Forums
Posted By: chriskay Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 12:51pm
For the edification of you youngsters, i.e. under 40, here's a pic. of the coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971. I'm afraid the farthing, on the extreme right, isn't very clear; the bird on it is a wren. It was sometimes referred to as L.s.d which was Latin: L=Libra=Pound, s=solidus=a Roman coin, d=denarius= another Roman coin. Actually, Libra is Latin for scales, but there was also a weight of 1 libra, or pound, which was about 327 grams. Apart from the coins, we had notes for 10/- (ten shillings), £1 & £5. The £5 notes were not often seen & were large & white. I don't know when the silver 3d. was replaced by the 12 sided one, but I have one dated 1940.
There were 4 farthings to 1 penny, 12 pence to a shilling & 20 shillings to a pound.
Of course, we had to learn how to handle these units, e.g. how much for 3 hundredweight of sand @ 8/6d a hundredweight, 3 bags of cement @ 1/9d & a pickaxe @ £1/8/4d. No calculators of course, but most people would handle it in their heads & perhaps just write down the total.

Even when I was young in the 1940's, the farthing was hardly in use at all. Sometimes things which today might be priced at £1.99p, might have been priced at £1.19s.11 3/4. (one pound nineteen shillings & elevenpence three farthings). Don't know if anyone bothered with the farthing change from £2

Attached picture P1010189.jpg
Posted By: scoops Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 1:01pm
And for years the British resisted decimalisation as "too confusing" wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 1:30pm
It might look and sound complicated these days, but "us" of a certain age had it drilled into us at school via mental arithmatic.

Another, though only used in the professions and maybe higher class emporiums was the guinea. Something would cost 3 guineas ie. £3/3/0d (Three pounds three shillings).

I still have a £.s.d caluculator in the loft. Modern calculators just can't do it. It's 100% mechanical, about a foot square and 4 inches high - and weighs a ton!

I have also a cash register on the sideboard that ranges from 5/0d down to a farthing.

WARNING: When we were "decimalised" everyone was ripped off during the changeover by shopkeepers etc. rounding everything up (and some). Don't EVER EVER EVER let this, or any other crap government try and ditch the pound and go over to the Euro. We will loose out again to every sh*t merchant going !

Sorry - off topic again !
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 1:44pm
The reason items were charged at 19s.11d or 99p today or even £19.99p etc is so the shop staff have to open the till to give you change from a £1.00 coin or a £20.00 note, this means it registers the trans action on the till. Most people will wait for there change from the till which stops the shop staff putting the note straight in to their pocket.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 1:59pm
I, by the way. is only 40 years young and my memory can only recall old pound notes and the 1/2p

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 2:25pm
The one thing we did have to learn with old coinage and imperial measurements was fractions, i don't know whether they still learn them in school now. Also most coins had nicknames,
sixpence...Tanner
Half crown...half a dollar
5 shillings...A Dollar
10 shilling note... half a nicker
1 Pound note....A nicker or Quid
and all shillings were bobs
No they dont teach that anymore Bert wink
Both my grandma and my dad could add up columns of £ s d (inc half pennies and farthings) "all in one go" ie they did not have to add up the pennies/ convert to shillings and remainder etc.

Grandma and gandad used to play Cribbage (card game that normally involves detailed scoring with a wood block and moveable pegs) and they then the kids learned mental arithmetic that way.

I used to watch Grandma run her eye down the receipts in the market from the monthly shop - and she would add it all up in one go and like an eagle she would spot the slightest discrepancy.

After the war dad worked for a time in the accounts dept of a company and he could do "the day to day books" far faster and more accurately than anyone else. Later he was responsible for
the full company accounts

ME? I'm a calculator man

Snod
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

[Linked Image]

That's a modern pound note, the ones I remember are these:

[Linked Image]

and the matching 10 shilling note:

[Linked Image]

I dont meen to sound nasty but you guys must be OLD... laugh
Oh, yes, we are; old & cunning.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 4:17pm
The real problem is - people are too young these days !!

Nurse. NURSE !!!
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Nurse. NURSE !!!

Theres always gonna be young people...
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 5:34pm
Originally Posted by Jamie_LFC

Nurse. NURSE !!!

Theres always gonna be young people...

There's no substitute for experience Jamie
Pre-decimal was made easy work for odds at the bookies because there were eight half-crowns to the pound, twelve shillings to the pound, two ten-shillings to the pound meant that any odds using 8, 12, 4 or 6 were instantaneous, you just thought of the relevant coin(s).

Then there's the nine bob note! (I'll let someone else explain that)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 5:48pm
That's a queer one DD
Yep, very strange!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 5:53pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Pre-decimal was made easy work for odds at the bookies because there were eight half-crowns to the pound, twelve shillings to the pound, two ten-shillings to the pound meant that any odds using 8, 12, 4 or 6 were instantaneous, you just thought of the relevant coin(s).

There you go DD, one from the bookies

Attached picture bookies.jpg
Posted By: scoops Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 5:57pm

Nurse. NURSE !!!

It's a well known fact that youth is wasted on the young wink raftl raftl
... and age is the curse of the old!

ps ta bert!
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Sorry,DD; twenty shillings to the pound, twelve pence to the shilling.
yep, sorry, thought it wasn't adding up, had 144 pence to the pound in my head instead of 240. What was relevant about 144, was it weights?
144=12 dozen.=1 gross

With regard to weights: everyone thinks that "text speak" such as 'cu' or '2L8' is a modern thing, but we've been using it for centuries.
112 pounds = 1 hundredweight. Hundredweight was always abbreviated to 'cwt', because 'c' is the Roman numeral for 100. So, a 'c weight'
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 6:54pm
Lets confuse us all

Attached picture 123.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 7:02pm
Threepence known as a bit or joey
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 7:27pm
A lot of bert's weights & measures were always printed on the back of school exercise books. Always remembered the rod, pole or perch was 5 1/2 yards.

That's been really useful. NOT !
Posted By: jimbob Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 8:26pm
the big difference betwee those of us that went to school in 1940s and 50s we had teachers and disapline, so we left school with the ability to read, write and add up without the help of mechanicle or electricle devises. not like the school children of later years and now who can quote there politicle correct rights and sweet fanny adams else
Posted By: jimbob Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 8:41pm
never was top of the class with my spelling by the way.
Posted By: marilyn Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 10:04pm
well im still feet and inches myself and yes jamie im one of the old ones but oscar wilde was right youth is wasted on youth but enjoy yours and then look forward to being a grumpy old man, i sure enjoy being a grumpy old woman one of ages perks lol
Posted By: marilyn Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 10:07pm
bloody hell one sight of an old sixpence and old three penny bit all us owlies wake up and post
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coinage in use before decimalisation in 1971 - 1st Apr 2009 10:12pm
One minute your young, one minute your old, the next minute your dead.In the fullness of time life is only a few minutes.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral