Forums
Posted By: Razzi Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 1:06pm
Lowther/ fox/ Craven/exmouth st... Does anyone have any photos of these streets please, or any of the area comprising exmouth st to park road north during the 60s/70s.
I used to live in lowther street & my nan lived on the corner of Fox/craven st until the compulsory purchasing orders of the 70s moved us away.

On the corner of our street was Marriots mortorcycle shop (before it moved to oxton rd) & i remember the building of the fire/ambulance station on exmouth st (as kids we used to stand under the ambulance wash & get soaked). I also have a very early memory of horses being stabled for some reason or another in a yard at the bottom of Craven/conway street, this would be about 1966 id guess on the site where the plant-hire shop is now (behind the queens hotel).
Lol. i also have a memory of my mum dragging all us kids up to the bakers arms on exmouth street and demanding that my father come home for his tea.

Any information on this area would be much appreciated.

Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 2:10pm
I do have a couple of pictures, but due to family interest, they are actually only of Marriots motor cycles before they moved to oxton road. There may be something in the background, but the shots were taken of the shop. will try and get them posted when I finally figure out how to get the images on here...( i am getting close, but they still go massively oversize when i post them) Next few days I will have it sussed.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 2:27pm
Originally Posted by Razzi

Lol. i also have a memory of my mum dragging all us kids up to the bakers arms on exmouth street and demanding that my father come home for his tea.

http://www.temperancetantrum.com/Come%20Home%20Father.htm
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Thanks phil, much appreciated smile

lol & "if only" chriskay ... my mothers version sort of went ...

Expletive, expletive, i've been slaving over a hot stove for hours (she lied) expletive expletive ...i'll beat you to death with your own spirit level if you don't come home now ..expletive ... & your dinners in the dog. Flounce off home.

Teehee smile
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 6:35pm
.... i remember the building of the fire/ambulance station on exmouth st (as kids we used to stand under the ambulance wash & get soaked)....

The 'new' central fire and ambulance station at its opening in March 1973:

[Linked Image]

It replaced the fire station on the corner of Borough Road which was opened in 1895:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 6:56pm
The building in the background in the pic. of the new fire station is the old Astor cinema, corner of Claughton Rd. & Atherton St.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 7:46pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
The building in the background in the pic. of the new fire station is the old Astor cinema, corner of Claughton Rd. & Atherton St.

The Astor was demolished in March 1982, but a small part (in fact 5 small parts) have survived. The five carved 'composers' stones were rescued and put on display outside a builders yard on the Queensferry to Mold Road. They were bought for £700 and shipped to Cork in Ireland.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 8:40pm
Fantastic pictures Uptoncx.
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 9:42pm
Ok.. got the hang of pics now....
these three relate somewhat to this post as well as a couple of others

so firstly Atherton street looking towards charing cross...
someone mentioned Roberts and Jobson the sports shop at the cross, on the Left side of the pic is one of the tennis rackets above the shop window.
[Linked Image]

Then looking the other way..

[Linked Image]

And Finally Marriots Motor Cycles, I think this is before it moved to Oxton road ,
though I was sure the street down the side was Sun Street, but as I cant figure where this was/is I am not too sure.

[Linked Image]

and cheers, top pic of Exmouth street fire station, my dad was a fireman there for many years.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 11:46pm
Great pics. The first one though isn't Atherton St., but looking up Exmouth St. Atherton St. is where the car is emerging, heading towards the Cross; You can see the Astor on the right of the pic. That's Atherton St.
Posted By: Mark Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Dec 2008 11:47pm
[Linked Image]

Posted by Chris Kay in another thread smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 12:12am
Wrong place Mark.

Thats where the current Marriots is.

I can match up all of the pictures to go in the now and then topic, all except one;

[Linked Image]

Map as to where it is please?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 12:34am

Location of old fire station:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 12:42am
Ahh, of course. Thanks Upton.

You can see the spire roof of the building that still there today.

This now and then match was taken a bit further up.

I'll have to get a now and then of all these thumbsup

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 1:21am
excellent pictures guys. thanks for Sharing thumbsup
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 8:15am
Aha.... in another view of the motor cycle shop posted earlier it shows the street sign for the sideroad as Sun Street, so I didnt imagine it...
any ideas where this was?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 9:30am
Top centre of this map (1936, or possibly earlier)

Attached picture Sun St..jpg
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 1:06pm
Great pics, thanks so much guys it's bought back so many memories ..

the white shop on the corner by the lights, looking down atherton street was the best toy shop around for spending your weekly chore money at. On the same block was a greengrocers and we kids were often sent to buy "chats" and a turnip. I also remember the astor being a nightclub for a short whilebut this was later during the middle 70s, i cant remember what it was called.

The marriotts one is brill ty. Just to the right of the door was a long counter which we kids were allowed to sit on sometimes & around the corner on lowther st was a double gate through which we used to watch the bikes being mended. Marriotts frontage was On back bentick street and the next shop up was a barbers, we once stole his bubblegum machine took it round the back entry behind the shop and when it broke open all the bubblies rolled down the hill & we were caught red handed Next door to him on the corner of fox street was len the butchers, NExt corner up was the bookies then houses then a sweetie shop ( a quarter of sports mixtures for a tanner.)

The shop to the right of marriotts (carters) was no 2 lowther street & my friend diane smith lived there, they thought they were posh and NEver got biddies, (or so her mother swore).

Great memories, thanks muchly smile

Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 2:53pm
Thanks for sharing those memories, Razzi. However, I'm now confused. I thought Marriotts fronted onto Exmouth st. I can't find a Back Bentinck St. on the map; did you perhaps mean Back Exmouth St?, that's where No.2 Lowther St. is, but looking at a map (from about 1955) there don't seem to be any frontages to Back Exmouth St., only onto Bright, Fox,& Lowther streets. I've attached the map I'm looking at. think

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Back Exmouth St.jpg
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 3:13pm
In another of the photo's of Marriots, taken looking up the road, shows the street sign for the road between Marriots and Carters( also visible in the posted pic), as being "Sun Street"
looking at the maps, I still cant figure out where exactly this is... Either its the Bentinck Street end or Exmouth Street end of the block. Though I have it in my head that it may have been Exmouth street end.
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 3:18pm
just dawned on me.. I think the other view shows the shop number, will check when I get home...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 3:47pm
Well, given that the street between Marriott's & Carter's is Sun St., Here's another map which may help, 'cos it gives the numbering. If it's Exmouth St, which I think it is, Marriott's will be Nos. 64, 66, 68 & maybe 70. Carter's will be 62. If it's Bentinck St., Marriott's will be 57 & 59. The reason I think it's Exmouth St. is that it was a mainly shopping street, whereas Bentinck St. was residential.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Numbering.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 3:58pm
Razzi: You used a phrase I haven't heard since leaving school a LONG time ago. "Biddies". There was an unfortunate girl in our class at primary school who was thought to carry various forms of wildlife around in her scalp. She was just always known as Biddies. Kids can be so cruel. I guess that will never change. Who remembers the Nit Nurse ???
Posted By: Morseman Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 4:24pm
Always biddies to us too and we were posh being from Wallasey grin Nitty Norah the biddy explorer!
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Dec 2008 10:33pm
I have put this one into negative as its much easier to read the signs in this one.

Chriskay. Spot on.

Marriots was at no 64-66 Exmouth Street and I think later moved into the next two shops, 64 being on the corner of Sun Street. [Linked Image]

Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 11:14am
After having a family discussion maybe this is of help.

Apparently there was a Marriotts on Exmouth st during the 50s. On Chriskays map it would've occupied either numbers 73-77 or 81-85. It then moved, the shop frontage might of stayed tho as i remember as a kid there being a marriotts the chandlers on Exmouth street in that place 1966ish, maybe it was a case of not being able to change the sign?.

Nobody is admitting to knowing if Marriotts moved from there to sun st, numbers 64-66(which going by the pic it obviously did) but by 1969/70 the regeneration had started in ernest & altough the "odd" numbered side of Sun st to the left of the bisecting line was still there everything else from Craven st/exmouth st down to Conway street had been knocked down (the housing estate exmouth way etc now stands on this area.
I believe it was at this time that Marriotts moved from the corner of sun st to Lowther st. Again going from Chriskays house number map everything to the right of the bisecting line had been emptied & ready to be demolished to make way for the new firestation, So Marriotts, not wanting to move out of the area moved up to the corner of Lowther/Bentick st no 92-94. i made a mistake last time , sorry, i left off the number 3 making 32 lowther st, which i have now been told was the number of the flat above carters in which my friend lived (i lived at number36) & marriotts stood on the opposite corner being number 92-94. The frontage was painted red & blue so i've been told, but it was most certainly there, Apparently my cousin (who lived in no 111 craven st) took his bSA bike there to be fixed as it was right down the back entry.
We moved under a compulsory purchase order in 1974 & i think that was also the year that Marriotts moved to where they are now in Oxton road.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit, thanks for all the replies.
Gosh. This has been interesting.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 11:56am
Well, thanks, Razzi.The mystery deepens. Comparing the first photo of Marriott's with the negative one, (which locates it for certain at the Sun St. corner), they are identical with regard to the location of the various posters/notices stuck on the windows and various other details. This means that at that time, Carter's, in the same pic., was at No.62 Exmouth St.
I guess it was at the time of the clearance of the area, (thanks for that info. Razzi), that Carter's moved to Lowther St., because their side of Sun St. was demolished. Marriott's side remained, so their move to Bentinck St. could have been later.
Does this make sense? Even more family discussion may be needed, Razzi.

Cheers, Chris
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 12:18pm
I suspect this isnt going to help clear things up, but I have my suspicions that there were three "shops" all under the same name on Exmouth street..

Walter, had the Yard at what I believe to be 17 Exmouth street , which backed onto the house on Atherton Street, as well as a couple of other shops, one on Borough Road and one on Hinson Street.

Freddy had the motorcycle shop at ( in the time of these pics anyway) 64-66

I also believe David had some business or other located nearby.

I do have a pic somewhere, but that will take some digging to locate.

The pics as far as I am aware are all from the mid 60's.

Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 12:20pm
Yes. They do look like one & the same i admit. Only thing i can remember about Sun st tho was that on the left hand corner on the odd side Sun/craven st end there was a small sweetie/general shop.

To be honest, thinking about it i dont remember it as being CArters. From around 1965, altough the shop itself was still there, the windows had been sort of filmed over & the smiths had moved from the flat upstairs to take it over & what would've once been the shop had become the back living room. shop.

wish i could find a photograph showing the shops on Exmouth street during the later 60s (1969 ish). Have been looking for photos of all of that area for a while now, but they are few and far between.

Still, it has been fun, thanks again for all the help

Ahh, maybe that's the answer.More than one Marriott, would like to see those photos Phil, if you can root them out.

smile

Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 3:27pm
Phew,
Thought it best to go right to the top, so i cheekily e-mailed Marriotts on Oxton rd to see if they had any records of where the original shops were .

Me ...

Hi. I know this sounds a strange question, But we are discussing Fred
Marriotts former shops on wikiwirral.co.uk & we can't decide wether he had a
shop or shops on Sun st/bentick st or Lowther st/Bentick or even Exmouth st
during the 1950/60s. I wondered if it would be possible for you to have a
look through your records and see if you have any addresses for marriotts
motorcycles for these areas, as i could swear when i was a kid, freds shop
was on the corner of Bentick/lowther st.
Thanks for your time.

They kindly sent me this reply.

Hi Karyn
Yes there was a yard on Exmouth street/Gladstone street which was bill
marriott(fred's father)which traded in second had goods, then fred bought
the old co-op which was on Exmouth street/sun street which he had the
motorcycle shop. The shop then moved bentinck street (compulsory purchased)
and then to Oxton Road, the former Birkenhead brewery where we still are to
this day and is owned by Glyn marriott fred's son.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Gareth

Hope this is of interest, lol & glad to know i'm not going mad afterall.

smile

Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Sorted..., and have filled in another part of my family history puzzle. I didnt know about the yard at gladstone street....

William ( Bill mentioned above ) was my great grandad, who went it alone, away from the family trade ( Dairy ) to set up the second hand shops, which my Grandad then carried on, at the yard seen in the first and second photo's I posted and a few other places around, while his brother went into the newly emerging world or motorcycle sales.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 5:17pm

Hi Karyn
Yes there was a yard on Exmouth street/Gladstone street which was bill
marriott(fred's father)which traded in second had goods, then fred bought
the old co-op which was on Exmouth street/sun street which he had the
motorcycle shop. The shop then moved bentinck street (compulsory purchased)
and then to Oxton Road, the former Birkenhead brewery where we still are to
this day and is owned by Glyn marriott fred's son.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Gareth

Ha! well done; a clever thought. The final bit of info. would be to ask if they know the number in Bentinck St. which would place it exactly.
I've enjoyed this little bit of research & hope I may have helped you & Phillhere with your researches.

Cheers, Chris
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 8:10pm
Specifically to Chris.
This should probably go in another thread (borough road), but, I was wondering,
you appear to have maps showing the street numbering for Birkenhead, could I be cheeky and ask if you have the same type of map covering Borough Road, as I am trying to figure out where 279 and 421 Borough road were, being odd numbers they are on the library side, but I suspect the buildings are long gone.
These were the the two addresses of the family the around the turn of the century.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Dec 2008 10:06pm
I'll have a look, but not many of the maps to which I have access are at that scale.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Dec 2008 9:21pm
Phillhere, you have a PM
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 14th Dec 2008 11:23pm
A few now & thens...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will add these to the now and the forum when I have time smile
Posted By: dingle Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2008 8:46am
Bloody 'ell you guys are the best detectives I have ever seen. LOL
Posted By: phillhere Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2008 10:31am
Unsure whether this is the yard at Exmouth / Gladstone street as mentioned earlier, but underneath the main signage, you can make out the words motor cycles and spares...

can't figure what the building in the background is, relative to where this might be....

[Linked Image]

any ideas let me know....
Phill
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2008 11:32am
Can't place it, but I'm sure someone will recognise the white building in the background. We can at least date it as not earlier than August 1967 from the "F" registration mark on the Dormobile.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2008 11:41am
Could indeed be the corner of Exmouth & Gladstone. This map from 1955 shows that corner chopped. If so, that's a pub behind.

Attached picture Gladstone-Exmouth.jpg
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2008 12:58pm
Wonder if that could be the Raven public house? If so, the marriotts in the photo would stand near to where the irish pub (i forget what its called) is now.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Jun 2009 10:20pm
The white building in the background was the Royel Exmouth hotel
and the Marriots yard was a great place to root thru when coming home from hemmy school,I lived in Lowther st until it got pulled down,there was a passagway between the Eccy and the yard ran from back Exmouth st into Exmouth st.

so Razzi lived in Lowther st,old Lowther or new Lowther st
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2009 2:08pm
I used to live in the block of houses that was surrounded
by Atherton st,Claughton rd,and Exmouth st.Our back yard used
to face the back of Walter Marriots junk yard The front of the
house looked across the bombed site on to Bright st
I was six when we moved in there i 1945 i left to go to sea 1960
Does anybody remember the pub the Music Hall it was on the
corner of Glaughton rd & Exmouth st it was opposite the Bakers
Arms the landlord was called Harry (Swank) Rogers
George Hayes Ex Birkoneon
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2009 2:17pm
Phil the photo of Marriots yard is on the corner of Gladstone st
& Exmouth st.The building behind is The Lord Exmouth Pub
George Hayes
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2009 5:22pm

Does anybody remember the pub the Music Hall it was on the
corner of Glaughton rd & Exmouth st it was opposite the Bakers
Arms the landlord was called Harry (Swank) Rogers
George Hayes Ex Birkoneon
[/quote]
Music Hall pub here
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...666/119_Music_Hall_Hotel.html#Post279666
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Dec 2009 9:43pm
my partner used to play darts in the music hall. was also in the darts team in the bakers frank was the owner cant remember his surname but remember he had a big mussy he also had a posh wife.think her name was betty .
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Jan 2010 3:53pm
Does anybody remember Atherton hall mission opposite marriots and
next to door to Hardings coaches in exmouth street
There was also a mission hall in Fox street near the Bentinck st
end ,the family who lived opposite the hall were called the
Coopers i knew the son ,Kenny some of the other charecters who
knocked around Fox st were Ian Robinson ,Tommy &Billy Mearns
Martin Murphy ,Jimmy Moore ,Billy Morton &Arthur Garton just
to name a few not forgeting Frank on the door at the ASTOR
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Jan 2010 4:38pm
my partner remembers atherton hall a friend from school lived next door but he can't remember his name .my partner also went out with a girl called ann hayes who had a brother and think they may moved to conway street area
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Jan 2010 11:10am
Thanks for the Email my brother had a daughter called Ann Hayes
my niece she had 2 brothers ,Roy & David they lived on the corner
of Back Exmouth st and Lowther st they did move but i cant
remember where as i had left Birkenhead by then
Another place i used to frequent was the Craftsman club over
Burtons in Grange road it was great for Rock & Roll some times
Freddy Star was the compare
when i visit my sister in Patterson st i love to walk around
Charing Cross
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Jan 2010 1:49pm
Originally Posted by georgehayes

Another place i used to frequent was the Craftsman club over
Burtons in Grange road it was great for Rock & Roll some times
Freddy Star was the compare

& before it was the club, it was a snooker hall. I used to play there in my teens.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Jan 2010 2:53pm
not sure but I think the Craftsmans may have belonged to the Masonic hall behind it in Oliver St
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Jan 2010 6:10pm
I lived in old Lowther st until they knocked it down,the neighbours went to live everywhere,got some scanned pictures somewhere of the 1953 Coronation,street party in Lowther st not sure who owns the originals,but my big sister provided a picture of old Lowther street when Paul O'Grady was in the programme comedy travels or something.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Jan 2010 11:21am
The craftmans club in Grange rd was run by a big bloke called
Jackie Magee He had a brother called Billy who had a club in
Victoria st in New Brighton called the Empress club it was over
one of the slot machine arcades
There used to be a club in the ASTOR cinema the enterance was in Atherton st i went a few times as i only lived around the corner
i have loads of memories about Claughton rd Bright st Fox st
Exmouth st Oliver st & Charing Cross it was quite an area to be brought up in
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Jan 2010 11:36am
my partner was born at home in craven street and lived there till the early 70's said it was a great area to live in all neighbours where aunties and you never shut front door safe to leave out and great to be near town with all the pubs at hand.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Jan 2010 11:44am
anyone have any info on Bentinck St
As far as I can tell there were about 5/6 pubs there
Had my 1st pint in one of them when just left school
can't remember its name
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Jan 2010 9:36pm
pubs in bentinct st. can remember one it was called the scotch thistle this was on the corner of bentinct and fox street .also recall one which had the nickname the little house
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Jan 2010 10:00pm
there was also the beresford and the stag hotel. the little house was called the little red house
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Jan 2010 12:51pm
Another couple of places i re member were Thompsons mission &

Shaftsbery boys club in thomas st down town near the gas works
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Jan 2010 1:17pm
my best friends mum always helped out in thompsons mission . my mate went somewhere with the mission and met kevin keegan and got his autograph she was made up.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Jan 2010 1:59pm
Pubs in Bentinct st .My sister said there were 5 pubs in the
street. Thistle(fox st) Stag (gladstone st) Beresford (sun st)
Bentinct arms (moon st) Standard (conway st) i dont think i had
a pint in any of them i used to go the north end or down town
Tompsons mission was always good for a free cup of tea on a cold
winters night i would not know your mums friend as i went to
the mission early fifties as i am 70 so it was a bit before her
time i have lots of good memories of the area it was TOPS
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Jan 2010 4:17pm
friends mum is in her 80s but don't think she worked there in the 50s . i can remember her always there helping out gave up a lot of her free time .
Posted By: history Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Jan 2010 4:51pm
Atherton Hall, I can vaguely remember it, it had steps to go into it. The lady who run the Sunday School was a Mrs Burns. She always wore a hat.

I cant remember Marriots. That area was demolished apart from the block of houses on Claughton Road opposite the fire station on triangle. I grew up in one of them. I remember the 2 men who owned the corner shop. Jim and Ben? One of them was an insurance agent and moved up to Thingwall.

The block was knocked down about 1976/7.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Jan 2010 2:00pm
i to grew up in that block of houses on the triangle opposite the fire station .the fire station was not there when i lived there it was a shop called Hollands I lived in 263 claughton rd
some of the familys i remember were
Whites Hopkins Makays Whitleys Osullivans &Jones
i used to deliver papers for the corner shop in the 50s
Do you know any of theses people
Posted By: history Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Jan 2010 2:56pm
Hi George

Yes I do. It was my gran who lived at 261 Claughton Road. Mrs McKay.

I know some of the people from the block and still see some of your family then. I wont put the names on here.

Small world. ;-)

Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Jan 2010 5:08pm
my partner knows the whites one of the boys was his mate at school he's now a farmer think hollands shop was red and cream if i am right never seemed much in there .doyou remember the big sandstone house on claughton road think a family called roberts lived there. anyone remember the echo bar top of exmouth st it sold milkshakes
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Jan 2010 1:52pm
I do remember the big stone house the women was called Peggy
Roberts she was a case i think her husband was called cowboy
Its funny you mention the big stone houses, i was on
a cruise earlier this year in the Med i met a woman in Athens
who lived in the house next to the Roberts it was on the corner of Glaughton rd& Exmouth st her name used to be Bennet, she is married to my sisters husbands cousin my sisters are called
Lily &Beryl you may know them in my day the echo bar was called
the rondevous i remember your nan and Beryl well its great to
dig up good memories
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Jan 2010 8:05pm
Just wanted to add my pennies worth......I lived on Sun Street until we were forced to move due to the regeneration....I loved it there, we could see right down Hilton Street to Conway Street from our house.
The shops on either end were Portburys (Bentinck Street end) and Richmonds (Craven Street end).....both good sweet/grocery shops although Portbury's was alot more old fashioned than Richmonds.
Good old days !! smile
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st Jan 2010 1:18pm
Can anyone remember the shops in Exmouth st in the 50s,on the left going down stan the butchers ,bryants sweets roberts tool shop
o-kells clothes shop, candlish green growsers &an opticians
on the right was mrs franks comics &books rushworths junk shop
a growsers shop ,a milk bar & a bike shop , thats all i can remember even though i delivered papers to them from the corner shop
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Feb 2010 9:42pm
my partners mum got all her the meat from stan the butcher
the milk bar was called the echo bar a lady called jean heart worked there think that was her name
kents book shop was on the right hand side
rodgers was the bike shop
there was also a motor bike shop on the left hand side called beretons or something like
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Feb 2010 9:53pm
at the bottom of exmouth st was pawn brokers think it was called bains or some thing like
Posted By: kimpri Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Feb 2010 10:02pm
Bentley's pawn brokers.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Feb 2010 10:56am
You are correct the pawn shop on the corner of exmouth st & gladstone st was called Baines I have taken many a suit in there for women on the block ,in on monday out on friday so the old fella could out for a pint at the weekend
The women did not want to be seen going in the pawn shop they were
to proud i got a few pennies each time
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Feb 2010 1:16pm
Aah Richmonds ...

the only shop in the area were you could still buy things in singles 2 eggs five rashers of bacon and 4 sausages.
My friends the Grettons used to live halfway down Hilton street and we all went to cole st then on to hamilton street schools.
I seem to remember when they built the fire station, Atherton Hall moved to a small purpose built building down the siding between the ambulance wash part and the new estate (just behind were the irish pub is now on exmouth street) I only remember this as i was thrown out of sunday school for allegedly smashing a window on it with a football and not owning up... it wasnt me honest..
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Feb 2010 8:37pm
my partner went to school with one of the grettons but he lived with nan .
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 5th Feb 2010 10:55am
Does anybody remember Bryants sweet shop in Exmouth st
they used to make sweets on the premises They used to load the
vans in back Exmouth st if you knew soneone who worked there you were ok for a few frebees it was even better if they left the van unattened with the back doors open ?
Posted By: Audrey Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Jun 2010 5:44pm
My mum, Marie Wilson, was the licensee of 'The Scotch Thistle' in Bentinck Street until it was demolished.I can remember the butchers shop on the opposite side and of course the 'chippy' and 3 sweet shops.I think there was a barbers somewhere.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Jun 2010 9:07pm
Welcome to the machine Audrey.
Posted By: Audrey Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Jun 2010 2:32pm
Originally Posted by Audrey
My mum, Marie Wilson, was the licensee of 'The Scotch Thistle' in Bentinck Street until it was demolished.I can remember the butchers shop on the opposite side and of course the 'chippy' and 3 sweet shops.I think there was a barbers somewhere.

Does anyone know Margy Edge who lived in Craven Street,I think number 72. Margy went to Conway Street School and would be about 56 or 57 years old.
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Jun 2010 1:17pm
The butcher on Bentick st was named len and every morning us kids used to call in and he would give us all a big slice of brawn to go to school with (for free). lord help us cause i now know what brawn actually is.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Jun 2010 10:44pm
Razzi which part of Lowther street did you live in, old Lowther st or New Lowther st,I lived in old Lowther st until it was pulled down,anybody remember the Burnetts lived on the corner of Claughton rd and Exmouth st,I remember the Roberts who lived in Back Exmouth st opp Fox st and the Challoners who lived Back Exmouth st.

Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 20th Jun 2010 8:10am
my partner remembers margy edge he also lived in craven street john mclaren
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 20th Jun 2010 9:15am
one of the sweet shops was called ainsworths .i also think there was a co-op middle bentick street which was taken over by marriots motorbike shop.the barbers was called george and the chippy was called quilts .as a kid we used to go in and get free bags of batter. opposite quilts on gordon street there was a shop called parrys and top of bentick street there was a newsagents/sweet shop know to us as jones john was paperboy there
Posted By: tvchaos Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jun 2010 11:33am
Margie Edge, now Thomas, is alive and well, and still living in town. Margie does not (as yet) do modern technology!
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Jul 2010 12:14pm
We lived in what would be new lowther street i think, as we were still there when the firestation and the then ambulance station went up, we were only under compulsory order when they wanted the land for the new estate. As to the roberts family, my maiden name was roberts. we lived at 36 lowther st. nan and grandad and uncle ken roberts lived on the corner of fox st at 111 craven street. george the barber,lol wanted for the crime of turning me into illya kuriakin with my then fetching bowlhead hairdo. i never lived it down being a girl.jones' was taken over and became masons newsagents. i think that was in early 70s
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Jul 2010 12:43pm
used to go to school (st johns primary 1955/56 and Hemmy 57/58) with a Tony Roberts who I think lived in Back Exmouth st or by that area - any relation
Posted By: csk55 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Jul 2010 3:05pm
Hi, am new here but I wanted to say that i lived on bentinck st in the 50's. we lived at number 10 , maybe some one here remembers me? my name then was davenport but we lived with the suttons.george sutton worked for manweb.
Posted By: davey_hayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2010 11:02am
Anne had two brothers, David (that's me) and Roy.
We also have a younger sister named Kathie.
After leaving Lowther Street we moved to 205 Conway Street, above the dry cleaners shop opposite "Johnny's" chippy.
A few years later we moved to the North End of the town.
I am now living in Bidston Avenue and my local watering hole is Our Lady's Parish Centre.
I have many fond memories of Birkenhead, especially 60's and 70's, and love to share them with anyone who cares to listen.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2010 12:17pm
Davey did you live in number 2 Lowther st,next to the entry in back Exmouth st which led to Exmouth st,number 4 was the Allcrofts and no6 was the Browns and no8 was O'Dowds,10 was the Darroch's,Dougie snr who had Fort Perch Rock and whose son jr now owns.
Posted By: detsi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 12th Sep 2010 2:28pm
I used to live in 'little' Sun St. Does any one remember Miss Heggie's on the corner of Sun St and Bentinck St? It was a general store. What I remember most about it was the advert on the ceiling with massive bull on it. I think it advertised Bovril.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Sep 2010 11:16am
Re Davew 3
Dave saw your message on lowther st i have been trying to make
contact with mates from around Bright st but not much luck
any ideas
George Rochdale any help welcome
Posted By: davey_hayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Sep 2010 8:41pm
Yes, I used to live at number 2 Lowther Steet. Next door at number 4 lived David and Sandra Smalley.
Opposite in number 1 lived Mr & Mrs Pontin and their children Glenys and John. A few doors along lived Mr & Mrs Wilkie and their son Raymond.
I also remember the Humphreys, the Pugh's and the Sharkey's not forgetting Ned & Hilda Boyd and family. Up until a few year's ago I worked with Ronnie Sands he also used to live in Lowther Street, along with Elaine, June and Charles.
At the back of us in Gladstone Street lived Mrs Caldwell whose grandson, Peter, I went to school with.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Sep 2010 7:05pm
Sorry George,I haven't seen many people from our area for years,as I spent most of my time flitting about the country when Lowther st got knocked down,I watched Oak and Eldon gardens getting blown up on tv in Saudi Arabia thumbsdown the ones I've seen is Norman Humphries and his wife ,I met him I think in Al-Kobar or Dammam he was working on the oil jetties while I was over there ,I think they have a farm down south now,Ronnie Sands I seen a few times and his sister June,George and Maurice Jones I've seen a few times last time at a steam rally in July,Kenny Sharkie went to my big sisters party at the Arrowe Park hotel,Ron Wheeler who lived with his nan in Bentinck st opp the COOP emigrated to Australia.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 14th Oct 2010 11:27am
Is there no one out there that that used to knock around the area
of BRIGHT ST ,FOX ST ,LOWTHER ST & BACK ECCKY in the 1950 to 1960
Does anybody remember Frank the doorman at Astor
He would walk up and down the shouting
EIGHT PENCE A SHILLING & ONE AND NINE SEATS
He stopped me from going in once because i had drain pipe
trousers on he said i was a Teddy boy
he was a good guy really
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 14th Oct 2010 8:56pm
I remember the 5d rush at the Astor on a saturday afternoon

Can't remember if it ever had an upstairs balcony part like the other cinemas
the Ritz and the Savoy cost 6d for Saturday morning matinees
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 14th Oct 2010 11:42pm
Didnt'the Ritz charge 9d for the balcony and 6d for the stalls on a Saturday morning,the Roxy was 6d on a Saturday afternoon,remember the Ritz the Christmas party you had to get a piece of card stamped to show the you had been to Saturday morning matinees for 6 weeks to go to the party.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Oct 2010 10:23am
The Astor did have a balcony ,as you came into the foyer there
was a staircase on the left and right hand sides these led up to the balcony ,it was a big picture house
Does anyone remember the picture house at the bottom of Claughton rd be fore the Ritz I think it was called the LYREC
it was nicknamed the bug house & the flea pit
There was another one down near the bottom of Duke st called the RIO that was no better full of fleas
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Oct 2010 10:55am
it was the Queens picture house that I think eventually became the Transport Club
There's a post somewhere on here on what is was before becoming a picture house (not sure if it was to do with Quakers and a teetotal meeting place)
I never saw the car park behind it open(had iron railings round it) but I think Hardings at the top of Oliver Street once a year used set up a kiddies ride train and track there
Can anyone confirm this please

Attached picture queens.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Oct 2010 11:02am

Information on the Queen's Hall here.
Posted By: vivienne Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Feb 2011 7:05pm
hey so was my mum smile
Posted By: vivienne Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Feb 2011 7:08pm
i remember carol davenport, she had a sister called sandra smile
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Feb 2011 8:23pm
For Davey Heyes, my big sister has a picture , you may have seen it on Comedy Routes Paul O'grady it's the other way pointing to Bentinck st,this one was taken at the same time, Davey will recognise laugh .

Description: Lowther st
Attached picture lowther11.jpg
Posted By: cathcart Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Feb 2011 10:38am
great picture,i used to live on marion street the other side of conway street.been after pictures of our street for years not much success.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Mar 2011 12:01pm
Nice picture. I was born in the shop on the corner of Bentinck St/Lowther St in 1960.We moved when I was 3 , but I do have some memories One of our neighbours was Ann Williamson and my first best mate was Malcolm Dutton.I remember Len the butcher too- I think he moved up to Derby Road.We lived in Crown St for a few years and I remember the pub on the corner of Exmouth St was the Raven.
Posted By: jfoxy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th May 2011 8:15pm
hi davew3
do you have any more info on the o'dowds at number 10 doing my family tree turns out my granddads oldest brother lived there
many thanks
jen
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 5th Jun 2011 10:32pm
For Davey Heyes

Description: Lowther st looking toward Exmouth st
Attached picture lowther.jpg
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 5th Jun 2011 11:03pm
Sorry Jen, I will ask my sister to see if she knows anything.
the pictures do show number 8 above the van that's where the O'Dowds lived. number 10 was where the Darrochs lived, Dougie Darroch jr who owns Perch Rock fort Gran lived there.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jun 2011 8:27am
Strange my wife says I had a relative who lived at number 10 in the late 1890's.
Posted By: Nienna Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jun 2011 9:43am
Originally Posted by atw1960
Nice picture. I was born in the shop on the corner of Bentinck St/Lowther St in 1960.We moved when I was 3 , but I do have some memories One of our neighbours was Ann Williamson and my first best mate was Malcolm Dutton.I remember Len the butcher too- I think he moved up to Derby Road.We lived in Crown St for a few years and I remember the pub on the corner of Exmouth St was the Raven.

Mal Dutton is my cousin. I remember the area well as we used to visit the Duttons.. my aunt uncle and cousins Mal and Tim. We enjoyed playing out in the street with go carts in the sixties... it was a friendly community. I also remember all the neighbours gathering at the waste land at the top of Lowther street .I think where the fire station is now... to have a big bonfire and everyone letting off their fireworks together ...was like a big extended family party.
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 7th Jun 2011 6:50am

I used to like sitting on that wall when I was a kid... till a policeman came along and not only told us off but asked us for our names and where we lived...( did not sleep for days. after that worrying about my Dad finding out..never did thank God !! .... ) Annie laugh
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Jun 2011 1:22pm
I used to knock about with a lad called Ian Robinson He had an older brother named Gene they lived in Back Eccky
I also remember two brothers who lived in Lowther st,i think they were called SHERIDEN i think one was called Kenny
They always seemed to be a close family
anyone remember these guys
Posted By: Erainn Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Jun 2011 2:42pm
Do you have any recollection of the Electricity Board place that around your street somewhere, was a great place for getting big magnets from, if you could get over the walls that is wink
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Jun 2011 6:09pm
i think you mean the MANWEB building on gordon st off Bentink st
that was the electricty board site
Posted By: Erainn Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Jun 2011 10:11pm
That's the place smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Jun 2011 7:29am
My granddad worked there. The pic. is the old entrance on Bentinck St.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
Attached picture Bentinck_St..jpg
Posted By: lansyp Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Jun 2011 8:14am
i worked here when it was birkenhead glass this part was the glass shop .it has big cellers underneath and it was a bit creepy at times and full of rats
Posted By: Erainn Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Jun 2011 12:49pm
Chris, Thanks for sharing the photo, sure brings back memories smile
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jun 2011 6:36pm
I always remember my mum telling me that the cellars were used as air raid shelters during the war.One of her favourite stories concerned the rescue of a baby from a bombed house in Moon Street-the rescuer was her cousin Roy Kelly.He was only a boy himself at the time and deservedly became something of a local hero.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jun 2011 6:53pm
Businesses could apply for a grant for air raid shelters, these mostly consisted of extra brick walls being built in cellars to re-enforce them. I think all employees had a liability to protect their staff and so a large number of these were done. I may have some statistics that I will try and dig out.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jul 2011 9:36am
I am still trying to get in contact with the lads who knocked
around Bright st, Fox st & Back Ecky in the 50 s
We spent hours playing football on the bombed site opposite
the Astor ,we always had one of the biggest and best bonfires
on guy fawkes night, were are you all,surely i cant be
the last man standing
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Jul 2011 7:33am
Georgy, I volunteer for the marine radio museum at Perch Rock fort, we get visitors from all over the world, visiting the little museums in the fort and the fort, but we get very few locals, when we do they are suprised to see what's going on ,we have had a few people come reminicing about wartime Ecky st and Sun st and Moreton etc, but yet see anyone from Lowther/Fox/Craven st, apart from the 1953 Coronation street party in Lowther st pictures that Dougy has, nowt nothing, but will keep an eye out and let you know.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Jul 2011 2:44pm
Still trying to make contact with my old mates Davey but not much luck . I am also trying to contact my school mates as well
Same response, i am afraid ,do you think i am the only one left
out of all those scallies ?
I will keep on trying Come on lads
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Jul 2011 10:19pm
Nah, you just have to keep trying George,some people don't realise that WikiWirral exists or are just not computer literate or just can't be bothered, keep trying.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jul 2011 4:56am
i know how you feel george but as daveu says keep trying. ive had some success trying for pictures of my street marion street but cant find a picture of my school,cathcart street.but one day............
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jul 2011 5:19am
Don't forget this one Cathcart.

Attached picture CathcartStSchool.jpg
Posted By: cathcart Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jul 2011 2:55pm
thanks bertie,me and my other half are both on that picture.weve had it for years ,just like a picture of the school,playgrounds etc,as i have said one day.........
Posted By: maldutton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Aug 2011 11:45am
I am Mal Dutton & we lived at 55 lowther street, whose my cousin
Posted By: maldutton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Aug 2011 11:51am
Love the pic, especially the kids looking into the sports car, that was a rare thing then. I used to live in the other half of Lowther Street between 1959 & when we all compulsory purchased out in the early 70's. I remember some of the shops in Bentinck Street, CooP, became Marriots selling AMF Harley Davidsons, Lens the butchers, Dot the groucer, Ainsworths the sweet shop, Richmonds on the corner of Sun St & Craven Street.
Posted By: frank_shelley Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Aug 2011 4:14am
Hi Everyone I have just got caught up in this post. I used to live at 63 Craven Street about 5 doors down from Richmonds and over the road from the other shop Rita's. My mum was in there one day when the Oxydol Father Christmas came in (does anybody remember him) and we got a Turkey for Xmas. I knew Margie Edge very well we dated for a while, my name is Frank (Franie) Shelley. To Karenjon I think I know your partner did he live at the top of Craven Street.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Aug 2011 7:03pm
yes he did live at top if craven street .john remembers you. do you have a sister? john thinks he remembers your sister.
Posted By: frank_shelley Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Aug 2011 7:20pm
Yes I had 2 sisters a younger one called Liz and an elder one called Agnes. Think Agnes used to work with Johns sister.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Aug 2011 11:17am
yes she worked with ohns sister ann
Posted By: frank_shelley Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Aug 2011 9:44pm
They used to work in the old Co-op in Hoylake Road, right opposite Holy Cross Church. I think that was their first jobs.
Posted By: robbiej Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2011 3:58pm
hey i lived next door to u at 65 craven st my name is robbie johnson
Posted By: robbiej Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Oct 2011 3:16pm
doe's anybody remember the house at the top of craven st where u could look though the window and see dolls houses which the man had made to sell
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 4th Oct 2011 3:27pm
yes my partner remembers them he said he also made forts .
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 5th Oct 2011 1:12pm
I remember being given a fort for Xmas '66 or '67-had it for years.
Posted By: patsylodo Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Oct 2011 11:11pm
no it was bentinck st looking up from conway st on the right hand side midway i lived at the bottom
Posted By: patsylodo Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Oct 2011 11:35pm
your right i lived in bentinck st
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Oct 2011 7:49pm
Reading these pages brought back a lot of happy memories of the streets around and off Exmouth Street. I lived in Gladstone Street from the early 50's until the houses were compulsory purchased. We lived at the back of No. 4 Lowther St where the Smalleys lived. I remember some of the families mentioned i.e. Hayes's, Pontin's, Humphrey's etc. I also remember playing at in back eccy at the back of the Lord Exmouth Pub. There was a bombsite at the end of our street opposite the Stag pub where we had fantastic bonnies. Marriots yard was at the end of our street and I remember the handcarts which were parked there. Baines pawn shop was on the opposite corner and I remember in the first house lived the Cartwright family. Does anyone remember me? Still Wirral based look forward to seeing further posts. Does anyone remember Bob Martins shop in Conway street, where we would gather in the evenings and drink Sasperalla and Cream Soda. Does anyone have any pictures of Gladstone street?
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Oct 2011 9:51pm
Hi Just seen your post ...... I am Ann Hayes ...
I love reading about our neighbourhood....
I remember being in your house one day watching Bonanza
and your brother was on the couch with a bad cold !!
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Oct 2011 6:15pm
Hello Ann I remember you and your brother David. I too love to read things about our old neighbourhood. Lol about Bonanza. I read in an earlier post you moved to live on top of Jonnies Chip shop in Conway St. I have memories of on Thursday nights going to Livingstone St baths with all the kids from Lowther and buying chips and a tin of coke from Jonnies on the way home. Do you remember what we used to call the big hill at the end of Lowther that ran through from Fox Street.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Oct 2011 7:14pm
Hi I'm a new member and have just noticed photo of Lowther St on pg 7 sent by Davew to Dave Hayes, what memories this brings back. Wondered what year it was as looking at the lads sitting on the wall, it could have been my brothers sitting there. Did Daveyw live next door to the Pugh's. I remember Robbie Pugh. Also did you have a niece and nephew called Sharon and Christopher? They used to come down to the street to visit their nan.
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Oct 2011 12:31pm
Hi Margie.... When we left Lowther Street we went to live with my Nan in Watson Street, then we moved to Conway Street, above the Dry Cleaners.. ( I now live in Wallasey )..
my brother was barred from Johnny's chippy when he was about fourteen.. only because he ran into the shop shouting Everton !...
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Oct 2011 12:45pm
Margie i am Anns uncle we lived in Glaughton rd, this is a bit
before your era but my best mate was Maurice Cartwright he lived in the first house in Gladstone st,we went to school together at HEMMMY we were mates all through our teens Because conscription was on we both went to sea with different shipping companys in
1960, we saw each other a few times but we lost touch when i moved
Yesterday i spoke to Maurice for the first time in about 45 years
we are meeting up in next couple of weeks for a pint
Do you remember the Cavanaughs that lived opposite the Cartwrights there son Tony jumped ship in Australia
i could go on forever about those days Happy Days
Posted By: patsylodo Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Oct 2011 3:27pm
jumped over that wall many a time when i was young i lived in bentinck st
Posted By: patsylodo Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Oct 2011 3:37pm
we lived at 28 bentinck st the williams me dad was name was paddy me mum was anne williams
Posted By: patsylodo Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Oct 2011 3:41pm
am sure thats me on the wall
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Oct 2011 4:37pm
Hi George I remember the Cartwirght's very well. If I remember correctly there was Maurice, Alan, Margaret, Ann, David, Carol and Elizabeth, Lizzie and I used to play together we'd sit on the front door step and swop beads!! I remember Maurice going to sea and I'm not sure if Alan did they used to bring their mam nice presents from their travels. I remember looking at some butterflies in a glass ornament which they kept in their parlour. I remember the Cavanagh's who lived next to the Hale's and on the other side Mrs Caldwell. I remember Tony bringing his mum a parrot called 'Rosie' home from one of his sea trips. As he was older than me don't really remember seeing him much. I used to play with his nieces Carol and Patty McCaffrey,(mum Margaret) they used to come down from Maple street off Whetstone Lane every sunday to visit their nan Mrs Cavanagh. Didn't really know many people from Claughton Road a Mrs Wilson who had a son Stephen? Happy days indeed.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Oct 2011 4:44pm
Hi patsylodo thinking about Bentinck street, do you remember Ainsworth's and Jardine's sweet shop. Also I remember helping the 'Crisp Man' unload boxes of crisps. There was a shop/storage where boxes of crips were stored this was on the corner of new Gladstone St. I remember a lad named Peter Goodwin who lived down the road from Ainsworths? I remember the Thistle pub? on the corner of Fox street and a chippy at the top of Bentinck St somewhere up by MANWEB on the opposite side.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Oct 2011 4:50pm
I'm sure you and Maurice will have lots to talk about when you meet. Perhaps he might have some photos of Gladstone Street he'd like to share?
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Oct 2011 4:50pm
Hi Margie.....

All the families that you mentioned I remember well... the Smalley's lived next door to us... I was quite shocked to hear that David Smalley passed away couple of years ago...

Ann
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Oct 2011 9:01pm
Hi Ann Sad to hear about David, he and Sandra were very close as kids, I think they were related to the Sands family further down their street. Did Glenys Pontin live opposite you? Going down Lowther on the opposite side to yours I remember a lady called Vera (Lally)? she had one son Raymond. I had a Sat. job and worked with Vera in Johnny's fruit & veg shop in Exmouth St. every Sat. morning my mum would do a cooked breakfast for the two of us and I'd run round home when it was ready and take it back to the shop. Next to the fruit shop was Stan the butchers, his wife used to bring us in a cup of tea and homemade cake in the afternoon (spoilt rotten we were hey)! Next to them was the Humphrey's I only remember Colin. Then Mrs Wiggins, the Pugh's, Bernard Sharkey. Don't know where they went after leaving Lowther?

Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Oct 2011 9:39pm
Hi... Margie
yes we lived opposite the Pontins.. they were related to the Boyd's who live at the other end of the street right by the Big Entry...
My brother used to drink in most of the pubs around Birkenhead so he often met up with former friends from Lowther street ...
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st Oct 2011 11:27am
Margie, Alan did go to sea,i think he was an electrician
i remember Tony Cavanaugh bringing home the record Rock
around the clock long before it was out over here i think he got me my first pair of Wrangler jeans you could not get them here
at that time. I met up with Tony in Aussie after he jumped ship there Do you remember a lad called Brian Lovic i think he lived in Gladstone st,he was a boxer i think, my memories are all
flooding back Do you remember a family called the Deers my sister Beryl married Ray
I wish i could have a pound for all the visits i made to Baines
the pawn shop for the women on our road,they were to proud to be
seen going in there they used to give me pennies for going
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st Oct 2011 11:31pm
Hi MargieMck, the answer is yes and yes , the picture was taken I think around 1966 before they heaved us out, we went to the Ford and I believe the Pugh's went to the Woodchurch, the Sharky's went to the Ford and lived next door to Sharon and Chris, and Maurice and Georgy Jones are on the Woodchurch, Kenny Sharkie lives in Liverpool and Maurice and George Jones are fit and well as to a year ago.
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Nov 2011 11:22am
Hi Margie... Sure I was in same class as Peter Goodwin.. did he live with his Dad ? .... I also went to school with a girl called Julie Amos ..think she Lived in Gladstone Street also..
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Nov 2011 7:05pm
George I remember a Brian Lovatt he lived opposite us don't know if he was a boxer though. If it's the same person he had a brother Arthur and a sister Christine. They were related to the Challanors. Anyone remember Norman and Sandra Challanor? Don't know the Deers.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Nov 2011 7:09pm
Ann Peter did live with his dad. Julie Amos lived in Sun St.
Some other people I remember in Sun St are the Cavanagh's Danny and he had a sister Maeve. Also Margaret and Edward McKinnon.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Nov 2011 7:18pm
Hi Dave thanks for the info. nice to chat about old times it's funny I can't remember recent events! but have great childhood memories. Playing kick the can and climbing the lampost at the top of lowther also skating down the wide entry or as we called it the Big Hill. Do you remember the mission at the end of Fox St near to the Thistle pub?
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 1st Nov 2011 7:35pm
Hi Margie...
Me and my brother had to go to that mission every Sunday !!
from what I can remember it was run by three Old women...
One vivid memory I have is of a group of us kids standing in a small room, it was xmas week and we were about to go Carol singing, Mrs. Simpson gave us all a long stick with one of them Chinese Type Lanterns Attached they must have had a small candle
inside because she proceeded to light the lanterns, next thing I remember is there being a mad panic because the Lanterns had caught fire ! .....
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Nov 2011 8:48pm
Were they like Ena,Martha and Minnie!! I can just imagine the panic, can you imagine giving kids today lit candles with all the H&S regs to be followed. Do you remember how busy Exmouth Street used to be. Does anyone remember Mrs Pringle's fish shop and the Off Licence which was run by Mr & Mrs Brandon?
Posted By: barney60 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Nov 2011 10:03pm
From what I can remember.. one of them always wore a Ginger fur coat thast had a strange musty smell... The shops I remember in Exmouth street .. Cafe, Okells, stan the Butcher (Adult) Book Shop !.. Wool Shop.. Lord Exmouth Pub .. the scrap yard.. Bains' pawn shop.. on other side of Exmouth Street a Cake shop near the top.. a Fish shop run by two sisters ( think they were twins ).. little grocery shop and a sweet shop (opposite the scrap yard)
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Nov 2011 4:30pm
Davey i have just about given up on trying to contact my mates
from Bright St in the 50s i have tried all sorts with no success
Surley there not all pushing daiseys up there must be someone
out there that knows me, i will keep trying
Posted By: kaggylou Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Nov 2011 2:57pm
hello all i'm a newbe to this site- and low and behold a family link- the Cartwright's- my maiden name is Cartwright and i have linked my ansestors to the streets you mention- my great great grandfather was Daniel Cartwright and grandfather was fredric Cartwright- does anybody remember who David Cartwrights father was? its a long shot i know- but worth a try??
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Nov 2011 8:30pm
Hi I'm a newbee too. It may be helpful to you to read George Hayes's comments 29 Oct. He's meeting with Maurice Cartwright or may have aready met with him. Also see my posting 30th Oct.
David is still living in Wirral as far as I know. From what I can remember his dad was Charles (Chuck) and I have some vague recollection that he may have worked at the brickworks in Moreton. Mum was Margaret. They moved to the Ford Estate when we all left Gladstone Street. Hope this helps and good luck.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Nov 2011 9:33pm
Anyone remember swinging on the old gas lamposts and climbing on the window ledges of the manweb building
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Nov 2011 9:00pm
Margie Maurice Cartwright was my best mate in the 50s we grew up
together my sister still sees David now and then thats how i got
in touch with Maurice ,we have not met up yet
Iam sure ANN could help you as she still keeps in touch with my
sister, its worth a try as i do not live in Birkenhead i never
see any of my old mates to ask htem were they live now
Best of luck i am sure you will find them
Posted By: NJC1971 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Jan 2012 6:47pm
George, going way back to page 4, I can tell you Tommy&BillyMearns are alive and well. Tommy is in Upton, you could find him on facebook.
Posted By: alanandlinda Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Jan 2012 11:23pm
great to read, remember few streets most had gone by 1970s thanks memory, nothing on park street, kimnel street or rhyl street behind school any photographs please
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Jan 2012 5:22pm
NJC 1971 could not find Tommy or Billy Mearns on face book
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Jan 2012 5:31pm
I met up with Maurice Cartwright yesterday for the first time
in about48 years it was great to see my old mate again, a lot of
water has gone under the bridge since we last met
I told Maurice people were asking about his family on this page so you may hear from him
Posted By: allio Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jan 2012 11:23pm
Hi
I have just been reading all the messages about Lowther/Exmouth Street and found it very interesting.
I lived in 29 Gladstone Street( Dave Ellis )and i have fond memories of some of the people and places mentioned in this forum . I went to Cole Street school and then Hemingford Street I would like to hear from any one who remembers me .
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jan 2012 12:42pm
Dave i used to live on Glaughton rd and i had mates in
Gladstone st ,i do not remember you by name What years did you
live there , i to went to Hemmy from 1951 to 1955
Posted By: allio Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jan 2012 9:11pm
Hi George
I was born in Gladstone st in 1954 lived there till about 1968 when we moved to the Woodchurch. I went to Hemmy about 1965.
But my brother was there about 1955 his name was Arthur i think the people you knew where a bit older than me you would have to give me a few names i may know them. I remember the Cartwrights who lived in the first house by Baines pawn shop one of girls was my age i think her name was Elizabeth ive just seen the two pictures of lowther st/back exmouth st on previous pages i may have been one of the lads on the wall never thought id see that veiw again GREAT TIMES
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Jan 2012 12:55pm
Hi Dave most of my pals lived in bright st & back eccky and were older than you
you had me worried a bit Dave in your post when you say Baines
was a (porn shop) i must have been missing out on something
when i lived there, i know what you mean i used to take things there for the some women on our street as they did not want to be seen going to the pawn shop they thought it was degraiding
they were to proud

Posted By: allio Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Jan 2012 8:38pm
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Jan 2012 4:38pm
Dave i used to like HEMMY it was a good school to go to
When i talk to people around my age here i am amazed on how
little they know on history and geography,they must have brain washed me there Your brother must have been there when i was there I remember a bloke who lived in Gladstone st, he used to sail on the banana boats and he used to walk with a bit of a list
I seem to remember that he was either killed in a fight or he was in a fight were someone was killed i think they hit there head on the gutter
Posted By: davey_hayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Feb 2012 11:44pm
Hello Barney,

I have just read your tale about the lanterns catching fire, I was there and remember it well.

David Hayes
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Feb 2012 9:25am
Just as a point to Maurice and Georgy Jones from old Lowther St and health , I met both at Ellesmere Port tat market and both are not well, they tell me Raymond Wilkie lives not to far away from them, Vera Wilkie aka Lalley her son.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Feb 2012 4:16pm
Going back to Sun Street, I too went to Cole Street 'till about 1968 then went to Hemmy 'till about 1971
I think !!
I remember the Deers living not far from me on Sun Street.
Our neighbours both sides were called Owens even though they were not related, the Wilson's lived further along and the Bailey's (Ann & John) lived the other end by Richmond's shop.
Does anyone remember the horrible fire in the house at the top of Hilton Street (Sun St end) where the three poor little kids died ??, I think their Mum's name was Sandra.... it was absolutely heartbreaking frown frown
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Mar 2012 1:49pm
Thats the Lord exmouth, jack talbot was the manager. i lived in 15 Lowther Street with my Nan & Grandad Molly & Jack Pew.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Mar 2012 1:59pm
Great reading all these names i remember as a kid in Lowther Street, although my nan and gag would turn in their graves with everyone spelling their name wrong..lol ITS PEW .. Jack & Molly Pew LoL..
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Mar 2012 2:33pm
I Have really enjoyed reading and seeing the photos from yesteryear, i remember playing in the bombdys as a six or seven year old next door to the lord ecky pub, where we stashed our bommy wood, and had pitched battles with other streets to protect our stash. i would love to know when the picture of lowther st was taken, i could well be one of those urchins.
Posted By: Norton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Mar 2012 5:29pm
Hi, I hope this photo might bring back some memories. It was taken in the summer of either 67 or 68, for the sunset behind the houses, which were just a shiloete. I've recently re-scanned the image to give detail of the houses. It's not marvelous - after all, they wern't the subject of the picture.

The photo is taken from near the bottom Exmouth St, where it flattens out, looking west to the houses on one side of Bentnick St. It could be Sun St that we see the end of terrace on the left side, but it could be the backs of the shops in Conway St on the right. Another clue is the shadow of a raised roofline behinf the terraces. Sorry to sound vague, but it was a while ago. Modern houses were built there, possibly firemans houses, which were demolished while still quite new, and the ones that are there now were built in their place.

Description: Bentnick St, 1968 (approx)
Attached picture s690065rw.jpg
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Mar 2012 7:49pm
I've written on this before , so please forgive me if I'm repeating myself - but a few more things have come back to me . My mum & dad had the shop at 90 Bentinck St and I was born there in 1960 . Although I was only very young when we moved I do remember some things . There was Len the butcher who moved up to Derby Rd-in Bentinck St itself there was a sweet shop called either Jardine's or Ainsworth's .One of our neighbours was Ann Williams (or Williamson?) and my first best mate was Malcolm Dutton who lived in Lowther St.My sister , Pauline Wilson, was older than me-she was born in 1952 and my mum and dad were Tommy and Edie Wilson .
Does anyone remember them ? My dad was a boilermaker and at the time I think he worked at Rutherford's (Neptune Street ?).We moved to Sale in about 1964 , coming back to Birkenhead a year later-my old lady wouldn't settle! We then lived in Crown St until '68 when we moved to the Noctorum .
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Mar 2012 8:05pm
That picture looks as if it's taken from Hilton st and looking towards the houses in new Sun st, the Deers lived in one of them, and yes I remember the Pews and I remember Cavan Hi Cav , I lived at 13 Lowther and we moved to the Ford and as my mum didn't like it, we moved to Hilton st.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 14th Mar 2012 11:14am
does anyone from Lowther St remember winnie the witch. she lived in the big house on the corner, i think her name was Violet something, she frightened the life out of us....
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Mar 2012 5:31pm
Hi
Does anyone remember Longshaw's the Drapers and Percy Longshaw's Barbers shop next door, on Exmouth St?
Posted By: bizzybee Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Mar 2012 6:33pm
I don't think that it is (little) Sun St. There doesn't appear to be any shops and on opposite corners of Sun St were a butcher and Miss Heggies. The Deers lived on the odd number side as did the Griffiths. I remember the Duffs and old Mrs Griffiths on the even number side. The style of houses look like Bentink St where the Ashmans (bookies)lived but I cannot see the little hall where my dad used to pay his boilermakers' subs. But I was only a little kid in those days and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. oldman
Posted By: Norton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Mar 2012 12:30am
I've taken a better look at the map now. I'm still sure that it was taken from the pavement of Exmouth St, and there is just a little bit showing at the botttom. I think the houses are in the block numbering 42 to 62 Bentnick St, with demolition already taken place between Moon St (coming in from the left) and Rose St.
It was the mention of a hall that helped me with this. On the extreme right of the row is the hall, I think. It's got a lampost in front of it, which is lit. At first I thought that it might have been the backs of the shops in Conway St, but it's too far up.
This means that we are looking at the end of the entry and the back of the terrace of houses in Sun St, over towards the left of picture, about a quater of the way across. Because it's the back, we can't tell if its shops or houses. But I still can't figure out what the shiloete is just above the roof line of the middle houses in that block.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: bizzybee Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Mar 2012 8:55am
Yep, I agree. I forgot about the Sun St entry.and that is the hall behind the lamp post. Bert Ashman lived a little bit further down Benny. You would nip down the entry by the hall and put the bets on at his back door. Dear God! I'm old.
Posted By: anniebluenose Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Mar 2012 2:36pm
Re davey Hayes ( sunday school )
I remember most Sunday's Miss Simpson throwing you out for being naughty !...... then you would disrupt her Bible lessons by throwing stones on the roof ...

( Annie ) laffin
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Mar 2012 1:38pm
I remember raymond deer. My sister gillian and i, we lived at 36 Lowther st,went on either a school trip or sunday school trip i forget which with him to colwyn bay mountain zoo and while he was trying to collect peacock feathers for his mum from the bottom of an enclosure (through the bars) a meercat ran up and bit him on the finger. I remember falling about laughing when a woman standing next to him asked if it hurt and when he said yes, she smacked him over the back of his head and said it was serves him right. Raymond lived next door to the old dear who had a cat named wilberforce she was forever knocking on doors and asking if anyone had seen her pussy, which caused an awful lot of tittering i can tell you.
Posted By: robbiej Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Mar 2012 8:16pm
idoi lived at 65 craven st my name is robbie johnson she would shout at u if u looked at her i think the police had to get her out of her house so it could b knocked down i was about 9 i went to cole street school and played on the corne of craven st and sun st
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Mar 2012 1:26pm
I lived in 34 Lowther Street with my parents Sandy and Ann Williamson and my sisters Linda and Jean until I left to join the Army in 1964. The family moved to the Noctorum in 1970. Some of my mates were Kenny Sharkey, Peter Chisholm and John Williams from Fox Street. I remember Winnie the Witch (AKA) Violet, who lived on the corner of Old Lowther Street. Paul O’Grady lives close to me in Kent, I sometimes see him in the local supermarket, but I can’t bring myself to approach him and say “I know your Vera”. Hard times, but good times – taught me how to deal with life
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Mar 2012 8:59am
Hi Margie i have been enjoying reading everyone's memories from lowther st. and putting faces to the names. the only kid i remember being my best mate was John McKenna. he and Tommy must have been your brothers . i think Tommy was our Roberts mate, what a small world, i hope all are doing well, remember me to john. i was brought up by Jack & Molly Pew at 15 Lowther,
Posted By: beryla Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Mar 2012 2:57pm
Hi,I am new to this, I lived in 188 Claughton Road,My name was Beryl Burnett,my brother's name is David.Our house was on the corner of Claughton Road & Exmouth Street opposite was a sweet shop across the road was The Bakers & The Music Hall.I went to Cole Street school,then Conway Street School with Carole Williams & Jean Hughes from new Fox Street,Barbara Kerr from old Fox Street, Brenda Lee from Bright Street,also Dorothy Griffiths from Gladstone Street. Lesley Wiggins from Craven Street, Norah Dolan from Bentinck Street. A couple of years before the houses were pulled down Peggy Roberts moved in next door from Back Exmouth Street. Does any one remember me?
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Apr 2012 2:48pm
I used to live at 263 glaughton rd i met one of your family
on a cruise about 2 years ago in the Mediteranean
She was married to a relation of the Deers

ers my sister Beryl
Hayes was married to Ray Deer
i remember your big house well we lived right opposite i left in
1961 to go to sea, i left Birkenhead for good in 1962
All my pals all lived around there
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Apr 2012 3:01pm
Sorry about the layout of the message got a problem with my
computer its got a mind of its own
Posted By: beryla Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Apr 2012 6:25pm
Hi George,We remember you from the cruise, its my husband David who lived in Sun Street then Craven Street who was a cousin of Ray Deer. Davids brother Ian Rhodes married Barbara Roberts,Peggy Roberts daughter who lived next door to us,its a small world.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Apr 2012 9:04pm
My partner remembers the Roberts that lived in your house think it was Jenny and Philip Roberts
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 3rd Apr 2012 9:54pm
Hi Beryl, lovely to hear from you, I lived in Lowther st next to the Pews and Gavin, apart from seeing Maurice and Georgy Jones , I've not seen anybody , but I do admit I never go near Birkenhead for anything so maybe that doesn't help.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 5th Apr 2012 6:32am
Davew3 i was struggling to work out who you are, in my very small and getting smaller brain, then suddenly a light came on and i had lovely recollections of Ginny Wiggins, who was always around, a great friend of my nan Molly. all the different names mentioned bring back little memories, Giving a warm feeling, like a cup of soup on a wet winter morning looking out the window onto the white washed walls of our back yard in Lowther Street, knowing my Nan won´t let me out cos i sneezed twice in the same day. lol
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Apr 2012 10:11am
When i come to Birkenhead and look around and try to picture
how it used to be, its sad
We had a great comunity sprit in those days people were more friendley ,i used to walk around late at night with no fear
of anybody ,now i would have to think twice walking around late at night
Whats happened to the place what ever it is its not for the
better and it shows
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Apr 2012 1:40pm
Hi Cavan I remember you as a toddler. Tommy and John are my brothers and are both well I will tell them about our conversation. I remember your nan & grandad. I also used to babysit for your Margie (married Derek Dobbs) if I remember? My friend and I used to go and visit Brenda (married to Paddy?) they had a little boy David? and lived off Oxton Road.
I also remember Peter, he was older than me and Robbie and I started school together. We sat together on our first day and I tried to run out to go home but got dragged back and told off. Happy days collecting the bonnie wood, the fire would be lit on the bomb site at the end of Gladdy and end of Lowther. Hope you're ok nice to hear from you.
Posted By: Mogzie Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Apr 2012 2:21pm
I used to live at 19 & 25 Exmouth Street in the 50's. The pawn shop on Exmouth Street near to Conway Street was called Bentley's. The chap who took your items and gave you the money was called Mr Francis. He had wire frames glasses and a well receded hair line practically bald! He used to bang the coins [large old pennies then] hard on the wooden counter to make you jump. The counter was bare unpolished wood and about 4 feet high. Further up Exmouth Street was another pawn shop called Bains. Opposite no 25 was the Raven public house which at that time was run by the Palmer family. My grandmother had the second-hand shops in both 19 & 25. We used to live in the house part behind the shop. When we first moved into 25 Exmouth it still smelt of the fishmongers that was from the previous owners. It still had the old marble slabs in the shop window, which could be open for passers by to see the fish. One sink with only a cold tap, no bathroom, just an outside toilet down the bottom of the yard. A brick air-raid shelter with a concrete slab roof occupied the space between the kitchen and the outside toilet. We used to be on 'first-name-terms' with the spiders that used to live in that toilet! The door that went out to the rear 'living' room behind the shop opened into the room from the shop, the only problem was that directly behind there was a door from the upstairs which opened towards the shop! If some came in from the shop as someone came down the stairs it was a 'push-of- war' to get past!!
Posted By: robbiej Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 13th Apr 2012 6:46pm
i when to hemmy as a lad has anybody got a photo of the school badge thanks rob j
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Apr 2012 12:53pm
hi the photo is taken from exmouth st with moon st on the left. the car is outside no56 where me and my family lived. the outline on the roof is of attic windows only no56, no54,and no52 had attics .the first house on the left was my grandparents no62 the houses number from 62 to 40 then an entry next to st mattews mission hall the names of residents were 62 the glover,s, 60 the porter's, 58 thelambert's, 56 us robinson's, 54 the nicholls, 52 the smith's, 50 the james's 48 the bishop's, 46 the musker's, 44 the dolan's, 42the stuart's and 40 the griffihs. the backs of houses in the left corner are sun st nellie heggies grocers was on the corner. is there any chance i could have a copy of the photo. i'd very willing to pay thanks
Posted By: Norton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Apr 2012 1:16pm
I'm glad that the picture has brought back some vivid memories for you and the others who recognise the location.

You should be able to do a righ-click and 'save as' to download it, otherwise pm me if you wish.
Posted By: bizzybee Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Apr 2012 4:39pm
Originally Posted by arsenal
hi the photo is taken from exmouth st with moon st on the left. the car is outside no56 where me and my family lived. the outline on the roof is of attic windows only no56, no54,and no52 had attics .the first house on the left was my grandparents no62 the houses number from 62 to 40 then an entry next to st mattews mission hall the names of residents were 62 the glover,s, 60 the porter's, 58 thelambert's, 56 us robinson's, 54 the nicholls, 52 the smith's, 50 the james's 48 the bishop's, 46 the musker's, 44 the dolan's, 42the stuart's and 40 the griffihs. the backs of houses in the left corner are sun st nellie heggies grocers was on the corner. is there any chance i could have a copy of the photo. i'd very willing to pay thanks

Remember the advert on Miss Heggies' shop's ceiling? It was a big bull (Oxo or Bovril) and it covered the whole ceiling.. I used to be so scared if it when I was a little girl.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Apr 2012 5:46pm
i've managed to download it and print it off. thanks very much for your help
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Apr 2012 9:25pm
FOX STREET EARLY 1970's looking towards the Fire station
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Apr 2012 9:30pm

FOX STREET EARLY 1970's looking towards the Fire station

Attached picture fox_street_early_70,s_001.jpg
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Apr 2012 9:32pm
this photo above is fox street in the early 70,s looking towards the fire station
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd Apr 2012 11:18pm
My reply seems to have hit the bit bucket, so which Robbo are you?, I think the Vulcan st one. :-)
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Apr 2012 11:29am
is that you dava from lowther st your right i am from vulcan st and bentinck st. john robbo the car is my old mg magnette outside 50 fox st .hope you and family are well
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Apr 2012 10:16pm
Tis me, kids have flown the nest otherwise we are fine, hadn't realised you were still in Fox st after we had moved from Lowther st up to the Ford.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Apr 2012 9:20pm
THIS PHOTO IS OF THE FEMALE RESIDENTS OF NEIGHBOURS OF BENTINCK ST SUN ST GLADSTONE ST LOWTHER ST AND OTHER STREETS OFF BENTINCK ST MIDDLE 1960 THERE ARE SISTERS MOTHERS AUNTS COUSINS ECCTRa even great grand mothers some names i remember are rubinson glover whiteley stuart rhodes and deer in the mid sixties ]

Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Apr 2012 9:22pm
Pictures
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Apr 2012 9:32pm
any advice on uploading photographs...step by step guide? as having continuous problems uploading photos, managed to do it a few times but other times it simply will not work.

would be very grateful
Posted By: Norton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 25th Apr 2012 9:42pm
You might be best to try a single picture first. There are instructions on site, and other software is avaliable. Try this..

If you want to Upload a picture, you need to know where it is on your pc first. I use a seperate folder that holds the copies that I want to Upload. Check the file size, as there is a limit of 2 Mb per Upload. Somewhere between 100kb and 400kb usually produces a decent image. Even though it may not seem to appear full sized at first, using control and + will enlarge it for the reader.

Now, go to the 'reply' button on the topic you are replying to. (Note, you can't post a picture with the 'quick reply' box.) When you hit 'reply', a pop-up screen appears for you to enter your text. When you have done that, look a little below the text box and it says 'Upload Manager'. Clicking this will bring up another box, with instructions on how to use it. From here, using the 'Browse' button in it, go to the folder and file that you selected to Upload, just like in Explorer, and click the file. It will be added, and you can add a caption, choose to add another etc. When done, click done. Preview your message if required (note - pictures not shown in preview), then post it using the 'Submit' button as normal.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Apr 2012 7:51pm
try again smile

Attached picture residents_of_streets_around_bentinck_street_001.jpg
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Apr 2012 9:45pm
thanks very much to norton and kimpri1 for their help in showing me how to upload photos i couldnt have done it without you camera
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd May 2012 12:30pm
HI davey. this is john who lived at number 1 lowther street, yeah i remember you, and Ann and Kathy, and Roy was my friend, we sometimes used to walk home from Cole street school together,It was great to think that you remembered us, as we did you,(we had a little brother called Graham that was about the same age as your Kathy) i also remember your mum Stella, and your dad, also name Davey. we had great times in lowther street even though i was quite little, when we moved house i remember quite alot of things.hope your all well
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd May 2012 12:50pm
Hi Margie i have just discovered this site, even though i have googled Lowther street for a couple of years, i remember you well Marg, coming down back Eccie in your shcool uniform from St Winirfreds and your pumps tied to the back of your satchel lol. Remember when just after we moved, we still went to the thursday night swimming club a couple of time(dolphin club), and our Glenys had just got some talcum powder and smelled of peaches, and you said poooooooooo who's been eating lemmons.and we all laughed. I think Sharon Cohen was there at the time. hope you all(brothers Tommy and John) are well
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd May 2012 1:18pm
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd May 2012 1:26pm
Originally Posted by davew3
For Davey Heyes

This picture (on page 8)has got so many great memories, i was born at number 1 Lowther street, and that bike was mine!!,all the kids in the street used to play on it.Thanks to davew3 for posting it.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd May 2012 4:33pm
The pub behind Marriots is the Lord Exmouth 82/84 exmouth st I lived there from 1932 until 1951 when my father was the manager.
I have fond memories of Marriots yard which before had been a coal yard, I think it belonged to Walter and he had a guy who helped him but when Walter went out he used to dash into the bar and swallow a swift half in one second flat then dash back to work. I remember some names from Lowther st from those days. First there was the Kearns family a tough famiy but good hearts, then there was Vera Lalley who was mentioned in Paul ogradys book, a lovely girl whose name was Vera Buntz until war broke out then like a lot of others she and her mother shed the german name. There was a very strong Orange Lodge family as well whose name evades me who caused consternation when they brought a horse into the street for somebody to ride as King Billy for the parade down Conway st.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd May 2012 4:37pm
The pub behind Marriots is the Lord Exmouth 82/84 exmouth st I lived there from 1932 until 1951 when my father was the manager.
I have fond memories of Marriots yard which before had been a coal yard, I think it belonged to Walter and he had a guy who helped him but when Walter went out he used to dash into the bar and swallow a swift half in one second flat then dash back to work. I remember some names from Lowther st from those days. First there was the Kearns family a tough famiy but good hearts, then there was Vera Lalley who was mentioned in Paul ogradys book, a lovely girl whose name was Vera Buntz until war broke out then like a lot of others she and her mother shed the german name. There was a very strong Orange Lodge family as well whose name evades me who caused consternation when they brought a horse into the street for somebody to ride as King Billy for the parade down Conway st.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 4th May 2012 3:27pm
John Ponton.. now there is a name i remember from long ago. hope all are well.
Posted By: anniebluenose Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th May 2012 3:41pm
Hi... John I remember both you and your sister...Glenys
also your cousin's that lived at the other end of Lowther Street.... the Boyd's ...
Posted By: bonnieboo Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th May 2012 4:56pm
my nan was from 52 fox satreet she lived there with her son stan / billy /sonny holland aka ocker holland they also had a sister margeret holland does any one remeber them jessie holland
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th May 2012 5:26pm
i remember mrs holland very well as we lived in no 50.she had a friend who lived in no 54 but i cant remember her name.your nan was a lovely lady
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th May 2012 11:46am
hi Cavan, yeah i'm doing fine thanks,hope you are too,we used to play out all the time together in Lowther street, never have forgotten you!!
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th May 2012 11:55am
Hi Anniebluenose?? lol my cousins Ian and Joan (Boyds) did live at the end of the strret by the BIG HILL,where did you live?
Posted By: anniebluenose Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th May 2012 12:08pm
Right opposite your house No. 2 ......... Lol laugh
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th May 2012 12:34pm
Aaaawww,so you must be Ann lol i remember you, you used to sometimes come in our house when me mum and dad went round to the Eccie pub lol,i think about Lowther street alot. i think you used to wear pink glasses, your brother Roy was my friend. Do you remember my nin mrs Boyd at number 9 and me auntie May and uncle Charlie at number 7 (Humphries) great to hear from you x
Posted By: anniebluenose Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th May 2012 6:42pm
Hi... John
have sent you a PM hi
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th May 2012 1:37pm
The sisters with the fish shop in Exmouth st opposite the Lord Exmouth [where I used to live] were called Jones and next door was a small dairy owned by a guy called Bellis.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th May 2012 1:40pm
The sisters with the fish shop in Exmouth st opposite the Lord Exmouth [where I used to live] were called Jones and next door was a small dairy owned by a guy called Bellis.
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 12th May 2012 9:13am
I thought the fish shop was called Pringles,I remember the dairy i used to buy pasties from there.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 12th May 2012 10:17am
The fish shop was certainly Jones,s we were very friendly with them and used their phone on occasions as we did not have one ourselves.There were two sisters, and a brother worked behind the scenes and drove the van. The Bellis dairy had the contract to supply milk to St Hughes school.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 12th May 2012 2:25pm
Now Bizzee Bee. I remember after the war a horse called Airborne won one of the big races at a big price and lots of people backed it purely out of sentimentality. Bert Ashman was unlucky because his house was burgled that night and they took his money and all the betting slips so he could not pay out. lol. I think I must be old too.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 12th May 2012 3:14pm
I think the milk bar was Weavers and the son Billy opened a betting office in Tranmere. The bike shop was Rogers Bros run by three brothers one of which went on to run the Astor club. Rogers shop was followed by Addisons chip shop followed by a shop run by one of the Marriots who sold second hand m/cycle parts.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th May 2012 7:32pm
:)Hi John nice to hear from you. Fancy you remembering me running down back eccie hey! Lol. I remember your family well, Glenys, you and at the time baby Graham. I loved Thursday nights when we all used to go to Livvy Baths and then coming home we'd queue at Johnny's in Conway Street for chips and ice cold coke.
I have many happy childhood memories from living in Gladdy and playing round in Lowther/Fox St.
Do you remember we all used to gather on Sandra and David Smalley's window sill or hang around/swing on the lamp post we played kick the can, rounders and we girls played hop-scotch, also skipping, and nick knock. I remember the Humphreys, but only Colin (maybe a Norman) not sure tho. My brothers Tommy & John (we also have Peter) but he was just a new baby when we moved, they remember you and Cavan Pew.
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th May 2012 7:52pm
There were two fish shops in Exmouth Street one was Jones's run by the two sisters which was just a bit up from Rogers bike shop the other one was Pringles which was on the corner of Moon Street. There was also a fish and chip shop near the bottom end where we often got a free bag of batter
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th May 2012 10:11am
Dead correct MargieMck, Jones the fish shop followed by Weavers milk bar/sweet shop, followed by Rogers bros, followed by Addisons chippie and then a shop owned by one of the Marriots selling second hand motor bike parts
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th May 2012 12:06pm
Not many comments on Bryants the sweet shop in Exmouth st or
Mrs Franks commic shop opposite were you could buy comics and
take them back after you had read them and you got a few pennies
for them, she used to have agreat selection of Yankee DC comics
Iused to deliver the papers all down Exmouth st 1951-1955 for the
paper shop on the corner of Exmouth st & Claughton rd
any one remember me (Judda Hayes )

Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th May 2012 1:21pm
Now then George,where would you like to start, I can remember pre 1939 there where two females who used to run it but there might have been others behind the scenes who made the sweets.In the window there was a big electric mixer stirring toffee and us kids used to have our noses pushed up against the window watching the toffee go round.In those days there were no vans and I dont think they supplied other shops.It was purely a home made sweet shop that made good sweets. Regarding Mrs Franks I think she just used her husbands first name who had the shop next door whose name was Frank Rushforth and was a retired music hall comedian.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th May 2012 3:59pm
Bryants used to make a home made pink pepermint chewy toffe
i can remember that, in the 50s with a bit of luck you could get a few sweets when they loaded the van in back Eccky
Me and my mates off Bright st were good at scrounging
if you wernt you got nothing
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 20th May 2012 12:19pm
Now George,it looks as though you youngsters are only interested in sweets & comics not shops. SAD.
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 20th May 2012 1:05pm
Hi Margie, yes I do remember you(of course)lol, I remember your brothers once took me on a bus trip somewhere I don't remember where to... some swings. They said it was their secret place LOL, and we had a great day out(good times.) :)yes we did all sit on smalleys window sill coz it got all the sun on the evens side of the street HA! and remember the games we used to play (letters in your name) (traffic lights) (sausages)( kick the can, where everyone went missing for hours LOL.thats just some games we used to play. me and our Glenys always used to get chips and beans in a cardboard tray from Johnny's chippy on a thursday after swimming. I used to think it was dead posh coz i had a little wooden fork LOL (I loved Lowther Steet I did)x
Posted By: MargieMcK Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 20th May 2012 2:33pm
Thinking about Exmouth Street does anyone remember Owens Bike Shop, Ernie's sweet shop (buttermints as a treat on a Sunday)!! The off licence run by a Mrs & Mrs Brandon who had two daughters Pauline and Peggy, further up on same side a little general store Mrs Marshes and Prestons cake shop up near Rushworth's I think.
Coming down from the top on the other side Reg's who sold cheese, bacon etc there was a hole in the floor of the shop, obviously a cold store/cellar which I thought was great as he disappeared down it now and again. Okell's and Johnnys fruit & veg, Stan and Mrs Stan! butchers, can't remember what was next door think and old empty house?
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st May 2012 11:16am
Hi MargieMcK. In my day there was a tool shop next to Bryants and the greengrocers was called Candlish, I rememember Okells well and there were some empty shops one of which was used by Rogers Bros as a store and another which had been used at one time by a guy who ran a dental laboratory making dentures. He closed because he was exposing himself through the curtains at the back of the window to passing females. All the shops had cellers because they were built on the front of victorian houses and the servants lived below stairs in the old days. The Lord Exmouth still had kitchen ranges in the cellers and bells to call the servants with indicators to show which room.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st May 2012 12:48pm
Why was sitting in the gutter. picking at the Tar Bubbles with a lollyice stick such good fun, i can,t think of one good reason,,, it just was..
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st May 2012 1:43pm
Now Cavan, what about tying a rope to a lamp post and swinging around it.And bowling an old bike wheel down the street or playing tick.We used to do all that.Its no wonder that a lot of kids today are obese, they are in front of the telly or playing elctronic games.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st May 2012 1:58pm
remember the tar bubbles on our street marion street,great fun,like sailing matchbox boats in the gutter.playing alleys and bollies when they were dry,we could play for hours,never cost a penny.,great days.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st May 2012 2:51pm
I remember my Nan giving me a clip around the ear for using one of her stockings to put a tennis ball in the foot and swing it against the wall in some sort of game, or tying it to one leg and skipping with the other one..
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd May 2012 7:37am
Maybe i should have taken her leg out of it first......
Originally Posted by cavan
I remember my Nan giving me a clip around the ear for using one of her stockings to put a tennis ball in the foot and swing it against the wall in some sort of game, or tying it to one leg and skipping with the other one..
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd May 2012 11:35am
Yes Cavan it was great fun, and i used to dig up all the moss that grew beteen the pavements and eat it, when i was quite little,so i was told by me mum lol, thinking of that made me think of Nicky Davis (younger than us)lived in Lowther, mums name i think was Doreen, (Mrs Davis to us) smile
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd May 2012 11:39am
I remember doing that too Cavan LOL LOL (the ball and stocking)
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 23rd May 2012 11:52am
HI Margie I remember Mrs Marsh, she used to cut the cheese and corned beef with a big knife, and always always took a bit and ate it as she served you, imagine anyone doing that these days with all the hygiene laws :0. Her little snood hair net was cute though:)
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st May 2012 8:43am
You are right Joney. trouble is now its us on our computers and laptops lol.lol
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st May 2012 9:56am
Hi Cavan,
I spend about 45 mins a day on the computer, its the cheapest way of reading a british newspaper and keeping in touch here in France. When I am not doing that I cut the the grass in the garden and the orchard, then cut the grass at my sons place then the same at my daughters or I might go for a 3 or 4 mile walk or the same distance on my bike. If I get fed up with that I might cut a few logs for the stove, and the rest of the day I just laze about and have the odd glass of wine. I am now pushing 81 so all that running about back eckie and lowther st and down the back jiggers must have done me some good.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 4th Jun 2012 11:17am
He, He , Keep up the good work and laze about as much as you like you have earned it.
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jun 2012 3:54pm
Does anyone remember the mission at the end of Fox Street? Was it Brougham Mission? We all went there when we were kids
Posted By: flossy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jun 2012 5:51pm
could it be lowe st mission you are talking about
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jun 2012 7:56pm
No, I'm almost sure it was Brougham Mission, but I'm unsure of the spelling.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jun 2012 9:33pm
Your right Dave, Brougham mission, on the same side as the Pero's , behind Maggie Lee's as it was next to a bombed field opposite the "big hill".
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jun 2012 6:23am
Thanks very much for that, any ideas on it's history, where did name 'Brougham Mission'come from? I remember maggie Lees shop, wasn't it unusual more like going into someones front room.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jun 2012 12:46pm
No idea, but one of the ladies used to live about 3 doors down from Hursts bakery in Parkfield Place.
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jun 2012 2:50pm
Yes - I think it was a Miss Simons? Buy the way I have to admit that I only went to the mission to get a place on the summer outing! Not into the religious bit, but each to their own
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Jun 2012 2:48pm
I remember getting sliced bread from Lees in about 1950
they used to slice it on the bacon slicer ,i dont think you could get wrapped sliced bread then
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Jul 2012 1:54pm
Your probably right George can't remember that, one of the things I remember at Maggie Lees was when bonfire night was getting close we used to guard the bonny wood in the back of the houses and go to Maggies and get all her bad eggs in her back yard, her permission was always asked and got, of course the bad eggs were used.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Jul 2012 6:22pm
Was it at Lees where that guy got the sack for putting his private parts in the bacon slicer?

Posted By: granny Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Jul 2012 8:53pm
omg raftl
Posted By: Clem2012 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jul 2012 10:59am
Dear Wikiwirral Forum,

I am a researcher working on a new BBC1 documentary on working class life in Birkenhead and other towns around the UK. We are interested in the community around Lowther Street from the late 19th century until the 1970s.

It is clear from this ‘Lowther, Fox and Craven Street’ thread that many of you think fondly of Birkenhead and your upbringings there. We’d love to hear your memories of this kind, loving and proud community.

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone with memories of living in the Lowther Street area. I’d also love to find any photos or home movies of the area. At this stage it would be just a chat – there’d be no commitment on your part!

You can contact me on my email [email protected] or 02080080711, or feel free to message me on here.

Many thanks for your time.

Best Wishes

Clementine
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jul 2012 11:42am
Haha...fame at last !!!
Hope they don't forget Sun Street smile x
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jul 2012 3:00pm
I hate the BBC, the two pictures under my name are copyright and permission will not be given to the BBC or affiliates to use them.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 7th Jul 2012 9:12am
Hi, Clem; hope you get some good contributions from the folks on here. Can't help you personally, but as this is a long-running thread I'm sure there are some who can.
Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Clem2012 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Jul 2012 12:44pm
Dear Davew3,

I was very sorry to hear of your dislike of the BBC. I wanted to extend my apologies for any previous offence that may have been caused. If it is at all possible for us to rectify your grievance I would be more than happy to try and do so. It is particularly important to us that our viewers and the people who contribute to our programmes are not left dissatisfied, as we rely on the kindness of people such as yourself to make those programmes.

Best Wishes,

Clementine
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Jul 2012 5:32pm
Dear Clementine
unless you can sell the BBC and change the communications act to get rid of the poll tax we have to pay to use other channels other than the BBC then you can't help.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Jul 2012 5:37pm
Found out today Dougy Darroch has the street signs for Lowther st at Fort Perch Rock his dad got them when they were knocking the place down, I haven't seen them but will try to get a picture of the signs and put them on here, I will be going to the fort on Friday.
Posted By: Clem2012 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Jul 2012 2:45pm
That would be wonderful! Thank you Dave. It is great to know what artefacts remain. Anything like that is very helpful.

Clem
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 27th Jul 2012 6:49pm
For the Lowther st gang on this forum, as you see the sign is at Fort Perch rock, New Brighton, due to Dougy Darroch snr saving it from being dumped when they knocked down Lowther st, so we have a fort link with the street name, plus, the spitfire engine from Birkenhead park is on show at the fort and there's a picture of Doughy snr and Bobby Boyd on display when they were digging it up, it crashed in the park in the 1940's and as kids they went to see it, surprisingly we've had a few people from the area visiting the fort, my big sis and little sis and nephew and niece Sharon and Jason were there today, even got a photo next to the Lowther st sign.

Attached picture P7290006_resized.jpg
Attached picture P7290004_resized.jpg
Attached picture P7290014_resized.jpg
Attached picture P7290016_resized.jpg
Attached picture P7290017_resized.jpg
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jul 2012 8:41am
Nice one Dave, wonder if I could get hold of a replica, oh yeh and another thing, I think I reconise the cat!!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Jul 2012 10:11am
Sorry Dave that is an original name plate and is cast iron and weighs about 50lbs and if you were back up here and not in the middle of those southern softies you could pop in and have a look, I'am trying to get Dougy jnr to put it up in the aircraft archaeology display, we did have plenty of bomb fields to play on so I think it's fitting.

The moggy is called Mitchell and lives at the fort, it has a following of little kids, a lady from BBC Radio Merseyside does kids stories and she has the cat as a sleeping fort cat in the day and at night a pirate cat up to no good, when she tells the stories at the fort it gets quite busy.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Jul 2012 6:12pm
Went to the fort this afternoon and speaking to dougy and another, he is going to set the Lowther st sign on the "battlements" next to the remembrance seat he has for his dad Doughy snr and his mum, as snr was from Lowther st, seems very fitting.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Jul 2012 12:29pm
Great pictures of the sign Davey, those signs must be worth a
few bob now,when they were on the walls we must have walked past them hundereds of times and never gave them a second look
now you would give anything for one,it would look good next to
my plastic GOODISON ROAD sign on my shed
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Jul 2012 4:23pm
George, Lowther st was real, Goodison rd is a dream and no your not going to take it to the scrappy, maybe Dougy jnr will flog it to you nono , playing at FPR tomorrow in the marine radio museum, so will see if he has put it up, won't hold my breath.
Posted By: Clem2012 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Aug 2012 2:06pm

Thanks to everyone on this Forum who have contacted me with such great memories of Lowther and the surrounding streets. More memories are still welcome!

Hi Davew3,

We would still really like to talk to you about your memories of Lowther street and see if we can change your mind about the BBC.
If you have a moment perhaps you could call me on 02080080711 or email [email protected]

Best

Clem
Posted By: ad3000 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Aug 2012 7:01pm
Doesnt Paul OGrady mention the Exmouth st area in his memoirs? I know he lived in Holt Hill, but Im sure his aunt was a clippy round town too.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Aug 2012 7:13pm
Apparently she lived in Lowther Street.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Aug 2012 6:30pm
The Lowther St sign is at Fort Perch rock, on a seat above the main gate, Sneezy, yes his Aunt was a Fawcett, they lived in the end house next to the entry where the big hill was.
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Aug 2012 1:21pm

Attached picture Lowther_Street_#1_001.jpg
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Aug 2012 1:30pm
This is Lowther street back in the 1950's. I think it was the festival of Britain 1951. Does anyone recognise themselves, or any old neighbours????

Attached picture Lowther_Street_#2_001.jpg
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Aug 2012 1:45pm
RE: The first photo above...Taken in Lowther street, 1953. To celebrate Queen Elizabeth II coronation. Does anybody recognise themselves, or any neighbours ??? ( Sorry about posting this separately, but I was unable to "Edit" the original picture post, for some strange reason...)
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Aug 2012 1:55pm
MY mum is on this picture, (centre,laughing), under the second lady standing on the window sill !!.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Aug 2012 2:44pm
Of course I can recognise lots of our neighbours, do we know who took these pics?, I got copies off my big sis of these photos years ago but never put them up because they weren't mine also left copies at FPR as Dougies family is on them.
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Aug 2012 9:30am
Hi davew 3,
I do not know who the original photographer is either. There must have been lots of copies made, as my mum had these pics for years herself. I just thought I would share them on here, as this site is related to memories of Lowther Street, and the people who lived there.
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 22nd Aug 2012 9:41am
So good to see the old Lowther Street sign again!!!
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 24th Aug 2012 1:26pm
I can see framed in the open doorway on the left, Vera lalley in the Festival of Britain photo. She is mentioned in Paul O`gradys book,it brings back memories.
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Aug 2012 12:25pm
Yes auntie Vera ( as we called her, and uncle Pat with son Raymond ) lived next door to us at number 3 Lowther Street.
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Aug 2012 5:36pm
Yes good old vera had a lovely personality.I could never understand when I was a child why somebody who I always knew as Vera buntz became Vera Lalley in 1939. But as an adult it became very plain.
Posted By: markjw Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 28th Aug 2012 5:53pm
Wow!! Just stumbled across this. Vera was my grandmother on my father's (Ray) side. Unfortunately she passed away a while back. Pat died unfortunately when I was only seven, although I do remember him as a very kind man.

My dad is still going strong...
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Aug 2012 3:24pm
Last saw Vera selling fruit & veg from a stall in the old market,she had a smile and a word for everyone.She could certainly do the business.
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Aug 2012 3:55pm
Hi John, the little girl dressed as a queen in the front of the picture looks like Irene Pew, sad thing is, if it is her, she gave birth to me six years after the photo was taken, innocence doesn't last long.....
Posted By: cavan Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Aug 2012 3:58pm
Fifth in from the right, i am sure that is my Nan. Molly Pew.
Posted By: ritaeltaki Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Sep 2012 9:03pm
hi john just noticed me mum in the second photo standing under the last woman on the right,who is standing on the windowsill. made up i am.did you see the photo with your bike,that was our dad's car.i remember the reg TED 598.who owned that racing car?.can't remember the name of the family who lived in no 6.just remember one of the lads was called leslie.
Posted By: ritaeltaki Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 4th Sep 2012 9:46am
was wrong about the reg of my dad's car it was TED 798 or 799.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2012 9:10am
Not much of a mention about the streets just higher up Back Eccky
Bright st & Fox st,there were quite a few charecters lived there when i lived around there. It was quite a close knit comunity we had a few fall outs now and then but we always made up One of my best memories was the bon fire nights, we always had a big fire on the bombed site in Bright st it was one of the best in the area Great memories, good times
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2012 10:35am
Hi Mark glad you liked the pic,I saw your dad Raymond a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years smile
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2012 10:38am
Hi Rita glad you found this site, yes thats auntie May smile
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2012 10:43am
Hi Caven,Yes that is your mum and it is your nan,I know because me mum used to point out the old neighbours on the pic for years when we got the old photo's out lol
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Sep 2012 10:57am
Hi Rita was the name Brown.... i remember Mrs Brown, but can't remember what number they lived in (she is on the photo).
Posted By: ritaeltaki Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Sep 2012 6:57pm
hi john it was the browns,they lived at no 6,but wouldn't know what mrs brown looked like.wish i could see more photies though,i just love looking back.
Posted By: Limeymum Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Sep 2012 8:00pm
We originally lived next to the Chippy in Craven St then moved to Old Fox St I do have pics somewere but my copier is not working will try to post when I can get it fixed and can figure out how to put them on here
Posted By: Limeymum Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Sep 2012 8:17pm
The yard was on Exmouth St and the white buildig behind is part of the pub Wow! never thought I would see pics like this ever again. Wish they were captioned so I would know where I was -- it looks a completly different world now Marriotes used to be a junk yard.the floor was always filthy wet mud and they used to throw down brass bedsteads so you could walk through the mess,remember the pawn shop on the other side of street?
Posted By: Briannic Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Sep 2012 10:51pm
It does indeed look like Bentinck Street in the distance ..I remember 'Nellie Heggies' on one corner of Sun Street, and Bert the Butcher on the other corner.. The mission you mentioned was 'ST Matthews' church hall or mission.
Posted By: Limeymum Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Sep 2012 10:59pm
Phil the Music Hall is still there=- Swank Rogers must be dead by now I am trying to figure the block where you lived did your home face the side of the cinema? or on Claughton road looking at the bombed site that we used to have our bonfires on? We moved from Craven St to Old Fox St in 1942 five doors up from the mission then moved to Aspinall St when my grandmother passed away in 1946 then to Woodchurch then when married moved to Well lane in Tranmere , now live in NJ.. USA been here since 1972 My Uncle John Wiggins lived in the house next door to the Music Hall
Posted By: Briannic Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 18th Sep 2012 11:07pm
Hi.
Just found your picture that you posted... My house is in the distance 54 Bentinck Street .One of the three that had attics..
Is there any chance you could send me a copy of that picture, and tell me do you have any more pics of same district at all.. Thrilled to be able to see my old house after so long, even though it is in the distance.I am hoping to get it blown up if you could possibly send me a copy . I don't know whether I am allowed to say this but my e-mail address is. [email protected] .... regards Brian
Posted By: Limeymum Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Sep 2012 1:34am
We lived at 13 Fox St just 6 doors up from mission In the second or third house on the left of pic of Lowther St a family lived there who used to mind my sister Pat while Mum worked at Littlewoods. Pat was only a baby and too young for nursery. Would be 1942-43
Posted By: Limeymum Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Sep 2012 1:42am
Did anyone walk along top of backyard walls and did you ever see a monkey tied to a wash mangle in one backyard in old Lowther Street ? It would be a house on right hand side as you came in from Bentick St-about 4-5 houses in.
Posted By: Razzi Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Sep 2012 7:14am
That couldve been my grandfathers monkey... sorry to be so un pc but its name was ni.. no i cant say it, but you get the picture. He was a merchant seaman and it came home with him from one of his trips to sea. I vaguely remember it,but it used to live in the coal shed and was really angry. as kids we were never allowed to go near it. I know it used to sit on the backyard wall and if anyone tried to get past, it used to shit in its hand and chuck it at them. I think someone poisoned it in the end.
Posted By: Norton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Sep 2012 12:45pm
Hi Brian, welcome to WikiWirral.

I only spotted your request by chance. It would have been better to use a PM (Personal Message)[My Stuff - Messages - New Private Message]. Or, click on the senders name, and a drop-down box gives you the oppertunity to send a PM from there. That way I get alerted and you don't need to put your email out for all to see.
Anyway, I'm glad the photo is relavent to you. I'll get back to you. Check your email or PM mailbox later.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 19th Sep 2012 4:05pm
We lived at 263 Claughton rd facing the bombed site on Bright st our coal man only had one arm and his nick name was one arm WIGGIE how he managed was mystery He had a yard next to the Music Hall pub, it was quite a big house it was on the corner of i think Malta st He was scared stiff of our small dog prince we had to lock it away before he would deliver the coal
Posted By: johnponton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Sep 2012 11:30am
Hi Rita Mrs Brown is in the second pic 2nd from end in front on left wearing a party hat and a long coat.
Posted By: ritaeltaki Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Sep 2012 4:06pm
Hi John, remember Mrs Brown now,if I'm not mistaken Lesley Brown looked a lot like her.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 3rd Oct 2012 4:34pm
Just to let you know the Lowther Street sign has found a spot above the mirror where Dougy has the Spitfire engine from Birkenhead park on display at Fort Perch Rock.

Just a thought, Sun 14th is the 70th anniversary of this event and I believe that the RAF band are at the Floral Pavilion and there is a small service/memorial at the site of the crash I think Birkenhead park have the details, I can't find my info but will see Dougy on Friday if anybody wants more, everybody is welcome .
Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 8th Oct 2012 10:11am
I remember someone at the end of Lowther st,it may have been number 1 being married to a free french sailor who used to sometimes have a drink in the Exmouth, has anybody any info on this.
Posted By: Norton Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Oct 2012 12:58pm
Just had a word with my father-in-law, who used to be a 'solid fuel merchant'.
He remembers 'Wiggie' the one-armed coal merchant. It seems that he was one of three Wiggins brothers, all in the coal buisness. He thinks he lost his arm in WW1. Aparrently, he used to work with the crew on the waggon, organising their work, not carrying coal himself.
And every day, he would cycle to and from the coal yard - with just one hand on the bars.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Oct 2012 1:30pm
Another grey cell jolted back to life.... Wiggins the Coal Merchant. Mum & Dad used to get deliveries of coal from Wiggins when we lived in Prenton in the 50's/60's. I recall their wagon at the time was an ex-army Bedford lorry. Sometimes grossly overloaded or maybe it was just knackered springs ?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 11th Oct 2012 2:14pm
That was John,, he lost his arm, when he caught it on barbed whilst being captured in WWI and it went worse and the Germans removed it, he did deliver coal and I can remember him delivering it himself, I believe there were four of them, Richard and Freddy and Jimmy, and I expect Limeymum will let you know a bit more info, so be careful what you say. seeyu happy
Posted By: davewilliamson Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Oct 2012 3:11pm
On the theme of memorable tradesmen, does anyone remember a Co-op milkman called George? His round included Lowther Street; in the late forties he would deliver milk from a horse drawn cart. I think his horse was called Peggy. The delivery vehicle changed with the times going from horse drawn to lorry to electric cart. He was a real character
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 29th Oct 2012 5:04pm
I remember wiggins the coal merchants.Used to be on my paper round. alway give me a good christmas tip They where asda is now.
Posted By: Icarus Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Nov 2012 9:04pm
Phillhere,
Is there any possibility of getting a better quality copy of this picture .....that's my Dad in this picture and he passed away nearly 10 years ago .....he did a few jobs for the Marriot's ....such as house clearing and was always browsing for bargains .....he would bring home what he thought was a great find .....only for my little Mum to throw it out .

Cheers
Posted By: JCartwright Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Dec 2012 3:36pm
Hi George
I hope you are well?
I believe you know my Dad - Maurice Cartwright?!
I came on here to find out info on Gladstone Street and noticed one of your messages : )
Jan
Posted By: JCartwright Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Dec 2012 5:02pm
OOh that is my Auntie Elizabeth you mentioned! grin
Posted By: JCartwright Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Dec 2012 5:11pm
Hi,
Just looked at your message.
I am a Cartwright too and have a David Cartwright in my family (my uncle).
My Grandad was Charlie (Chuck) and worked at the brickworks in Moreton. My Nan was Margaret who he was married to and they had 7 children.
I think we could be related maybe smile
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Dec 2012 8:53pm
JAN i do know your dad we were best mates in the 50s we went to the same school HEMMY we were in the same class , went on holidays together BUTLINS went drinking together at 16 +
We went clubbing together at the Empress and the Craftsmans
going to sea split us up we were never home at the same time
Iwent to his wedding but we lost touch as i moved
I did call to see him months ago it was great to see him, we
were a good team together, he was a diamond

Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Dec 2012 8:55pm
JAN i do know your dad we were best mates in the 50s we went to the same school HEMMY we were in the same class , went on holidays together BUTLINS went drinking together at 16 +
We went clubbing together at the Empress and the Craftsmans
going to sea split us up we were never home at the same time
Iwent to his wedding but we lost touch as i moved
I did call to see him months ago it was great to see him, we
were a good team together, he was a diamond

Posted By: JCartwright Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 21st Dec 2012 10:15pm
Hi George,
Thanks for messaging!
I believe you was his Best Man smile I'll have to get their wedding photos out!
I was talking to my Mum and Dad earlier about seeing your message on here. They said you called to see them earlier on this year then my Dad had the stroke but he's recovering ok smile
I've been working on the family tree lately and it brought me to this site! I've been trying to find some old photos of Gladstone Street or family pics - they said you could tell me all sorts of stories of the past smile
Jan x
Posted By: Jackie1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 26th Apr 2013 9:23am
We used to live in lowther street no15 with our nan and granddad mr& mrs pew.also over the road, at i think no31 with mum.irene.Had to move to the woodchurch i think in about 1968.Remember getting run over in the next street, i was about 3 at the time,the story goes the butcher came out to pick me up.My nan said it was a nurse that ran me over.She (my nan) kept the trousers i had on with tyre marks on.i never seen them,so i think that was just a family myth lol.
Posted By: Icarus Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jun 2013 3:47am
This is another request to an earlier posting some 6-months agao regarding obtaining a copy of the photograph showing Marriots ....in a posting from 2008

Unsure whether this is the yard at Exmouth / Gladstone street as mentioned earlier, but underneath the main signage, you can make out the words motor cycles and spares...

can't figure what the building in the background is, relative to where this might be....

any ideas let me know....
Phill

Posted By: joney Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 6th Jun 2013 7:59am
The building in the background of the Marriots yard shot is the Lord Exmouth. I used to live there.
Posted By: jilly Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Jul 2013 12:02pm
Hi, You asked if any one remembers the Burnetts I am Beryl,Who are you?
Cheers
Posted By: Tranmere_Rover Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 14th Aug 2013 9:06am
Hi - just looking at your photo and I think I recognise my grandmother Dorothy Porter, but if that's her, it must be 1950s rather than 60s. I may be wrong of course as I never met her but have seen her in family photos. I was born at 44 Sun St, but we moved to Neston when I was 4.

The name Raymond Deer rings a bell, and I remember Richmonds & Portbury's well.

Anyone remember by grandparents, Dorothy & Walter Porter at 44 Sun St? My mum was Joyce Porter.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Aug 2013 6:57pm
hello and thankyou for your message and reply . you may be quite right about the photo being 1950 ish early 1960 .nellie heggies grocers on the corner of sun st and bentinck st, i lived 4 houses down in bentinck st from nellie heggies . my next door but one neighbours were called porter leslie and alan .my surname is robinson,i know most of the faces in photo but not all the names.nice to hear from you. ta ra bye.
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 15th Aug 2013 8:52pm
Didn't Miss Heggies have a big advert for Bovril, on the shop ceiling? It was a picture of a bull and it scared the life out of me when I was little. I remember the Porters. They lived next door to the Duffs, Rita and Jimmy. Then there was Mrs Griffiths at No48 Sun St. The Deers lived opposite Mrs Griffiths, Ronnie was the only one I knew.
Posted By: Tranmere_Rover Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 6:12am
Was it Mrs Gittins who lived at 48? The name Duff rings a bell too.
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 6:48am
Originally Posted by Tranmere_Rover
Was it Mrs Gittins who lived at 48? The name Duff rings a bell too.

Definitely Griffiths. She had two daughters, Doreen and Joan.
All related to me but now, sadly, all passed away.

Jimmy Duff went to sea. He once bought home a spider monkey and they kept it in their cellar. I remember it escaping and everyone chasing it around the back yard. Don't know the outcome. I was only about aged five at the time.
Posted By: Tranmere_Rover Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 7:06am
I remember a Mrs Gittins but not sure which house she was in? I vaguely recall she might have been next door.

Do you remember my mum, Joyce Porter, or her sister Dorothy (who died when she was 21) or my uncle, Len Porter?
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 7:15am
Mrs Griffiths was my Nan and Doreen my Mum. We left Sun St when I was five but I although I cannot remember the Porters personally I always remember your Mum and Dad because of the old song, 'Oh, Mr porter what shall I do?'. Funny how some things stick in your mind, isn't it?
Posted By: Tranmere_Rover Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 7:19am
Yep - it really is funny the bits I remember from Sun St because, a bit like you, I left there just before my 4th birthday.

One clear memory I have is sitting on the blue window sill at the front of the house when it was a really hot Summer's day. No idea why such an irrelevant memory has stuck all these years!
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 7:27am
That is really weird.I have a photograph of my Mum and myself sitting on our window sill. If I had a scanner I could show you. Pity.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 16th Aug 2013 10:43am
I knew Raymond Deer and I went to school with his brother Ronnie Deer. They also had brothers and sisters. There was a family called Rhodes in Sun St. I believe they were related .
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Aug 2013 3:50pm
re J cartwright i was your dads mate and i think i was his best man when he got married in Rock Ferry, it was a long time ago and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then
I remember going to the wedding with the usual suspects Tony Mick + me what a team, if the Devil could have cast his net that night he would have done well
I watched a programme with Paul OGrady about Lowther st just at the back of where your dad lived it brought back a lot of great memories, had a few problems with my computer so i could not reply to any messages
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 30th Aug 2013 8:11pm
I lived at 47 Sun Street from early 60's up until just before it was all pulled down...loved it around there, we had a great speck looking straight down Hilton Street 😊 I don't remember many of the names getting bandied about, I do remember the Deers and I remember that our neighbours both sides had the same name but weren't related, sure it was Owens.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 17th Mar 2014 3:04pm
These photos are from the bentinck street area.

Attached picture Bentinck Street etc 001.jpg
Posted By: JAC161 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Aug 2016 8:32am
George, do you remember a Ted Walker from this area? Many thanks!
Posted By: JAC161 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Aug 2016 8:33am
Ted Walker used to work in a pub off Exmouth Street. Do you or others remember him?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 2nd Aug 2016 6:23pm
What was the pub JAC?
Maybe some of the other (older) wiki members will have a better idea
Posted By: Briannic Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st Jan 2018 5:09pm
David or John Robinson ? .. I lived at 54 Bentinck Street... Brian Nicholls..
Posted By: arsenal Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 31st Jan 2018 6:59pm
This is John from 56 Bentinck Sreet Hope all's well with you
Posted By: Kylix Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 9th Jul 2018 11:31pm
Hi,
looking at an old map of Birkenhead, surveyed in 1872-75, published 1882, Fox Street is shown as Brougham Street and the Mission Hall is also shown.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Jul 2018 6:47am
Not sure when the changeover happened, the snippet is from, 12 January, 1876, in the Newspaper, Baner Ac Amserau Cymru.

Fox Street was also recorded in the 1881 census.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Jul 2018 7:39am
1874 map shows Brougham Street off Union St, near Peel St, Tranmere. It's also recorded in the 1911 census close to Union St and Peel St.

Both existed at the same time and I assume one was dropped to save confusion.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Lowther, Fox & craven street - 10th Jul 2018 8:27am
Two Streets away from Fox/Brougham Street, Bentinck Terrace became Gordon Street around the same period.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral