Forums
Posted By: chris7777 New Ferry park - 12th Sep 2009 11:17pm
does anyone have any olp photo's of New Ferry park?
i am looking for a photo that i saw of the park,i'm sure i saw it on this site,think it was 1926 or there abouts? it had a boy standing by a flower bed with railings in front and the lodge..the black and white building....in the background.
chris.
Posted By: Stegga Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 11:36am
Would this be the one?

Attached picture park_entrance_1926-698x384.jpg
Posted By: SUExx Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 11:47am
omg i live 5 mins from here and this is the first time i have ever seen this photo, thanks
Posted By: SUExx Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 11:51am
do you know the date of the pic and do you know whats the black and whits buildindg on the other side of the road
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 12:12pm
Originally Posted by susan
do you know the date of the pic and do you know whats the black and whits buildindg on the other side of the road
Its 1926 but the building you are talking about was there until about when they built the New Ferry Bypass.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 12:55pm
Originally Posted by stegga
Would this be the one?

yep, that's the one i'm looking for,i want to print it out, thanks for that, happy
Posted By: DavidB Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 4:15pm
I thought that Georgian looking building was the current cafe that stands on the main road.
Posted By: Stegga Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 5:18pm
It is, the view on the picture is from inside the park looking at the rear of what is now the cafe on the New Chester Road.
Posted By: Stegga Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 5:43pm
Here's the view as it is now. Slightly different angle but instantly recognisable.

Attached picture Lodge_1-785x507.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Ferry park - 13th Sep 2009 11:37pm
I'm not sure if that far building could be St Marks Vicarage, it looks likely.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: New Ferry park - 14th Sep 2009 12:50pm
i think it is the Vicarage, that building has gone now and a more modern house stands in the grounds.
chris.
Posted By: Angela Re: New Ferry park - 14th Sep 2009 1:08pm
Does anyone know what the building in front of the park was originally? I'm guessing that it was some sort of a lodge, maybe?
Posted By: SUExx Re: New Ferry park - 14th Sep 2009 1:16pm
it was the park keepers house at one time, years later when there was know park keepers a girl at school used to live there with her family
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: New Ferry park - 14th Sep 2009 1:34pm
Birkennead school of art was the building across the road if that is the one you mean. I think it was donated to the town and was known as The Laird School of Art as well it looked like the town hall and this building were made of the same stone.You could often find a dozen kids window licking as they had nude moddels.Sorry wrong park this was opposite Birkenhead park gates
Posted By: Trearan Re: New Ferry park - 27th Oct 2009 11:14pm
Originally Posted by susan

The black and white building with the tall chimneys on the other side of New Chester Road was indeed the old Vicarage. It was demolished in the late 1960s or early 1970s and replaced with the current modern house.

As stated above, the Lodge was indeed the Park keeper's house. Not sure when it ceased to be a dwelling house, but certainly by the 1980s it was being used to store maintenance equipment by Wirral Borough Council. It sat empty through the early 1990s, but then became a restaurant. Unfortunately, the owner has decided to sell it, and the restaurant closed last year. The building is currently for sale, and I have heard on the grapevine that a local funeral director has an eye on it to relocate his business into. Watch this space!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: New Ferry park - 27th Oct 2009 11:20pm
would be grateful if you have or do get a pic of Station Hotel pub which I think may have become the Queens and is now a supermarket just by station on same side
Posted By: chris7777 Re: New Ferry park - 28th Oct 2009 10:17pm
i have never seen any pictures of the Queens,
only ever knew it as ''The Queens'', don't know about it being called Station Hotel? maybe someone knows different?
chris.
Posted By: Trearan Re: New Ferry park - 1st Nov 2009 2:44am
Originally Posted by chris7777
i have never seen any pictures of the Queens,
only ever knew it as ''The Queens'', don't know about it being called Station Hotel? maybe someone knows different?
chris.

[Linked Image]

I took this in December 2002, just a couple of years before it was demolished. The site was not needed for the actual Aldi store built next to it. Aldi originally bought the pub to include as part of their site, and they were going to build a separate new shop or cafe unit on the site of it. For whatever reason, they never did this, although they demolished the pub shortly after the Aldi store was completed. The site of the pub is now just a pile of mud, some scrubby bushes and bark mulch.

The first pic (above) is taken from Bebington Road; Bebington Station is to the left.

Below is another shot from slightly further back.

[Linked Image]

Below is a shot taken from up the lane, showing the rear of the pub.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Ferry park - 1st Nov 2009 12:17pm
It seems likely that, owing to its location, the pub was originally called the Station Hotel. BTW, the Aldi is where the Rialto cinema used to be.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: New Ferry park - 1st Nov 2009 12:29pm
thanks for the pics
Posted By: bri445 Re: New Ferry park - 1st Nov 2009 1:19pm
I remember a tiny sweet shop in that block in the '40s but what other shops were there towards the Rialto?

Bri
Posted By: pacef8 Re: New Ferry park - 1st Nov 2009 1:37pm
Has no one mentioned the small tunnel at the side of the pub that was the other entrance into the train station, right on the apex of the bend where the tree is now..
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: New Ferry park - 1st Nov 2009 1:44pm
TUNNEL???
© Wirral-Wikiwirral