Forums
Posted By: kimpri Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 2:26am
Can anyone remembre the little arcade next to the cafe on the bend morton shore had one arm bandits shock machine. fags and things.made of wood not sure if burnt down..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Morton shore - 26th Feb 2009 9:14am
Yes. Wasn't it just opposite the bus stop. As a child I used to get the No.77 that turned round there. I think the bus driver/conductor used to grab a quick cuppa at that cafe/arcade.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Morton shore - 26th Feb 2009 9:49am
I remember that i think it was painted green, yes and we use to jump the 77. Up there was the Apollo club, is that still open, and just by it was a Poodle parlour for cutting their hair. Wasn't there a roller skating ring or was it the apollo before it was a club.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Morton shore - 26th Feb 2009 11:07am
Spot on with the Roller Skating Rink ! I'd forgtotten about that. (Nothing new there then !)
Posted By: hoseman Re: Morton shore - 26th Feb 2009 6:35pm
The Apollo is still there, a dance studio tho, dont know if still going! There is a small cafe on the corner of pasture Rd at the Moreton / Leasowe shore terminus!
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Morton shore - 26th Feb 2009 7:22pm
dont think the cafe opens up any more,it is owned by a guy called gerry and he buys and sells pallets for a living now.next door is a small garage car body repair shop(alan hyde).the cafe used to open up on sundays for the car booties. there is a decent cafe just over the road towards the shore,does a mean fish and chips.nice when taking a stroll along the shore.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 7:24pm
by the way a little bit of trivia,moreton has an e in it but the pub up the road does not...morton arms..dont know why though,am sure someone on here will know why!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 7:42pm
Dragons teeth, Moreton Shore, taken from coastal defences thread.

Attached picture 12412.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 8:00pm
heck they look very rudimentary!
Posted By: PhilH Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 8:49pm
How old is that photo Bert?
I can remember it clear and I know what its like now but those pointy ones I missed!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 8:51pm
Were these for stopping tanks?
They'd probably just crumble under the weight!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 9:07pm
Interesting - The 1910 map has "Castle Blake" on that corner, the 1895 map has rifle ranges between that corner and the sea. The dragons teeth can be seen right along the Wallasey Embankment on the 1970s aerial pictures. See Cheshire Tithe Maps for all above.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Moreton shore - 26th Feb 2009 10:33pm
Originally Posted by PhilH
How old is that photo Bert?
I can remember it clear and I know what its like now but those pointy ones I missed!

That photo is from another thread, I can remember playing on them in the early sixties, They were a defence against tanks coming ashore WW2.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Moreton shore - 28th Feb 2009 8:19am
put lay lines out from dragons teeth many years ago one night the fog come down just as we started to walk back in from low water mark had nets out aswel f**kin sh*t my self. ended up by meloes no compass.. were was castle Blake never heard of it..
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Moreton shore - 2nd Mar 2009 5:09pm
"Further down to the shore an old building still stands now under constant security as it has completely shut down. It was formerly known as Father Berry's home or Castle Blake, when it was used to house orphans from Liverpool who's parents had been lost at sea whilst serving in the Navy. In later years it was the lighthouse café, providing a year round service to the day tippers and locals. The large grey house now stands empty on the corner of Leasowe road waiting for somebody to take over its lost history "

Further Info
Posted By: kimpri Re: Moreton shore - 2nd Mar 2009 5:25pm
THANKS only known it as the cafe the arcade was just to the left of bulding. you lern some thing new evry day the cafe has been there over 45 years the????
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Moreton shore - 2nd Mar 2009 6:09pm
castle fields estate just off Leasowe rd next to Leasowe Castle

Does anyone know anything about it
I vaguely remember a mate taking up a lane about there when we were trying out his car and there appeared to be wooden chalets there

What,s its history and how long has it been there
Posted By: bert1 Re: Moreton shore - 2nd Mar 2009 6:58pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
castle fields estate just off Leasowe rd next to Leasowe Castle

Does anyone know anything about it
I vaguely remember a mate taking up a lane about there when we were trying out his car and there appeared to be wooden chalets there

What,s its history and how long has it been there

Its possible the lane you my be talking about is Ditton Lane off Pasture rd. in 1973 i went to see a property there with a view to buy and they were constructed with a mixture of timber and asbestos sheeting similar to the prefabs they built after the war, though they were not prefabs. The lane was unadopted and was the responsibility of the residents and it stunk of Cadburys. Glad i never bought it as i think it fell or had to be knocked down a few years later.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Moreton shore - 2nd Mar 2009 7:17pm
no

here's where I mean next to Leasowe Castle

At the time I thought it was a sort of gypsy type site

Attached picture Castle Field Estate.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Moreton shore - 2nd Mar 2009 7:42pm
Castlefields is a private residence estate. Some houses ARE wooden but most now rebuilt in brick, all bungalows i think. A mate lives down there, been a few yars sinse driven up it. Its next to Leasowe Golf Club!!
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Moreton shore - 3rd Mar 2009 12:41pm
Your probably thinking of the wooden challlets that used to be in the fields that tarran industrial estate now cover. They were holiday homes and some perminant homes for many people from 1900 - 1970's. One of the fields was called Kers field. They woulf requently flood and there are many photos showing this. One of Moretons oldest residents Frankie Biddle who owns the farm next to the cafe used to get taken to school down lingham lane on a horse and cart. He has many photographs of the challets in the early days.

With regard to the cafe building i think it has been there much longer than 45 years but unfortunately the render covers up most of the detail. Looking at the windows i would say probably built 1920-1930.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Moreton shore - 3rd Mar 2009 12:45pm
sorry yes there was also some prefab houses and caravans on the land around Ditton Lane and what is now Burtons site. Lots of the Prefabs were built in the muddy fields around 1940s / 50s after ww2 bombing had took its toll. Giving Moreton the nick name "shanty town" and "Moreton in the mud".
Posted By: kimpri Re: Moreton shore - 4th Mar 2009 5:16pm
ye well over 45 years i ment i can remember it when i was a kid on our days out to the shore. mr biddle sound bloke lets me shoot on his land.. hes got to be in his 90s by now??
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Moreton shore - 4th Mar 2009 8:13pm
Yep he is certainly in his 90's. He is a great fella full of stories. He has also helped co write some history books on the Moreton area.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Moreton shore - 5th Mar 2009 1:12am
you would be there till next year. and only told you half of the stories through out his life bit of a nutter in his youth iknow a lot of farmers told me a tail or two about Mr f biddle
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Moreton shore - 6th Mar 2009 9:15pm
funny that because mr biddle tried !! to run me over this morning in the petrol station in his battered old blue tranny van,think that is as old as he is.went down to his house the other day to buy one of his moreton history books but he was not in.sometimes comes in to the builders merchants i work in but is always in such a rush.will have to have a nice chat with him one day when he gets a bit older and slows down a bit lol.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Moreton shore - 6th Mar 2009 9:38pm
you might have a long wait he never stops
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Moreton shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:34pm
never seen him without his wooly hat either...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral