Forums
Posted By: bert1 Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 8:51am
Years ago when i was just a young whipper snapper when men where men and women knew it and you couldn't buy sheep dip (lager) in a pub, well maybe the odd bottle, We use to start off in the Stork and have a pint and walk around the corner and have a pint in every pub in Market St up to the Glass Barrel and include the Letters for good measure. Jimbob reckons there was another pub further on from the Glass Barrel, towards Chester st (anyone know). At that time if you wanted anything to eat, it was normally the Capitol you went to, you couldn't starve in Market St now. I can't remember all of the shops but Haylocks shoes were on the corner and there was a little diy shop and a tobacconist also a jewelers there somewhere, I bought my wife's wedding ring there and yes her finger is still going green. What else was in Market St at that time ?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 10:58am
was it
223 Ranelagh Family and Commercial Hotel La Bodega 2 Market Street 2 88 Chester Street 88
It would have been on the corner of Chester St where there's a bit of wasteland
I don't remember it
I think there was a pub called the Castle on the other side of Chester St round that area
224 Glass Barrel 14 Market Street 14
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 11:17am
The pub you're talking about was on the corner of Chester Street near Pilgrim Street, next door to the county court building, but I can't remember its name. It was certainly there up to the mid-70s. The Castle was further down towards the tunnel entrance, on the corner of Chester Street and Ivy Street.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 11:47am
looked at a map on the wall going into the Archives and Raneleigh hotel shows up on corner of Market St

Looking at a 1909 map of Birkenhead shows a pub also there
On the corner of Albion st it doesn't show the Glass Barrel
but shows another pub on the other corner of Albion Street
which would have been on the empty site next to Hornblowers/Market Inn etc
Sorry can't help with name

Attached picture archive map.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 12:43pm
On the corner of Market Street and Chester Street, just along from the Glass Barrel, was the offices of the UAB (Unemployment Assistance Board), where in the old days men who were out of work had to go to sign on for the dole and be questioned by officials. It was known locally as 'The Brew' and was an intimidating place. Does anyone remember going there?
On the other side of Market Street opposite the UAB, in the 50s and 60s, there was a small sweetshop called Lay's. Lay's was in the same impressive Victorian terrace as the former Fox's Lodging House, which had quite a reputation among older folk as having been a bit of a rough place. All this block (the Market Cross) was one of the original developments in Birkenhead from around the 1840s, when the town was being planned by the Lairds and their associates as an elegant vista of handsome buildings and wide streets. It was a tatty and neglected old place for many years, but has since been restored and is now offices and flats.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 1:19pm
my best mate lived in the flats Prioty Buildings
Anyone have pictures of them
Can't remember when they came down 70s?
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 6:33pm
wasnt the shoe shop known locally as oddbods because you could buy pairs of shoes of odd sizes very cheaply,my wife seems to remember this from when she was a little girl and her parents were skint.
Posted By: angie Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 8:50pm
Was it the Copperfield ?
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 24th Feb 2009 10:56pm
I seem to remember

1. crown and cushion
2. copperfield
3. barristers
4. market inn
5. glassbarrel

then the signmaking co: Cowan Signs (now on old chester rd)

(correct me if wrong!)
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 12:25am
In the late 60s-early 70s, these are some of the places I remember if you were going up Market Street from Argyle Street on the left-hand side: On the corner with Argyle Street, there was a record shop, then a chip shop, the Caledonia pub, the Crown and Cushion pub, an amusement arcade, an off-licence and the Hamilton Vaults pub (later renamed The Copperfield) on the corner with Hamilton Street. Across Hamilton Street, on the section of Market Street going up to Chester Street, there was a jewellery shop (which also sold sporting equipment such as air rifles) The Market Inn pub, The Globe pub, the Glass Barrel pub and the UAB offices.
Going up Market Street on the right-hand side from Argyle Street, there was a carpet shop, a cafe, a newsagent / tobacconist (I think) and Haylock's shoe shop on the corner of Hamilton Street. Across Hamilton Street on the right-hand side was the outside section of Birkenhead Market, where stalls were set up only on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (if I remember right). I know I've missed out some places, so please fill them in if you can.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 6:10am
Well done yoller, that's helped a lot, brought back many memories, i do remember the Air rifle shop now. The jewelers was definitely a stand alone jewelers, didn't sell anything else. I seem to remember a butcher on the corner of one of the side streets, that sold spit roast chickens. On the corner of argyle/ market st opposite the outside market was there a lighting shop and further up a shop which may still be there that sold blinds and curtains etc
Posted By: kimpri Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 7:54am
The butchers that sold the spit roast chickens could of been in grange rd..
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 8:12am
Originally Posted by kimpri1
The butchers that sold the spit roast chickens could of been in grange rd..

I remember that one, I'm sure there was something similar in Market St.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 9:25am
Originally Posted by bert1
Well done yoller, that's helped a lot, brought back many memories, i do remember the Air rifle shop now. The jewelers was definitely a stand alone jewelers, didn't sell anything else. I seem to remember a butcher on the corner of one of the side streets, that sold spit roast chickens. On the corner of argyle/ market st opposite the outside market was there a lighting shop and further up a shop which may still be there that sold blinds and curtains etc

My mistake, lighting shop was corner of Hamilton st/ Market st
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 9:46am
Thanks, Bert1, - you're right about the sports shop being separate. We used to sneak in there as kids and drool over the air rifles, which we could never afford. Was this shop, or the jewellery shop (which was next door), called Murphy's? That name seems to ring a bell. And you're right, there was definitely a butcher, I think on the corner of Market Street and Henry Street.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 10:16am
i do remember the Air rifle shop now. The jewelers was definitely a stand alone jewelers,

I remember buying an air pistol at a shop on that part of the street (opposite the market), but I thought it was a shop which sold other stuff, maybe like a second hand shop or even a pawnbrokers. After all this time though, nearly 60 years, memories get a bit hazy.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 10:16am
murphys was the name of the shop that sold air rifles/shotguns aswell as photo cam in market st bought wy first new crossman rifle there 1976.The pub up market st was it the Globe.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 11:05am
Originally Posted by chriskay
i do remember the Air rifle shop now. The jewelers was definitely a stand alone jewelers,

I remember buying an air pistol at a shop on that part of the street (opposite the market), but I thought it was a shop which sold other stuff, maybe like a second hand shop or even a pawnbrokers. After all this time though, nearly 60 years, memories get a bit hazy.

Cheers, Chris.

The shop definitely sold air rifles etc as well as hunting knives and camping items, things for the outdoor life, I think you could get things like mouse traps and stuff to kill cockroaches
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 11:25am
Murphy's seems to ring a bell. Did they have a shop in Exmouth St. too? I bought another air pistol somewhere in Exmouth St. Both were second hand; never could afford a new one. Both were Webley Seniors.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 11:47am
The only ones i can remember down exmouth st are Bentley's pawn shop. Owens cycles shop that had a dummy dressed as a police man and a penny farthing bike in window and okells.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 12:04pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
The only ones i can remember down exmouth st are Bentley's pawn shop. Owens cycles shop that had a dummy dressed as a police man and a penny farthing bike in window and okells.

Chris maybe got his pistol from the pawnshop. Did the pawnshop move around the corner to Conway St. I remember buying a wrist watch from there which i couldn't leave in the bedroom at night because the tick kept me awake. No wonder someone pawned it.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 2:45pm
hope these help FROM 1916 STREET DIRECTORY

I've been told by a couple of guys that in Market st on the other side of Argle st that there used to be 2 old ladies
that used to serve beer in a very small bar

I suspect that what was once the nut factory may have been a
hotel once

Attached picture Market st 1916.jpg
Attached picture Market st 2.jpg
Attached picture Market st 3.jpg
Attached picture Raneleigh or UAB.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 3:00pm
Market St areafrom 1909 Birkenhead Map

Attached picture map1 resized.jpg
Attached picture map2 resized.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 3:23pm
Going by the numbers it must have been The Ranelagh Hotel Jimbob remembers, What happened to it ?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 3:28pm
if he's right I think it may have changed to the UAB

never had to go there when I left school had a choice of 5 jobs
to go to
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 3:43pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
if he's right I think it may have changed to the UAB

never had to go there when I left school had a choice of 5 jobs
to go to

Didn't realize the UAB was the same site. Never went myself.
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 5:07pm
I think the pub Jimbob was referring to was the one next to the county court on the corner of Pilgrim Street and Chester Street - on derekdwc's map, you can see a building next to the court marked PH. Also, I think the Glass Barrel has been marked wrongly on the map - isn't it the next building up, other side of Albion Street? It's interesting to see that the UAB was also once a pub.
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 5:13pm
I'd agree that the pub WAS the Ranelagh Hotel. As you walked up Market Street towards Chester Street, it was directly across the road on the corner. The UAB was definitely not a pub in the 1950s, but I don't know about before that.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 5:50pm
was this the pub
Clarendon Hotel Chester St

In the previous posts was the waste ground with the billboards where the UAB used to be top of Market St

Attached picture Clarendon Hotel Chester St.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 6:22pm
Well done, derekdwc, that latest street directory shows it was the Clarendon and not the Ranelagh.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 6:28pm
Originally Posted by yoller
I think the pub Jimbob was referring to was the one next to the county court on the corner of Pilgrim Street and Chester Street - on derekdwc's map, you can see a building next to the court marked PH. Also, I think the Glass Barrel has been marked wrongly on the map - isn't it the next building up, other side of Albion Street? It's interesting to see that the UAB was also once a pub.

I agree the Glass Barrel was on the other corner of Albion St.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 6:45pm
Bentleys The pawnshop was the last shop on exmouth st Conway st. give ur pawn ticket in through a little hole paid what was due got ur belongings back.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 6:46pm
was this the pub
Clarendon Hotel Chester St

In the previous posts was the waste ground with the billboards where the UAB used to be top of Market St

Where the waste ground is with the billboards, that must have been the Ranelagh Hotel. The street directory you posted has that at No 2 and the Glass Barrel at No 14. If the Clarendon was there the Ranelagh and the Clarendon would have to be touching each other.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 10:13pm
I thought this was next to hornblowers on the corner ??
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 10:16pm
To explain where ?? im most prob wrong but wasnt there a building there ages ago ??

Attached picture d.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 10:40pm
I remember Fotocam, they used to do the custom work on my rifles! Custom slings, sights and silencers!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 25th Feb 2009 11:28pm
Always went there for parts at one time dead cheap sold shotie cartridges 75p boxes of 25 1980s only one in b/head then and since went expensive may be his son took over. didn't have to show ur licence in them days.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 26th Feb 2009 10:02am
Originally Posted by hoseman
I remember Fotocam, they used to do the custom work on my rifles! Custom slings, sights and silencers!

Was fotocam opposite the outside market in market st. It seems that there where 2 shops that sold air rifles etc and 2 jewelers. The gun type shop and jeweler thats fresher in my mind were in market st between argyle st and hamilton st. Talking to Jimbob this morning there was also a gun shop and jewelers in market st between hamilton st and chester st.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 26th Feb 2009 12:24pm
If it's of any use, here's a map from about 1970 which shows the numbering & also some of the pubs. By that time, the Ranelagh, at No.2 had disappeared, in fact the numbers 2-6 now are part of the building No. 86 Chester St. From my (fading) memory, the shop where I bought a pistol was about No. 30.
Also a postcard I bought recently on e-bay, taken, I'd guess, from the upper floor of the Hamilton Vaults.

Cheers, Chris.

p.s. don't forget the useful tip about Ctrl and + - keys to enlarge/reduce.

Attached picture Market St.jpg
Attached picture Market square.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 26th Feb 2009 1:53pm

Pity the name of the pub wasn't shown next to County Courts

must have been a pickpockets dream

I wonder what the punishment was if caught then and what it would be today
Great postcard thanks
Posted By: hoseman Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 26th Feb 2009 6:53pm
Foto Cam is at about 25 or 27, next to post Office i think!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 2:18pm
Originally Posted by yoller
I'd agree that the pub WAS the Ranelagh Hotel. As you walked up Market Street towards Chester Street, it was directly across the road on the corner. The UAB was definitely not a pub in the 1950s, but I don't know about before that.

Just been talking to someone trying to find out the name of the pub next to the county court, no luck yet, but he reckons the county court, Pilgrim St was turned into the uab/brew, said he went there loads.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 2:47pm
According to the directory page posted by derekdwc, the pub next to the court was the Clarendon, numbers 109 & 111 Chester St. You can just see it on the map I posted.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 3:39pm
According to the directory page posted by derekdwc, the pub next to the court was the Clarendon, numbers 109 & 111 Chester St. You can just see it on the map I posted.

correct Chris, But was the chap right then was the courts turned in to the uab/brew.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 3:53pm
what does the brew part mean

Sounds like something to do with beer
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 4:12pm

Unemployment/ benefits office i have always understood it to be.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 4:30pm
Bert's right. If you're "on the brew", you are on the dole. I think it's a term just used in the North of England. Could be wrong. Never hear the phrase used up here in Haggisville!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 5:00pm
I was wondering how Market St got its name, Skid Row, well its an Northern American term for a run down or a dilapidated urban area with a large impoverished population.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 27th Feb 2009 5:18pm

correct Chris, But was the chap right then was the courts turned in to the uab/brew.

No idea, Bert, never went there myself; escaped by joining the RAF.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 28th Feb 2009 8:47pm
I think we have established the Clarendon hotel was in Chester St next to the County Court, where were the following pubs located on Chester St.

Letters
Birkenhead Arms
Duches of Edinburgh
Golden Lion
Kosseth Arms
Posted By: jimbob Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 28th Feb 2009 9:24pm
The Letters was on the corner of St Mary's gate and Chester Street. the Birkenhead Arms was directly opposit the Letters as you walked round the corner of Chester Street and headed towards the top of tunnel road and on towards town. this was before the tunnel entrance area was altered. there use to be a Zebra crossing at the top of chester street so you could stagger out of the letters and across the road into the Birkenhead arms with out getting run over. happy days {late 1950s}
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 28th Feb 2009 9:54pm
15 Adelphi Street (on the corner of Market Street) was the "New Inn" in 1950s
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 1st Mar 2009 12:09am
90 Kossuth Hotel 18 Chester Street must be the building in between
89 Worsley Arms [Queens Arms (Cuckoo)] 16 Chester Street 16 1 Bridge Street
and
91 Dispensary [Hamlet] 20 Chester Street
next to the police station

Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 1st Mar 2009 12:22am
On the list i have, The Letters has bracketed next to it 6 day house which i assume it was probably shut on a Sunday because of religious grounds,the same as some of the pubs in Wales. when i started drinking i don't recall pubs being closed on Sundays, though they did have fewer opening hours.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 1st Mar 2009 1:05am
I'm still saying there was a pub called the globe??? round skid row..
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 1st Mar 2009 1:10am
Certainly was - Globe Inn - 22 Market Street, Birkenhead
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 1st Mar 2009 2:10pm
the Globe and the Market Inn are joined together now as Hornblowers

on the edge of the pic you can see the Glass Barrel

Attached picture Hornblowers  26 Market Street  Birkenhead.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 1st Mar 2009 4:48pm

Been doing a bit of research about "the brew". Haven't found its origin, but many references to its use in Scotland & Northern Ireland as well as England. Also spelled "bru" & "burroo"

From "Understanding the Scottish language"

Brew: Dole: The Brew or the Dole office is the unemployment office in Scotland. When people become unemployed in Scotland, they go to the Brew to sign on as unemployed. Because the people Britain pay National Insurance to the Government in case they become unemployed, they have to sign on at the Brew or Dole to get benefits.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 12th Mar 2009 1:28pm
here is a better map showing the Ranelagh and Clarendon

Tried to photo it on the wall as you go into Wirral Archives

Attached picture Ranelagh and Clarendon.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 12th Mar 2009 1:30pm
No doubting it now, well done.
Posted By: joney Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 5th May 2012 11:46am
You can get maps and locations of pubs from the Wirral Archives. I obtained a map showing my great great grandfathers pub the Bridge Inn from there and found the staff exremely helpful
Posted By: rosieb Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 5th May 2012 12:47pm
my husband from priory buildings started moving out late sixties
Posted By: rosieb Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 5th May 2012 12:51pm
pillor box
Posted By: chriskay Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 5th May 2012 4:20pm
Originally Posted by rosieb
pillor box

?????
Posted By: Tatey Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 6th May 2012 5:38am
Originally Posted by rosieb
pillor box

?????

Is that where one goes to get pilloried?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 18th Sep 2013 4:12pm
My air-rifle was bought from that shop, I was only cleaning it last night. It`s still at my side.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 19th Sep 2013 1:02pm

No idea, Bert, never went there myself; escaped by joining the RAF.

I can confirm the old court buildings in Pilgrim Street became the UBO (I experienced Thatchers Britain as a young Jobseeker) and it closed down around 1981 - concentrating the UBO work at Hordan House....

I desperately wanted to work (unlike now after 33 solid years!!)but it was so bad I went back to school - and ended up with an MSc. !
Posted By: bigpete Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 19th Sep 2013 1:17pm
hope these help FROM 1916 STREET DIRECTORY

I've been told by a couple of guys that in Market st on the other side of Argyle st that there used to be 2 old ladies
that used to serve beer in a very small bar

I suspect that what was once the nut factory may have been a
hotel once

No.138 on corner of Adelphi Street and Market Street - known as 'The Old Maids' (sorry don't know the official name) was run by 2 women who where still there post WW2 - as I have a photo of my Dad having a pint of Stout with my Gran and Grandad and his brothers and cousins - after he was demobbed ! The family home was in Adlephi Street and this was their 'local'..

I think the nut factory was between Dacre Street and Marion Street - not off Market Street - remember the pong vividly...
Posted By: Reno37 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 10th Oct 2013 4:15pm
On the same side of the road just doors away from the Glass Barrel Pub which is now demolished and relaced by Bill Board Hoardings I think the name of the pub right on the corner of Market Street and Chester Street was called the Ranelagh Hotel and was almost directly facing Pilgrim Street
Posted By: Reno37 Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 10th Oct 2013 4:23pm
It was I am sure the Ranelagh Hotel on the corner of Market Street and Chester Street on the same side of the road as the Glass Barrel and just a couple of doors away. The pub was directly facing Pilgrim Street. Now demolished and replaced by the bill boards which can be seen on the site.
Posted By: yoller Re: Skid Row, Market St B' head - 10th Oct 2013 6:22pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...Ranelagh_Hotel_88_Cheste.html#Post826374
© Wirral-Wikiwirral