Forums
Posted By: Anonymous The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 5:03pm

Attached picture Phoenix_1951-s.jpg
Attached picture Wallasey_Village_1880-s.jpg
Attached picture The_Lighthouse_Inn_1898-s.jpg
Attached picture old_cheshire_cheese-s.jpg
Attached picture school_lane_1907-s.jpg
Attached picture advert7-s.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 5:20pm
Nice photos Paul. Love the history of Wallasey.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 5:25pm
Cheers Doc.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 5:28pm
Have you got any more pics of the old mill? I was looking for some the other day but cant find any decent large ones.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 5:33pm
Originally Posted by Doctor_Frick
Have you got any more pics of the old mill? I was looking for some the other day but cant find any decent large ones.

Let me go through all my pictures of the area and I will get back to ya. The problem with pictures of The Breck is they are mostly "picturesque" and so are always taken from afar for postcard release. Usually close ups of the mill is often rare.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 5:35pm
...though there is one posted on the History of Wallasey Village page on my site (which can be viewed on a larger scale by clicking on it) smile
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 7:31pm
Ah yes seen that one. Im having the same problem. The mill is always in the background of the photo...

Off Topic i know, but have you seen that bricked up old gate in the wall of St Hilarys that used to lead to Wallasey hall ? Im trying to get more info on Wallasey hall but it appears to be so old that little to no info remains on it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 1st Jul 2009 8:14pm
Wallasey Hall, where the rectory now stands, once stood in Church Hill and belonged to the Meoles family. First mention of the Hall goes back as far as 1410. I believe there is a sandstone house plate that can be seen at Earlston Library which has the date of 1604 on it. The name on the plate is that of William Meoles. It also carries the initials I.B. In the same year of 1604 the Hall was re-built.

Wallasey Hall was demolised in 1862/63 and the stones were then used for the old rectory. All that remains of Wallasey Hall are of course the bricked up old gate.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 3rd Jul 2009 1:03pm
For Doc

Attached picture scan0045.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The History of Wallasey Village - 3rd Jul 2009 3:24pm
Wow. Good one Paul. never seen that before. good work.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral