Forums
Posted By: chriskay Hoylake railway - 21st Feb 2009 11:44am
While looking at an old map, in connection with the Bidston air shafts thread, I found this. It's from 1882 & shows the original terminus at Docks station, at the junction of Wallasey Bridge Rd. & Beaufort Rd., next to where the train sheds are now.
Here's a view also of the site at present. Looks completely undeveloped & unless it's my imagination you can still see the outline of tracks.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...cl=1&where1=birkenhead&encType=1

Attached picture Bidston Moss 1882.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Hoylake railway - 21st Feb 2009 2:48pm
good work!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Hoylake railway - 21st Feb 2009 4:32pm
Sorry to disappoint Chris, but these look like part of Bidston Dock Lines, if you are looking at the same tracks I am.

Here are 1997 pictures ... if you want me to blow up (photographically, not explosives) any area, please shout.

Attached picture BidstonHoylakeLine1997Aerial.jpg
Attached picture BidstonHoylakeLine1997Aerial2.jpg
Attached picture BidstonHoylakeLine1997Aerial3.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Hoylake railway - 21st Feb 2009 5:16pm
In your last pic. you can see the present railway lines of the Mersey railway with the loop to New Brighton & the Birkenhead North sheds at the bottom right. None of those lines existed on the 1882 map. The Dock station of the Hoylake Railway was on the pale patch just above the sheds, across the Birket/Fender. Pinzgauer pointed out to me that on the bird's eye link I gave you can see where there was a level crossing on Wallasey Bridge Rd. which connected with the dock railway system. You can see it in you first pic.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Hoylake railway - 22nd Feb 2009 3:43am
I've just gotten a new book or two on this, I'll dig it out and shove some more information, I'm a railway geek but a local railway geek, somehow I feel better for saying that!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hoylake railway - 22nd Feb 2009 9:28am
You're amongst friends BigBadStuey !
Posted By: bigpete Re: Hoylake railway - 7th May 2009 12:01pm
The lines connecting to the Dock line alongside Beaufort Road, next to the depot were re-jigged in the early 1960's as a 'House Coal Concentration' depot and this operated until about 1980 I believe, I can remember (just) the 21 Ton hopper wagons used on this traffic.
Latterly they were used as overspill sidings for Birkenhead North Electric Multiple Unit depot.
Not used for about 10 years now...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hoylake railway - 7th May 2009 2:07pm
OK. I'm stepping out of the cupboard as well ! Main interest for MANY years has been the Mersey Railway. From 1903 (no, I'm not that old) to the mid '80's. ie. when they had "proper" EMU's. 502 land also of interest.

3rd rail rules OK ! Zzzapppppp.!
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Hoylake railway - 7th May 2009 9:10pm
Docks station was renamed Birkenhead North. The site on which the Merseyrail Electrics depot now stands was the the Wirral Railway's loco shed , works & carriage sidings. The tracks passing the depot were goods lines to the docks & a connection to the Birkenhead - Chester line at Grange Lane .

Bob.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Hoylake railway - 12th Jul 2013 1:25pm
Originally Posted by 8HBob
Docks station was renamed Birkenhead North. The site on which the Merseyrail Electrics depot now stands was the the Wirral Railway's loco shed , works & carriage sidings. The tracks passing the depot were goods lines to the docks & a connection to the Birkenhead - Chester line at Grange Lane .
Bob.

Not quite Birkenhead North on the current site was not built until electrification - it was a carriage shed (for loco-hauled coaches) before that.
An even older carriage shed was built on the other side of the line.

Up until electrification North shed was bang in the middle of the afrementioned goods line.

Please see the attached link for further details:

www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/bidston/index.shtml

Please see the 1899 map on this link on which there are 2 Engine Sheds mentioned - the most westerly in the main line Great Central Bidston shed - the one where North Traction Depot is now - is incorrectly tagged (see text) and the actual shed was the most westerly building in the group that forms the area labelled good station - the goods station was on this site too using the other buildings.

Cheers
© Wirral-Wikiwirral