Forums
Posted By: Ducko Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Aug 2008 11:43am
tryin to find to footedge ov them gettin blowen up
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Aug 2008 12:17pm
still looking for footage mate but found this .how they looked just after they were built thumbsup

Attached picture 926[1].jpg
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Aug 2008 12:20pm
The building in the centre is the Angel pub which was left standing when the buildings came down
Posted By: Ducko Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Aug 2008 12:21pm
johnno i think it was 1 ov sound lads threds mat but carnt find it
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Aug 2008 12:38pm
It will be in one of his wirral memories or wirral past vids but he has lots on here and on you tube so good luck
Posted By: Ducko Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Aug 2008 12:46pm
cheers kido
Posted By: Northender Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 14th Oct 2008 4:31pm
The demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens is on a video called Wirral Memories of the 1960's and 1970's which is available by mail order from the Wirral Champion.

http://wirralchampion.co.uk/index.asp?section=products&page=4

I have seen this video which is made by Pleasures Past and is narrated by former Radio Merseyside presenter Monty Lister.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 14th Oct 2008 5:09pm
I didn't realise that they were right near the Angel.
I thought the name was Oakeneldon Gardens when I was a kid - didn't realise they were separate names. Why did they think it was ok to call an ugly block of flats 'gardens'?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 16th Oct 2008 10:31pm
Watch the video here tease happy
Posted By: salbb Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 18th Feb 2009 11:57pm
wow, showing my age now, we went on a coach trip from school to see them demolished! i think i was about 7 years old, what a sight it was
x
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 12:12am
I think the pub was Duke of Connaught 6 Park Street 6 1 St Annes Street
The Angel was at the end near to where photo was taken

Attached picture angel.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 10:29pm
I remember them been built, had a mate who moved into the top floor corner masonete of Eldon Gardens as the first tenant of it. within 18 months he along with a lot of other residents where sick of the flats due to all the ... that destroyed what could have been a peacefull life for all the good law abiding tenants who where attempting to raise there familys in a safe enviroment.i am going back to as early as 1962 when the flats started to go down hill due to the ... that where always hanging round making trouble.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 10:38pm
wow how surreal that pub looks amognst those huge buildings omg
by looking at this pic, one couldn`t imagine it was birkenhead.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hoseman Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 10:54pm
I vuagly remember them, think it was mid 80`s, I definatly remember the Angel, lovely reputation apparently!! I was working in Milton pavement in the precinct. Remember the flats being blown, dont know when tho!! Just remember the Angel standing on its own afterwards for years in a wasteland!
Posted By: scoops Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 11:02pm
They were blown in the late 70's/early 80's. I know this for a fact as I still lived in Birkenhead when they went and I moved to Rock Ferry in 1981.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 11:38pm
Ive just checked mate, you where nearly right n i was wrong!!!
They were blown on Sunday 30th September 1979!!!! Dont ask what bloody time tho!! LOL
Posted By: scoops Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 11:42pm
Sometime between 11:30am and 3pm laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th Feb 2009 11:44pm
lol laugh
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 20th Feb 2009 9:14pm
Originally Posted by scoops
Sometime between 11:30am and 3pm laugh

i think it may of been even earlier than that as my dad was a milkman at the time in upton village and i went with him one day and i remember we heard the explosion in upton village and my mum did not hear it in singleton avenue prenton which we thought was strange. dont remember it being on a sunday either.....or maybe my memories are playing tricks on me,getting on a bit now..40 this year lol
Posted By: kimpri Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 20th Feb 2009 11:09pm
was deffo on Sunday 30th sep 1979! Did milkmen deliver milk on sundays to houses? Did to shops know that. may be
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 20th Feb 2009 11:13pm
hmmm .i am all confused now,must speak to dad.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2009 1:54pm
Can someone show me on a street map where they used to be please?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2009 6:18pm
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2009 7:28pm
Weren't they further over, by Watson Street, where Oak Street and Eldon Place are on this 1910 map?

Attached picture oakandeldon.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2009 7:30pm
WHen I was a kid I thought the name was all one word - Oakenelden raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2009 8:00pm
70s aerial (1971-1973)

Attached picture oak-and-eldon.gif
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 11th Mar 2009 3:20pm
Thanks for that.. just wanted to confirm they were where I live now...
Posted By: kimpri Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 16th Mar 2009 2:16pm
Just found this electric bill from 1958 in loft

Attached picture phpCLD1U9AM.jpg
Attached picture phpHmbl8fAM.jpg
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 17th Mar 2009 12:06am
For people who havnt seen my videos which can be found searching the Index of WirralHistory which is located Here i thought i would post the snippet on the 1960's and 1970's video for you to see the Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens.. Enjoy happy

[youtube]HSGmjjsWmYc[/youtube]
Posted By: Razzi Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 18th Mar 2009 5:20pm
I worked for mighalls garage on Conway street bottom of exmouth road at the time of the demolition of oak and eldon and i remember the council came round on a Saturday afternoon(think it was the council) and boarded up the plate glass windows in case they got blown in. They came in and took them down on the monday afterwards ....

I used to go in the angel for a drink with an ex boyfriend who was on their pool team, i remember it as being a lovely clean welcoming place. My aunt edith lived off watson st in a small terraced house and i remember in the early 70s going to vist and the house shaking every time a train went through the tunnels under the houses.. she also still had gas lighting with little sock covers which i thought was very dark ages, us having a draylon suite and all that.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 21st Mar 2009 1:54pm
Excellent Soundlad. Thank you.
Posted By: Vanquished Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 22nd Mar 2009 8:13pm
I was there when they were blown. My mum collected for 'Telebank' emptying rented TV's at the gardens. At 43 seconds in Soundlads video, I know the lad in the bottom right.

Nice one Lee! Your videos are great.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 22nd Mar 2009 11:48pm
Just like to point out fella not my videos am afraid although id like to take credit i cant. They are avalible from pleasures past which you can find googling around the full credit goes to Angus Tilston who has made some fantastic history vidoes here on the wirral.. I just put them up on Youtube as they are a good source of information for the History part of this site happy but thanks any way fella smile
Posted By: Vanquished Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 23rd Mar 2009 5:48pm
Yeah, no problem Lee.
Anyway, I have watched all your history video's and commented too. My user name is ukspeedbag on you tube, you have left a comment sometime ago on my channel.
It was the demolition video info that got me to join the forum. So thanks for that mate.

Vini
Posted By: bigpete Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 7th May 2009 10:01am
Originally Posted by hoseman
I vuagly remember them, think it was mid 80`s, I definatly remember the Angel, lovely reputation apparently!! I was working in Milton pavement in the precinct. Remember the flats being blown, dont know when tho!! Just remember the Angel standing on its own afterwards for years in a wasteland!

Yeah the Angel improved dramatically when Oak and Eldon went and became a busy bikers pub - complete with superb real ales and 'heavy' (we called it 'smelly' music) music.
I remember at this time as it was completely isolated as the new private estate in the St Annes Street/Price Street area had not been built yet....
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 28th May 2009 2:15pm
Any more photos of oak and eldon?
Posted By: Northender Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 20th Jul 2009 11:56pm
Yes, it was definitely 30 September 1979 and it was a Sunday. I stood at the side of the old General Hospital and watched it from there. In fact I recorded it on a portable cassette recorder.

The flats were at the side of the cygnet pub and the row of shops had scaffolding in front of them to protect them from the blast. There is a small housing estate there now.

As far as I know the Ford Estate was completed around 1970 and many people from Ilchester Square went there. Oak and Eldon residents are more likely to have been rehoused on the Noctorum Estate.

Some of the big pieces of concrete from Oak and eldon were put on the beach between Wallasey Beach and Leasowe. That was before the existing sea wall was built/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 10th Aug 2009 12:17pm
Another view of Eldon Gardens in 1958

Attached picture Eldon_Gardens_1958.jpg
Posted By: marvelwear Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 23rd Sep 2009 7:29pm
I watched them being blown up!early 80s
Posted By: scoops Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 23rd Sep 2009 9:04pm
Originally Posted by marvelwear
I watched them being blown up!early 80s

You mean late 70's wink
It was Sunday 30th September 1979 laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2010 11:13am
I have this saved on my computer. I thought it was off wikiwirral but I can't find it anywhere?.. so will post it

Before and after looking from Price Street direction. Cygnet pub in front.

Attached picture OakandEldon-Before.jpg
Attached picture OakandEldon-After.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2010 11:54am
Brilliant photos, good thread. Many happy nights in the Cygnet when I was home on leave, used to drink with some of the Gardens residents. A lot were moved to the Ford. Remember it was always their case that their lot would be improved if they had proper gardens etc. Some lovely people there as well as the .... The only trouble was that the ... set about knackering the Ford as well. My own mum and dad ended up on the Ford as well, couldn't stand it and ended up moving back to town.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2010 6:08pm
Always fascinated by these because I remember them so well. They were demolished while I was in foriegn parts. When I got back to UK the following year it was quite a shock to see them gone.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2010 8:12pm
like the pics
Gives me a good idea of where they were looking at the Cygnet
These are at the other end compared to the pics I've usually seen
Posted By: nuddy Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 9th Mar 2010 9:07pm
That vid on page 2 is sound soundlad, im 1 of the kids on it 35 secs in!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 20th Mar 2010 7:29pm
some pics to compare

Description: before and after
Attached picture OakandEldon-BeforeandAfter.jpg

Description: about 1989/1990
Attached picture ST LAW.jpg

Description: latest
Attached picture latest.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 30th Jun 2010 4:21pm
Can anyone cofirm if these pub names are correct on pics of Oak and Eldon

301 Duke of Connaught 60 Park Street 60 1 St Annes Street

Clarendon Hotel or Burns Cottage Hotel St Annes Street Watson Street

Boars Head to Eldon Street/Market Street probably demolished before flats built

Description: where Orange dots are
Attached picture oak and eldon aerial.jpg
Attached picture oak and eldon pubs.jpg
Attached picture boars head .jpg
Posted By: Longnails Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 30th Jun 2010 6:22pm
I remember these flats only because Mum and Dad took me there whilst young to visit their friends, Beryl and Jack. They were daunting to say the least and I would not have liked to live there.
Posted By: starakita Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 1st Jul 2010 9:06am
my mum said they went to look at a show flat when they were built. she said it was nice inside very modern. she went with a couple of my aunties,one lived in park street where europa pool is now,she couldn't get granada only htv because of the flats, she was made up when they came down.I went to see them getting blown up, id only just started going out with my hubby.Oscarpops was with us. we watchd from watson street,we got covered in dust.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 25th Sep 2010 4:22pm
her she is coming down peeps will post a better pic soon got lots to sort through enjoy! smile

Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 25th Sep 2010 6:17pm
I remember them well. My Mum used to work for Howards the Liverpool HP firm and we used to deliver good there usually at Christmas...kids toys and that. You had to watch out for TVs being through from the balconys above.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Jan 2011 6:02am
used to go that way to cathcart street school sometimes,from our house in marion street,used to get chased.good days.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Jan 2011 8:54am
Very nice area now smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Jan 2011 11:06am
Knew a lot of brilliant people in those flats, there were a lot of nutters as well. They served their purpose well, housing people from the back to backs in the town.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Jan 2011 5:56pm
the back to backs were the heart and soul of birkenhead. i enjoyed my childhood,brilliant. leave the front door open without fear,i lived very near oak and eldon,awful places,gettos.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Jan 2011 9:27pm
Was it an actual original back to back that you lived in or a two up ,two down?
Originally Posted by cathcart
the back to backs were the heart and soul of birkenhead. i enjoyed my childhood,brilliant. leave the front door open without fear,i lived very near oak and eldon,awful places,gettos.
Posted By: Asparagus Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 27th Jan 2011 2:27pm
Hello! I remember this well. Me and my mum went into town to watch it. We stood at Charing Cross opposite where McDonalds is now. Heard some loud cracks then down they came. It was definiely a Sunday and I seem to recall it happened at around 10am. Later that evening, my Dad took us for a drive as close to the site as we could get. I was 7 at the time and the next day in school it was all everyone could talk about!
Posted By: ohayus Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 11th Mar 2011 1:20pm
Boars head was on the corner of 18 Eldon and 191 Market street although it's address was 18 Eldon Street my Great Grandfather ran this pub in the 1920's
Posted By: ohayus Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 11th Mar 2011 1:26pm
they were blown at 11 o clock because they knocked on the doors to make sure you weren't in and they got me out of bed
Posted By: cathcart Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 13th Mar 2011 7:45pm
i lived in marion street which was backed on to dacre street.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 17th Mar 2011 3:26pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
some pics to compare

What was the name of that church behind the Cygnet pub?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 17th Mar 2011 6:55pm
think it was St Lawrence (St Laurence?)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 17th Mar 2011 7:13pm
The nearby school is St Laurences...
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 17th Mar 2011 9:19pm

The church was St Laurence, there's a picture and information on it here.
Posted By: geejay64 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 6th Apr 2011 8:35pm
hi all, just viewed the demolition of oak and eldon gardens-remember it well. there is a mention of angus tilston and his local history videos. i had the pleasure of going on a business trip briefly with him in the mid 1990's. he was working for merseytravel then so may have local transport stuff if anyone is interested.
on a personal note, i loved drinking in the angel, we would then go to the argyle(roughly where argos is now).
Posted By: cooldarls Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 19th May 2011 3:56pm
My dad lived in the Duke of Conault (spelling bad) pub before he moved to Rock Ferry with his family. He remembers people building the flats and he remembers them being knocked down. people on here most probably know him or his family.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 15th Feb 2012 3:45pm

Oak and Eldon?

Attached picture OakandEldonwchurch.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 21st Feb 2012 8:50pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
I didn't realise that they were right near the Angel.
I thought the name was Oakeneldon Gardens when I was a kid - didn't realise they were separate names. Why did they think it was ok to call an ugly block of flats 'gardens'?

You're right on the money there, used to live on the 5th floor at Livingstone Gardens and it was no joke, useless lifts and although most of the neighbours were grand, one or two were a pain in the arris and you couldn't get away from them. Moved out into Hilbre Street once we'd had enough. It was ok when you didn't have anywhere else to go though I suppose.
Posted By: alanandlinda Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 23rd Feb 2012 4:57pm
hello any photographs the surrounding streets to eldon gardens and conway street thanks
Posted By: Nigel Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 5th Oct 2012 9:23am
Great pictures,Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 5th Oct 2012 12:17pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
Great pictures,Thanks for posting.

I remember "throwing a strop" because my dad would not take me down there to watch them being blown up! It was said at the time Terry Wogan was viewing the demolition from above in a helicopter maybe for a TV report? I would have been 11 years old at the time.
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 8th Oct 2012 4:33pm
Back in the early 80s there was a sitcom call The Cowboys about a company of dodgy builders. It starred Colin Welland and Roy Kinnear. One of the episodes was based around them getting trapped in the basement of Oak and Eldon Gardens as the flats were being blown up. IIRC they found a way out and were only pretending to be trapped to get some sympathy and extra money off their boss. In fact they spent the day nipping to The Bluebell on Freeman St.

Doubt the series has ever been repeated and I'm sure it isn't on YouTube.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 8th Oct 2012 8:03pm
I vagely remember the series, the episode was called "Remember Honky Stubbs "S1 EP 3

"Workmen use explosives to demolish an old building, not realising that Geyser, Wobbly Ron and Eric are in the cellar, playing cards. Joe panics at the thought of his men entombed under tonnes of rubble. Actually, they could not be safer - Geyser finds an exit by kicking a hole in the wall of an adjacent men's toilet. Rather than go home, they decide to milk the situation for all it is worth ( they are on over time ) by pretending to be still trapped when in reality they are in 'The Dogs' Dinner' pub..."

From here: "Remember Honky Stubbs"

More here The Cowboys...
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 8th Oct 2012 9:17pm
Well done for the research Chris!
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 11th Nov 2012 5:36pm
Hi I lived in 57 Ellon street only had a tin bath and outside loo which got frozen up in the winter if dad forgot to pit the lamp on in the night..my aunt Audrey and jack McKinley lived on the 7th floor in Elldon gardens and me and my sister use to go there every Sunday for a luxury bath them were the good old days
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 11th Nov 2012 9:00pm
Hi all. I worked for Ogdens, when they demolished Oak and Eldon,and did the drilling and burning,on the windows which can be seen in the photos. which enabled the way the buildings fell inwards...also did the drilling and laying of the charges but not laying the Cortex, the line or fuses,as it was too dangerouse,i believe...the actual explosive was useless on its own and useful for lighting the fire....When the buildings were blown I was stationed on the St lawrences junior school roof, to signal the area was clear...and was really surprised when the flats eventually were blown at the shock waves. near blowing me off my feet...the end of oak gardens refused to fall and Mick (the boss) had to go in and set the charges again as the cortex got severed by flying debris thus not allowing the charge to carry on,,,so it took two blasts to finish them off............I have some foties which have never been published so ill add them on here soon........Kind regards to all
Posted By: psibert Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Feb 2014 9:21pm
I was the police beat officer on duty the night before the flats were demolished. My understanding is that the reason part of the building did not collapse was that our inspector drove his car where he should not have done and broke some wires.

We had a number of problems in the weeks leading up to the big day with former residents breaking back in to grab souvenirs

I finished duty at 7am and hung around to watch the deed. I had worked out that there would be a lot of dust and so I stood upwind. Some were not so forward thinking and got hit by the cloud.

I think I am right in thinking that this was the first time in the UK that a block of flats had been blown up in this way.
Posted By: psibert Re: Demolition of Oak and Eldon Gardens - 26th Feb 2014 10:10pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
Ive just checked mate, you where nearly right n i was wrong!!!
They were blown on Sunday 30th September 1979!!!! Dont ask what bloody time tho!! LOL

About 9 or 10 am. I had just finished shift as the policeman on that beat. I hung around to watch the show before going home to bed!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral