Forums
Posted By: chriskay Sea Bank Cottages - 17th Jan 2009 3:06pm
In Tranmere. Anyone know where they were? My only idea is that they may have been the cottages on Green Lane.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 17th Jan 2009 3:26pm
Found this Chris .....

"Has anyone got a picture that shows Seabank Cottages that stood in front of Cammell Lairds.

It must have been a pretty pongy place at times due to the Tannery, and I
think an Abattoir, right on their doorstep. These cottages stood between the
Tannery and Cammell Lairds shipyard buildings"
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 17th Jan 2009 4:26pm
Here they are...

Description: Tranmere Seabank Cottages
Attached picture TranmereSeabankCottages.jpg
Posted By: scoops Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 17th Jan 2009 5:31pm
It looks like they'd be about where Ark Royal Way is now.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 17th Jan 2009 7:51pm
Yes Scoops, Seabank Road is now Ark Royal Way, Chamberlain Street is now Valiant Way.

I have some photoes with these cottages in the distance but you can only just see them, I am trying to do some image enhancement but it doesn't look too good.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 18th Jan 2009 12:02am
Thanks, folks; very helpful. I have a record from an old census of an ancestor of mine living at 4, Seabank Cottages. He was a tanner.
Posted By: scoops Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 18th Jan 2009 12:09am
That makes sense Chris, it was certainly handy for work lol
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 18th Jan 2009 12:31pm
I worked at the tannery from 1962
Then the tannery extended from Chamberlain st to Seabank road
the only thing besides the road was the street sign
At the bottom of it was a Wall across it with a gate for entering and leaving Camel Lairds and on the right hand side
was a huge wall where you could see huge black sheds of Camel Lairds.
The only housing about were Green Lane Flats and about 6 houses
which were on the other side of Old Chester Road more or less facing the area between Seabank Cottages and Seabank Rd.
At the end of this row of houses [Rock Ferry end]was a builing which was our canteen for a few years which I was told by the
older men had used to be a pub 1930s/1940s?
Posted By: jimbob Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 18th Jan 2009 3:04pm
That pub you where told about was on the end of the row of house on the corner of a little tiny street called WEST VIEW it ran from New Chester Road up to the railway line. It must have been damage during the war because in the late 1940s we used it as are gang hideout and it had no ground floor left, just a few beams. You crawled in through a tiny window at the back and dropped right down into the cellar. The staircase up to the bedrooms was gone so there was no way of getting upstairs.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 18th Jan 2009 4:45pm
I remember now we called it West view and behind the pub/canteen 2 large sheds were built
One was used to store hides in and the other part with the entrance in West View was used as a repair garage for the heavy goods vehicles and company cars
Posted By: dingle Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 19th Jan 2009 8:12am
DerekDWC, was the tannery called British Leather when you worked there. I had a mate who worked there and I played a few games of football for them.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Sea Bank Cottages - 19th Jan 2009 9:02am
yes it was the British Leather
I used to play for them 2 seasons 66/67? with Wobbler,Donny Murray, Lennie Taylor, George Turton etc and most of the others from the limeyard
Did you play then or when the salthouse formed a team a few years later
© Wirral-Wikiwirral