Forums
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 12th Apr 2009 6:57pm
I dont know if anyone has seen these strange stones but they are worth noting. Half way down Prentons Roman road are two, very large stones with what can only be described as markings etched into them. I suspect they are pretty old from looking at them but they are also underneath the branches of a trees which must have grown over them, and the tree itself looks pretty old just from its thrickness !

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Attached picture RR_STone_Close-795x588.jpg
Attached picture RR_stone_1-795x588.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 12th Apr 2009 7:18pm
I take it they are bigger than dr stoop's stone?
Have you checked on here? http://www.pastscape.org.uk/default.aspx
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 13th Apr 2009 10:33am
Yep about 4 foot high i would say, not on pastscape.

Maybe something to do with Pack horses that used to use the road?
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 15th Apr 2009 6:33pm
They're old gateposts, you can see the metal bit sticking out where the gate would hook on to, like this:

Attached picture gatepost1_6.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 15th Apr 2009 7:39pm
Hmmm strange i wonder what they lead into ? Will have to look on some old maps. I know one of the stones has metal sticking out but i dont think the other has. hmmmmmmm
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 15th Apr 2009 8:27pm
They are situated close to where an old field boundary lay, may have been a gateway for a field that held livestock. The tithe maps actually show it as a pathway.

Also, depending on the position of the stones, there would only be the need for metal on one stone....a hinge is only on one side.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 15th Apr 2009 10:13pm
I dont know mate its hard to say, they are in te middle of a hedge which runs all the way along distorting your view
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 15th Apr 2009 10:13pm
I wonder what the grooves are for then? Purley decorative ?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Prentons Roman Road - Strange Stones - 15th Apr 2009 10:22pm
The marks on the stone are probably those of the masons tools, a mason wouldn't dress a stone if it wasn't for anything special. ie waste of time and money.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral