Forums
Posted By: ninja573 Seacome Train Station - 11th Mar 2009 8:34am
does any one remember seacome train staion over the road from netto.i got child hood mem it was in a very big dip under fell street does anyone remember that tb thanks jon
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacome Train Station - 11th Mar 2009 11:29am
I do intend to do a piece about the Liscard/Poulton and Seacombe Railway Line for my Wallasey Site but I am doing other things at the moment so its currently on the back burner for the time being.

In the meantine, here is a useful website about the Seacombe line

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/s/seacombe/index.shtml

and..have some pics..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope its helpful.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacome Train Station - 13th Apr 2009 1:12pm
Originally Posted by ninja573
does any one remember seacome train staion over the road from netto.i got child hood mem it was in a very big dip under fell street does anyone remember that tb thanks jon

is right john thumbsuptold you someone on wiki would know of this. wink

thanks for the info Paul thumbsup

there is work getting done there. anyone know whats going on???
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Seacome Train Station - 13th Apr 2009 1:21pm
wow mad omg
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 1:09am
nothing is left of the "dip" only the part of the road bridge in the kwik save car park remains.
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 6:06am
Wow i didnt even know there used to be a train station in Seacome, learn something new every day. I love the lil car in the 3rd pic, my grandad had one lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 7:07am
A Morris (or Moggy) 1000. Great cars. Still quite a few around.
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 8:48am
i never even knew there was a station either, I had a Moggy Minor, love them smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 11:34am
The line and station can clearly been seen in the top left hand side of the pic. It was opened on 2 January 1895 and closed in January 1960. The Seacombe branch connected to a station in Mill Lane and then went onto Wrexham. The actual cut-through used by the railway is actually still used as the approach road to the Tunnel.

Attached picture SEACOMB4-1.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 12:14pm
I remember using the station as part of a day out. I started at Woodside & took the train to West Kirby, via Hooton & the line which is now the Country Park. West Kirby to Bidston & change there for Seacombe. Seacombe to Liverpool by ferry, then the ferry back to Woodside. I'd looked at the timetable for the Wrexham to Seacombe train, which wasn't too frequent, which governed the time I spent at West Kirby. Made a great day out in the summer for a rail enthusiast (me).

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacome Train Station - 15th Apr 2009 8:29pm
Originally Posted by Lukeo25
nothing is left of the "dip" only the part of the road bridge in the kwik save car park remains.

noonooall so this wall is left looking west to the site of Seacombe station the small section of sandstone wall.

thanks to Paulwirral for the photo happy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pablo42 Seacombe - 17th Nov 2011 10:57am

An old ariel view of Seacombe. The ferry is in the foreground, Seacombe Station is still in place. St Pauls church can be seen centre. Anybody recognise anything else?

Attached picture 22seacombestation.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: Seacombe - 17th Nov 2011 12:20pm
Luggage boats. Note the roadway running down to the ferry. Probably just before tunnel opened. There are buses parked so probably after 1933 when the trams finished.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Seacombe - 17th Nov 2011 12:23pm
Yes, there's a railway station, the banks still there and there's no smack heads in sight smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Seacombe - 17th Nov 2011 9:59pm
There was a postoffice at the ferry terminal as well.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Seacombe - 18th Nov 2011 12:32pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Luggage boats. Note the roadway running down to the ferry. Probably just before tunnel opened. There are buses parked so probably after 1933 when the trams finished.

The photo was part of a series taken in c1947 by Aerofilms, hence the air-raid shelters still visible in the area behind the Seacombe Ferry Hotel.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe - 18th Nov 2011 1:51pm
When did the luggage boats actually stop running ? The one at the stage would appear to be "in steam" (condenser outlet discharging) ?
I would have thought that by 1947, they would have been scrapped, or at least laid up.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seacombe - 18th Nov 2011 2:06pm
The luggage boat service ran from Woodside to Liverpool between 1879 to 1941, The Seacombe luggage service ended in 1947.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Seacombe - 21st Nov 2011 8:47pm
It was proposed to resite the station onto the vacant plot of land behind the Seacombe Ferry Hotel. This didn't happen and is why the station had temporary buildings until it closed; it also only had wooden platforms until BR spent money on a new concrete platform in the early 1950's. Instead of curving southwards the line would have carried on in a straight(ish) line. The layout of the station would have been similar to that of New Brighton with an island platform with lines on either side.
Posted By: granny Re: Seacome Train Station - 24th Jan 2012 9:08pm
Is this of interest to anyone?
Hope you haven't had it before.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/seacombe/index.shtml
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacome Train Station - 24th Jan 2012 9:21pm
Well spotted. Well presented site that I've not seen before. Thanks.
Posted By: granny Re: Seacome Train Station - 24th Jan 2012 9:43pm
Very welcome.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seacome Train Station - 25th Jan 2012 8:45pm
Yes, the Disused Stations site is very useful. It includes Rock Lane and Tranmere stations, of which no evidence remains. They were replaced by Rock Ferry.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral