Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 27th Sep 2008 3:29pm
I have been meaning to photograph this milestone for a while now. It is on the corner of Woodchurch Road and Gorsefield Road. It appears on many Maps and there is another one along the road. A lovely couple live at the house, they were saying that things like this need to be preserved. Apparantly it had been removed in the past and the owner was told he had to put it back.

When I was young the inscription was very legibly but now you can't read the milage any longer.

I have put up four pictures - two low-res, two hi-res. One of each pair is with flash (first) and the other without. Perhaps some photoshop wizards can get more out the inscription.

Attached picture FerryMSS8002503.JPG
Attached picture FerryMSS8002504.JPG
Attached picture S8002503.JPG
Attached picture S8002504.JPG
Posted By: vango Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 27th Sep 2008 8:51pm
good pic man things like that are inportant thumbsup
Posted By: vango Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 27th Sep 2008 8:53pm
woodside ferries ? is this the same az monks ferries think
Posted By: lawton Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 27th Sep 2008 10:29pm
ive never notcied that and i live in gorsefield raod, lol. will have to have a look sometime
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 28th Sep 2008 8:19am
Originally Posted by vango
woodside ferries ? is this the same az monks ferries think

No, not the same.
Posted By: vango Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 28th Sep 2008 8:33am
thanks for that chriskay thumbsup think al hava a littel look at the mile stone later al clock it in ma car later
Posted By: spinking Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 28th Sep 2008 8:36am
WOW i lie right by that and have never noticed will take a look later.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Woodchurch Road - Ferries Milestone - 17th May 2010 5:50am
The Gorsefield Road milestone shows 'WOODSIDE FERRY 2' although the inscription is worn and the tarmac partly obscures the number.
The stone is similar to that at Greasby (now outside the library) which shows 'WOODSIDE FERRY 6'.

Attached picture Milestone at Greasby library.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral