Forums
Posted By: w10694 Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 11th Jan 2009 9:10pm
originally spotted by the wife, pointing at the building with the hole in the end !

[Linked Image]

It's about here, opposite the caravan parks, the red arrow points to the bunker, the red dots outline the decoy area where fires were lit and lights illuminated to decoy the Luftwaffe bombers:

[Linked Image]

The bunker was buried, but had gutters and drainpipes !

[Linked Image]

The inside is original, the tyres are not !

[Linked Image]

The round hole, was an earthenware pipe for the generator exhaust - this more complete example is on Humberside:

[Linked Image]

The fires were fed by tanks of oil and water, witha all manner of combustible material also used:

[Linked Image]

The Moreton decoy was noted for having being bombed, before it was completed.

The firebar below was dug up from one of the fields (photo courtesy SC)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 11th Jan 2009 9:15pm
Good find mate. I knew there where decoy fire bunkers in the fields around the m53 close to bidston station
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 12th Jan 2009 2:16am
Great find mate happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 12th Jan 2009 2:41am
excellent information, thanks for Sharing happy
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 12th Jan 2009 5:35pm
wow were about's is this in Moreton i wanna go and see it very interested
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 12th Jan 2009 5:54pm
bottom of carr lane by the caravan park i think
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 12th Jan 2009 6:11pm
Thanks Jonno i think a visit is in need
Posted By: hoseman Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 23rd Jul 2009 5:43pm
Used to play in there as a kid, large inside, entrance at rear if i remember!
Posted By: w10694 Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 23rd Jul 2009 9:26pm
Originally Posted by Robbo_theMan
Thanks Jonno i think a visit is in need

It's your duty to have a look !
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 24th Jul 2009 12:27am
it is indeed smile

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 24th Jul 2009 12:33am
Do you like horses?
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 24th Jul 2009 12:33am
lol yerrr why ??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Moreton WW2 Bombing Decoy Control Bunker - 24th Jul 2009 12:35am
Its in a horse field. Usually in the next field.
Got permission of the owner to visit this site, well actually, we got caught tottering around the area, anyway, an extremely nice and helpful young lady gave us a guided tour of the site - thankyou.

Please note, there are a lot of horses and electric fences (yes - some are live) around, please get permission to access the site.

The entrance facing Carr lane has been knocked-through for use as a stable, the real entrance is bricked up on the far side facing NE.

Description: The SW face with knocked-through entrance.
Attached picture IMG_2441-s.jpg

Description: The NW face with generator exhaust port.
Attached picture IMG_2442-s.jpg

Description: The bricked up original entrance looking from the north
Attached picture IMG_2443-s.jpg

Description: Another look at the NW face, the metal is a bracket to hold the exhaust stack. The overhanging concrete is the gutter with downspout hole.
Attached picture IMG_2444-s.jpg

Description: The generator room
Attached picture IMG_2445-s.jpg

Description: The entrance corridor, this bunker also has the pole alog the ceiling, possibly for a chemical protective curtain.
Attached picture IMG_2446-s.jpg

Description: The control/personnel room.
Attached picture IMG_2447-s.jpg

Description: Looking down the emergency exit, this would have had a ladder at one time.
Attached picture IMG_2448-s.jpg

Description: The emergency exit from outside, this may not be original although it gives an idea, it would have been sealed.
Attached picture IMG_2449-s.jpg

Description: The entrance looking from the east
Attached picture IMG_2450-s.jpg
still full of old tyres !
there is a what i can only gather as being a trench with now solid sand bags not far from that old bunker.would imagine it was a watching post during the war.used to be able to climb thru a little tunnel and it would go from one side of the tracks to the other.aint been there for years now
Thanks for that bigdubber, I will check that out - I think I know where that would be. Cheers
Good pics DD, bit fuller than i last remember, about 30yrs ago!!! Wasnt as overgrown then obviously and more intact with less graffitti!! thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral