Forums
Posted By: bert1 Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 8:32am
I was going to tag this on the Bombed Birkenhead posting but i thought these men and women deserved a posting of their own, for the vital role they played during war time.

Attached picture Air raid warden.jpg
Attached picture air raid wardens.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 10:24am
I have a full ARP uniform in my collection, even down to the beret, with all insignia. The battledress and trousers are all the same as the infantree (exposed buttons) all dyey black!
I have been collecting Militeria since i was a kid
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 10:50am
Bert,and quite rightt to.They played just as eqaully important role as everyone else.Great posting.

Hoseman,why not get a load of pics of your collection and post them.Any militaria I for one would be more than interested in seeing it,even more so if it`s from the war yrs.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 11:24am
I agree Dava, Hoseman should put it up, like to see it myself.here is a pic of the tunic.

Attached picture air raid wardens tunic.jpg
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 2:24pm
Fantastic,Why not between yourselves create MILITARIA thread.I am confident that you will get a great deal of interest.Would be a real shame to hide away the itmes you have and also it could be a mark of respect to the people who wore the uniforms,hats and badges you pocess.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 2:26pm
Bert the paper work you have in the second pic,why not post them individually and close up.It will enable people to see exactly what they are and say.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 8:49pm
In 1935 Stanley Baldwin the then Prime Minister ordered all local authorities to plan to protect their areas in the event of war. It was in 1937 that the Air Raid Precaution Warden's service came in to being. The role of the ARP was set out by the government in a Air Raid Precaution publication and distributed nationally in 1938. Some of their duties was the sounding the air raid sirens at the beginning and at the end of the raid. Clearing the area to a 600 yard radius of a unexploded bomb and were responsible for making sure people had gas masks with them.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 10:06pm
I have posted this video on bombed birkenhead thread,Bert thought it would also be apt on here as he rightly pointed out the fact that the civil defence in action at Harrison drive.

[youtube]nvWBGHbOtLQ[/youtube]
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 10:08pm
Bert as requested.thumbsup
Posted By: bert1 Re: Civil Defence & Air Raid Wardens - 21st Dec 2008 10:11pm
Dava thanks and well done
© Wirral-Wikiwirral