Forums
Posted By: bert1 Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 7:59am
Though i put this photo up of the dog in another thread, it was only afterwards i noticed some of the things that was in the room that thank God we don't have to have today. We must all have pics of things that are lurking in the background that we wouldn't have today. Taken around 1974/75 apart from the dodgy curtains which are probably back in fashion, i wouldn't really know, and the sideboard which most people had. The TV was my first colour tele that i bought in 1974 for the World Cup, looking at it the top button was for turning it on and there where 4 buttons just below, BBC1,2 ITV and a spare for the next channel to come on stream and the knobs below were for colour and brightness control. By the TV is a packet off 20 Players NO6 cigarettes, no longer available. Underneath the TV is a Dansette record player with a 45rpm record on the top, they also played 33 and 78 records, they had a smell of there own when they were on, probably the heat off the valves inside. The black object on top of the sideboard is a cassette player that had a mic with it. It took one cassette tape for playing and if you wanted to record music of the radio or record player etc, you had to put the mic in front of the radio and press record and just hope the dog didn't bark or someone in the house didn't talk because you would have that on the recording as well. Also on the settee there were stretch covers, these where bought if you fancied a change of colour or to hide a old settee, They came in one size and stretched over hundreds of different styles of settee and where tied underneath the chair. it was a constant battle to keep it the same shape as the settee. So there you are, lets have more pics from you past with old items in them that are no longer used.

Attached picture Quince.jpg
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 10:12am
Love the old record player under the television smile fantastic.. Im presuiming that TV is black and white ?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 10:42am
Bert

"apart from the dodgy curtains which are probably back in fashion"

I do not know whether they are back in fashion either - but I recognise those curtains. I have some in the bag of old curtains I use when decorating.

I also recognise the Dansette record player - I had one of those in the '60s. I still have a load of old '50s and '60s records ie 78s and 45s. I transferred them all to CD and always meant to get rid of the originals - but we never get around to such things do we?

I still have one of those big cassette recorder/ players.

Snod
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 11:19am
Originally Posted by summer01
love the lamp Bert .the place looks cosy .is it a coal fire? the dog seems to enjoy it all .

It was a coal fire Summer, and not long after i took it out along with the chimney breast to make more room. Replaced it with a coal effect electric fire, not many of them around now.

Attached picture rick 11 weeks.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 11:46am
Yes it does, especially when it has a fireplace and hearth.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 12:22pm
I don't have dog pictures so I will have to embarrass myself a bit posting these.
The first shows our awful 'Telephone seat' as we used to call it and our old dial phone that was hard wired (no socket) to the wall.

The second is our old tv similar to Berts. Anyone who can identify the show on the telly gets a brownie point. Its not Airwolf btw.
The second photo was scanned the wrong way round by my dad so that's why the tv control's are on the wrong side.
No silly comments about my hair please. blush

The tv was branded 'HMV' and had the logo on it with the dog by the gramophone.

Attached picture 35 Ian Aug 79 [800x600].jpg
Attached picture 61 Ian Aug 1986 [800x600].jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 1:59pm
is that you in both pictures dude>
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 4:31pm
hart to hart? or quincy ?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 7th Nov 2009 9:23pm
That's Crazy Like A Fox

*I'm so sad to remember*
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 8th Nov 2009 10:54am
Originally Posted by Snooze
That's Crazy Like A Fox

*I'm so sad to remember*

laugh 1 brownie point for Snooze!.

Yes Kimpri1 that is me. blush The pictures would have looked weird if I had edited myself out of them.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 8th Nov 2009 7:50pm
We had those sunny curtains! Then turned them into cushions - Waste not, want not! grin
The tv looks like a Rank/Bush/Murphy. See

http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour2.html

Bri
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 9th Nov 2009 7:16am
Originally Posted by bri445
We had those sunny curtains! Then turned them into cushions - Waste not, want not! grin
The tv looks like a Rank/Bush/Murphy. See

http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour2.html

Bri

The Tv was a Decca and was bought in 1974 at Derwents i think they were called, they were in Oxton Rd just by Charing Cross, I had the TV until 1994 and it never broke down once, I then passed it on to a mate for his sons bedroom and it finally packed in about 5 years later.
Posted By: chris58 Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 9th Nov 2009 8:39pm
i can remember going into mackenzies in grange road west (motor spares place now) and my mum and dad buying our colour tele which we went and paid off weekly!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 9th Nov 2009 9:12pm
I remember Cavendish, the furniture place, now where Superdrug is I think. They had 3 piece suites and all that. Upstairs was the cash office where mum would go pay monthly for the sofa and chairs.

The sofa in question had horrible 70s tapestry upholstery. Yuck lol
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bits and pieces in our homes (The Past) - 9th Nov 2009 10:05pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
I remember Cavendish, the furniture place, now where Superdrug is I think. They had 3 piece suites and all that. Upstairs was the cash office where mum would go pay monthly for the sofa and chairs.

The sofa in question had horrible 70s tapestry upholstery. Yuck lol

That was Cavendish and Woodhouse, if you look at the pups picture, the chair was part of a suite bought there, got most of our furniture there, they had a very good reputation.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral