Forums
Posted By: Ducko Gags Hill Fair - 24th Jul 2008 5:28pm
eney one else rember wallisis fair every summer on gags hill
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gags Hill Fair - 24th Jul 2008 6:45pm
Wallis's Fair rings a bell..... but where is/was Gag's Hill ???
Posted By: jonah Re: Gags Hill Fair - 25th Jul 2008 3:02am
any more info on this for the younger generation of wiki-wirralists......?
Posted By: Ducko Re: Gags Hill Fair - 25th Jul 2008 4:39pm
gags hill is at the bottom ov beaufort road and corpy road there r units built on there now and the custerdy suit all that area is gags hill
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Gags Hill Fair - 25th Jul 2008 9:04pm
Used to play on gags hill when i was a wee nipper but do not remember the fair i do remember Wallis comming to birkenhead park a few times but never gags hill... Intresting smile Gags hill at the momement is being ripped apart for new industrial units so happy smile
Posted By: jonah Re: Gags Hill Fair - 26th Jul 2008 2:40am
Originally Posted by Ducko
gags hill is at the bottom ov beaufort road and corpy road there r units built on there now and the custerdy suit all that area is gags hill

i got ya now, still never heard or seen the fair... is there any photographic evidence of the fair ?
Posted By: BirkenheadWendy Re: Gags Hill Fair - 26th Jul 2008 3:12pm
Hello,

I am someone who actually went to the Gaggs Hill fair, with my dad, when I was very young.

From my memory, it seemed to be travellers who brought the fair, so I think gypsies, but that could just be my impression.

They had all the usual rides expected and stalls where you could win prizes like coconuts (I know, how the prizes were sought after!!)

The hill is exactly where the previous submitter said, where the Police Custody Suite is sited today.
Posted By: bigalrobbo Re: Gags Hill Fair - 26th Sep 2008 1:50pm
I remember Gags Hill Fair, used to go every year from around 1964, very muddy when it rained. It was Wallis's fair,. Can anyone remember the fair that arrived every year at Moreton,used to be by the cafe?

AL ROBBO
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Gags Hill Fair - 23rd Aug 2009 3:32pm
Remember the fair and now and again a circus. Helped at the circus by humping bails of hay and cleaning up and then was told to do one when we went to get paid, b.....ds, we were only kids. Also remember in later years there was blue murder at the Pacific when there was some bother between the customers and the travellers. They came back with the grannies and everyone else all armed with cudgels, spanners, sticks, you name it. The lads in the Pacific did a runner, wisely. It was all long ago so can't rememeber what it was about but it caused gales of laughter in the retelling.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Gags Hill Fair - 23rd Aug 2009 3:49pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Remember the fair and now and again a circus. Helped at the circus by humping bails of hay and cleaning up and then was told to do one when we went to get paid, b.....ds, we were only kids. Also remember in later years there was blue murder at the Pacific when there was some bother between the customers and the travellers. They came back with the grannies and everyone else all armed with cudgels, spanners, sticks, you name it. The lads in the Pacific did a runner, wisely. It was all long ago so can't rememeber what it was about but it caused gales of laughter in the retelling.
lets hope somebody on here does! I wanna know. Lol
Posted By: nickynocky Re: Gags Hill Fair - 23rd Aug 2009 4:31pm
I won my first goldfish there.This was in a time long gone when you could keep them in a pint pot flower vase or any place you wanted.Posh cousin who had a bowl kept one alive for seven years.Ive just thought on what it"s name was "Goldie" anybody remmember it? I must have some relatives out there.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Gags Hill Fair - 17th Nov 2009 4:11pm
me went to gags hill fair with mates every year in the early 70s
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Gags Hill Fair - 17th Nov 2009 4:33pm
Before Gags Hill was cleared there used to be a scrappy there, and it was a big 'un too. The Beaufort end bit used to be swampy as well, with reeds and plenty of aquatic wild life there. Then they cleared the yard and sorted out the swamp or perhaps marsh, and then the fairs and circuses started coming up there.
Posted By: themoleofwirral Re: Gags Hill Fair - 7th Mar 2013 7:33pm
hello to you all. i spoke to an old veteran in work,who has since retired, who was in to his history. he said he was told when he was younger that it was know as gallaghers hill/gags hill, the public hanging gallery any more info would be appreciated as i drive past there every day. research bring's nothing up thanks
© Wirral-Wikiwirral