazine - 5th Dec 2009 11:27pm
Lol. Ok. Rudey-tempermental today!
Posted By: kezzbag Re: "The Queen" magazine - 6th Dec 2009 12:20am
Following on from traditional funeral respectfulness, does anyone close their curtains anymore if there is a funeral in their street? I do but notice that alot of ppl don`t, they stand on their doorsteps having a good nose.
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 6th Dec 2009 12:37pm
Originally Posted by kezzbag
Following on from traditional funeral respectfulness, does anyone close their curtains anymore if there is a funeral in their street? I do but notice that alot of ppl don`t, they stand on their doorsteps having a good nose.

I'd forgotten about that tradition.
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 6th Dec 2009 12:43pm
Now one for the ladies. Note that they charge extra for waist size 27" or more. I make that about a size 10!

Incidentally, this is one of the few adverts which includes a telephone number. Of course, in those days most communication was by post. In cities like London or Liverpool (probably Birkenhead too) you could post a letter early in the morning & expect a reply by lunchtime. You could then reply to that & it would be delivered by evening. Of course, in those days it was the Royal Mail, not the crap service we get now from the Post Office.

Attached picture fashion3.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 6th Dec 2009 12:56pm
And here's how to achieve that sub 27" waist.

Attached picture fashion1.jpg
Attached picture fashion2.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "The Queen" magazine - 6th Dec 2009 1:58pm
Steady on Chris .... this is a family show !!! Just going for a cold shower !!!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: "The Queen" magazine - 7th Dec 2009 4:32pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Steady on Chris .... this is a family show !!! Just going for a cold shower !!!!

By the time they got the women undressed, they must of forgot what they were doing.
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 8th Dec 2009 7:45pm
Nothing like "Bingo Knickers"....... It was one pull and "BINGO!!"
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 9th Dec 2009 4:09pm
Further items of interest to the ladies. I guess that with the hair & the corset, getting ready to go out was quite a performance; don't know how you managed if you didn't have your own maid.

Attached picture hair1.jpg
Attached picture hair2.jpg
Attached picture hair3.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: "The Queen" magazine - 9th Dec 2009 5:05pm
Nothing like "Bingo Knickers"....... It was one pull and "BINGO!!"

you'll never change will you big guy? think
Posted By: hoseman Re: "The Queen" magazine - 9th Dec 2009 7:03pm
My socks change more than me.... and you dont even want to go THERE!!!!!! doh
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 13th Dec 2009 3:18pm
Here's one which should not be viewed if you are of a sensitive nature with regard to political correctness. (You might be surprised to know how recently the use of the 'N' word became offensive).

Attached picture rude boys.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: "The Queen" magazine - 13th Dec 2009 9:50pm
Nice one Chris. Looking back to even are childhood days compared to now, certain things where so simple.
Posted By: chriskay Re: "The Queen" magazine - 19th Dec 2009 12:30pm
Originally Posted by kezzbag

Just found this in the Daily Mirror, 1910, after the death of Edward VII.

Attached picture P1010397.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: "The Queen" magazine - 19th Dec 2009 10:05pm
On the subject of how in years gone by the households in the street where where there had been a death would all have there blinds drawn. Unlike these days where the person who has died is taken to a chapel of rest prior to the funeral. In my younger days every family had the body in the coffin in the house normaly in the parlour. {front room to those to young to know what a palour was} So out of respect the housholds near by all had there blinds drawn.
Posted By: kimpri Re: "The Queen" magazine - 19th Dec 2009 11:43pm
We were not allowed to play in the street if one of our neighbours had died?

All down to respect, smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: "The Queen" magazine - 20th Dec 2009 7:40am
Kimpri and Jimbob are quite right, things use to be done a lot differently in the past, i think respect was shown in a different way. There must have been chapels of rest but i think the majority of people brought there loved ones home to be laid out, and as Jimbob says,normally in the parlour. I can remember as if it was yesterday seeing an uncle of mine laid out in his parlour in Alwyn St, i was about 4 years old at the time. The coffin was open and he lay there in a white shroud, i can also remember asking why he was laying there and i was just told he was a sleep. As i grew up, it was the done thing to go in to someones house to pay your last respects and always as i remember, it was always an open coffin. My own parents were brought home and laid out and people came to pay there respects. I don't know whether this is a tradition, my sister insisted that a member of the family sat up through the night with my parents, Anyone else done that?. Just recently whenever i have known people who have died, i usually end up having to go to the chapel of rest to pay my respects, just the modern way i suppose.
Posted By: kimpri Re: "The Queen" magazine - 20th Dec 2009 11:55am
It was tradition that a member of family sat up all night in the same room with the deceased/loved ones,
Don't think people pay there last respects this way anymore,

Called the WAKE,
© Wirral-Wikiwirral