Forums
Posted By: bert1 Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 1:29pm
In November 1938, Chamberlain placed Sir John Anderson in charge of Air Raid Precautions (ARP). He immediately commissioned the engineer, William Patterson, to design a small and cheap shelter that could be erected in people's gardens. Within a few months, around two million of what became known as Anderson Shelters were distributed to people living in areas expected to be bombed by the Luftwaffe. Made from six curved sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measuring 1.95m by 1.35m, the shelter could accommodate six people. These shelters were half buried in the ground with earth heaped on top.

Attached picture anderson.jpg
Attached picture Anderson unburied.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 1:37pm
The Morrison shelter was approximately 6 feet 6 inches (2m) long, 4 feet (1.2m) wide and 2 feet 6 inches (0.75m) high. When not in use as a shelter it could be used as a table (see illustration) by temporarily removing the welded wire mesh sides.
Whilst the Anderson was constructed of 14 corrugated sheets, and required some digging to let it into the ground, the Morrison consisted of some 219 parts (not including 48 nuts and bolts) and came with 3 tools with which to assemble it.
These shelters were distributed free to most people and over 500 000 had been distributed by November 1941.
The Morrison was extremely effective, if assembled correctly, and undoubtedly saved many lives.

Attached picture morris.gif
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 1:46pm
I would not like to rely on that to stop shrapnel !
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 1:50pm
Terroconcrete, Stent,Reinforced, Public Shelters

Attached picture R1.jpg
Attached picture R2.jpg
Attached picture R3.jpg
Attached picture R4.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 3:09pm
A lot of people during air raids decided to seek protection in their own basement or cellar or even under a sturdy table or under the stairs rather than go out into the cold and often water filled shelters. Shelters were free to anyone earning less than £250 a year and a charge of £7 was made to higher earners. Though the Anderson and Morrison were useless against direct hits they offered excellent protection against compression and debris falling.

Attached picture hshf_img_unloadingandersons.gif
Attached picture hshf_img_bombedout.gif
Attached picture hshf_img_headlines.gif
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 3:48pm
Really good study there bert - thankyou!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 4:59pm
scary stuff, pity todays chavs don`t apprieciate this, its all plastic knives and spud guns these days thinking their `hard`.

grow up in these war times you little fags and see how hard you are then!

crackin post burt happy
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 5:42pm
So true Ste So true.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 5:53pm
The pre-war policy of the Government was to disperse the population in an air raid rather than build large public shelters which might become mass tombs. Many of these public shelters were squat brick and concrete surface built shelters, designed to hold 50. They were dank and dark and had no sanitary facilities. Their poor construction also made them dangerous and deadly places. A nearby bomb burst could lift the roof, usually a concrete slab, which would come crashing down on the occupants. These defects were later overcome by the building of outer blast walls, improving the mortaring of the cement joints and by edging the roof so that it could shift a few inches without falling off the supporting walls A smaller version of these shelters were often erected in property's that had yards rather than gardens, a simple brick construction with a concrete slab for a roof. some of these are still in use now as sheds and coal bunkers.

Attached picture brick.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 6:40pm
When I acquired an allotment in the late 1960s (I was a bit younger then) I remember "finding" a buried Anderson shelter when I was digging foundations for a greenhouse. It seemed to take for ever to dig out bits of rusting metal sheet etc but it had to be done because I did not fancy having a potential "hole" below the greenhouse.

I gave up the allotment about 4 years ago

Snod
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 7:16pm
If you google "Anderson Shelter On Alotments" Youll find some interesting stuff
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 8:42pm
Does anyone have memories of using the Queensway tunnel as a air raid shelter. I remember my Mother telling me the people in her area use to use the tunnel on occasions and i would think seeing as she lived in Wood St it would have been the Dock entrance in Rendall St. I know the underground was also used and apparently a lot of people felt safer under arched brick bridges rather than the public shelter.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 8:46pm
I dont have memorys as I wasn't alive during the war's. But I spoke to the old folk but they werent alive then neither, I should have known. But my mum told stories that my nan told her and yeah they remember that they were told to shelter there if that was the nearest place they could shelter.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 8:52pm
If your house had a back garden you got an anderson shelter, which applyed to most of the semi detached council houses arround Birkenhead. if you lived in a terraced house that had room in the back yard you got one of the brck built shelters, if the terraced house only had a tiny back yard so there was no room for a brck shelter, the larger brick shelters where built in the street, as the one bert1 shows in his photo's. most of the strrets in lower Tranmere had these shelters in them..the bunk beds where wooden frames with thin metal straps accross them. If you where lucky some on had a candle that they lit so you where not in the dark.
Posted By: Riki_Wirral Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 9:20pm
This is a fantastic thread. So much info out there! I wonder if other countries had similar shelters during the war.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 9:38pm
Originally Posted by Riki_Wirral
This is a fantastic thread. So much info out there! I wonder if other countries had similar shelters during the war.

A single person shelter, Germany

Attached picture german.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 9:59pm
Some German air raid protection bunkers ( Luftschutzbunkers )

Attached picture aachen1.jpg
Attached picture aachen2.jpg
Attached picture aachen3.jpg
Attached picture breslau5.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Air Raid Protection - 30th Mar 2009 10:04pm
Originally Posted by Riki_Wirral

France called there's Spain!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Air Raid Protection - 4th Apr 2010 12:54pm
personal protection

Some pics from Fort Perch Rock stand at an exhibition

Description: baby gas mask
Attached picture baby.JPG

Description: baby
Attached picture baby2.JPG

Description: air raid warden
Attached picture ARW MASK AND HELMET.JPG

Description: not sure whether rattle or bell was used to warn if gas dropped
Attached picture alarms.JPG

Description: list of equipment
Attached picture Air raid kits4.JPG
Posted By: w10694 Re: Air Raid Protection - 4th Apr 2010 10:33pm
Anderson Shelter, Neston

[Linked Image]
Posted By: john1788 Re: Air Raid Protection - 5th Apr 2010 2:24am
where in neston is this mate,would love to go down and get some pics..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Air Raid Protection - 5th Apr 2010 11:28am
top work bert, thanks for Sharing bud.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Air Raid Protection - 5th Apr 2010 1:03pm
Nice seeing old threads revived smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Air Raid Protection - 28th May 2010 8:39pm
My brother in law tells me the story of how they put their Anderson shelter up and put grass on top so the Germans wouldn't see their shelter and bomb next doors instead which had no grass. You couldn't make it up could you?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Air Raid Protection - 29th May 2010 10:33am
We had an Anderson shelter. You were supposed to dig a hole about 2 feet deep, erect the shelter in the hole & then bank up the soil & grass from the hole on the top to increase the protection.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Air Raid Protection - 29th May 2010 11:15am
When we moved into our house 17 years ago evey time it rained hard we had a pond in the garden, then we found out recently that there was a shelter in the garden right were the pond formed everytime it rained ,cos it had a big dip in the grass were the shelter had been.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Air Raid Protection - 29th May 2010 11:48am
Here's a picture from the book "Bombers over Merseyside", originally published by the Liverpool Post & Echo in 1943. Re-printed 1983 by the Scouse Press.
It shows the back yard shelters very well. The street running up the pic. is Brattan Rd., with the church at the top of Oxton Rd. in the background & the school (can't remember which), on the extreme right. Looks as if the shelters did their job.

Attached picture 2010-05-29 12-31-02_0120.jpg
Posted By: davew3 Re: Air Raid Protection - 29th May 2010 12:22pm
Just looking at that picture again,if you go to a map just used Google maps and run a rule across Bratton Road it is more or less inline with Cammell Laird wet dock so early bomb release a possibility,the line more or less runs across to Hoylake golf club on the corner by Black rocks,a marker perhaps,Moreton had a Starfish site as per a topic on Wikiwirral so the authorities must have known the route,mmm interesting
Posted By: hoseman Re: Air Raid Protection - 29th May 2010 12:22pm
Theres a brilliant shelter just off Mount Rd, as you turn down by the old quarry. Large house just on the corner, all new fences around and electric gates.Was in there repairing a tractor (used to mow the lawn, its THAT large!!). Right next to the driveway is a brick entrance, and the shelter is built into the solid rock and faced with brick and has a "rockery" ontop!! very complete, guy doesnt know what to do with it, maybe a wine cellar he says!!!!
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Air Raid Protection - 5th Nov 2013 9:16pm
Great idea there- I see what you mean- they went in for the bombing and missed
Posted By: dingle Re: Air Raid Protection - 18th Sep 2016 12:15am
The school in the above picture is Christ Church Claughton(my old Primary School). My old house 12 Dingle Rd is on the right edge of the photo directly opposite the school. On the night this happened my old mum said the house next door 10 Dingle Rd just fell down.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Air Raid Protection - 19th Sep 2016 10:03am
We lived at 23 Bromborough Road, Lower Bebington, and only one house had an Anderson shelter, in the front garden of policeman Mr Ellison's house at No.11.
For the rest of us in the vicinity, I remember big timber joists being installed in the cellar of Stevens' grocers shop opposite and this was where we spent our air raids. There was an Elsan chemical toilet behind a sacking screen in the corner and the instruction was to sing out loud when anyone was using it! There was an overpowering smell of creosote, as used in that contraption!
That reinforcement is probably still there, holding up the shop above.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Air Raid Protection - 10th Feb 2021 11:05am
Couple more shelters.

Attached picture sh1.png
Attached picture shelter.png
© Wirral-Wikiwirral