Forums
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 18th Jul 2008 7:22pm
anyone know where it got its name from? and any history about the place!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 21st Jul 2008 10:45pm
withthat think think think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 22nd Jul 2008 7:53am
Interested to hear of the Nanny Goat's Walk at Flaybrick. As a child, used to play on the Nanny Goat Mountains off Holm Lane, Prenton. These were in reality, mounds of soil/clay in the worked out parts of the Birkenhead Brick Works clay pit.(main entrance and kilns were in Woodchurch Rd.)

I always thought is was a unique term - obviously not!

So, as TRANSCENTRAL asks, where did the name come from ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 22nd Jul 2008 8:15am
Ive always known them as the "nanny goats"
only recently have i heard the kids call them the "nanny's" ?

I can only assume Goats would graze up there?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 22nd Jul 2008 11:34am
I have no idea where the name nanny goat came from but the path that's there now used to be known as lower flaybrick road or on some maps it is know as old flaybrick road. it used to lead right up to the catholic chapel entrance at the rear of flaybrick cemetery, there is also evidence of brickwork in the rock halfway up suggesting there may have been buildings. thumbsup
My mum was born in Naylor Road, Birkenhead North, which is near Flaybrick. She said that the rocky mounds just at the back of Naylor Road were known locally as the Nanny Goat Mountains and she climbed them as a child. It's funny that someone has said the same sort of thing about another place in Prenton. Perhaps it is a term used for a site that looks a bit like rocky mountains, but is merely a mound, adopted by locals around the Birkenhead area?? This one is a real puzzle in my book...LOL
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 17th Aug 2008 1:12pm
Yeah I've noticed the brick work in the rock, as a kid I thought it was a blocked up entrance into the St James hospital ground. As for the name though,all I have thought is that the rocky area may have been ground for mountain goats (Nanny goats) in the time when it was all fields and farmland there is no reason why it couldn't have been....just a thought
very good info thankyou
anyone out there with any photos or more storys on this?
Posted By: Icarus Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 23rd Oct 2010 10:37pm
Long before the old Fever hospital was built ontop of "the Nanny Goats" the area from behind Claughton village going up towards Bidston Hill was mainly free land where anyone could allow the animals to graze including sheep and goats ...the book Auld Lang Syne mentions about the land ...so it doesn't take much stretch of one's imagination to see the connection.

I remember as a 10 year old climbing half-way up on one of the vertical faces that had hand and footholes dug into the sandstone and suddenly finding that I couldn't stretch far enough to reach the next handhold ....and couldn't find the previous foothold ....I was trapped ..I couldn't go up or down I clung to the rock-face for what seemed an eternity ...my little legs and arms began to tremble with fatigue...tears began filling my eyes at the thought of my small broken body lying at the base of the rocks ....images of my little Mum holding my lifeless form were all I could think of .....and then it happened ....my arm grew another 3-inches instantaneously...or so it seemed ....I reached out for the next handhold above and pulled myself up to the top ...I lay on my back looking up at the sky ...fully believing that a miracle had just occurred ...too this day I still have one arm 3-inches longer than the other.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 24th Oct 2010 12:38pm
Nice story Icarus, but with that name, why didn't you just fly up? think

Cheers, Chris.

BTW, USA is a large place; give us a clue.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 24th Oct 2010 9:42pm
Originally Posted by Icarus
I remember as a 10 year old climbing half-way up on one of the vertical faces that had hand and footholes dug into the sandstone and suddenly finding that I couldn't stretch far enough to reach the next handhold ....and couldn't find the previous foothold ....I was trapped ..I couldn't go up or down I clung to the rock-face for what seemed an eternity ...my little legs and arms began to tremble with fatigue...tears began filling my eyes at the thought of my small broken body lying at the base of the rocks ....images of my little Mum holding my lifeless form were all I could think of .....and then it happened ....my arm grew another 3-inches instantaneously...or so it seemed ....I reached out for the next handhold above and pulled myself up to the top ...I lay on my back looking up at the sky ...fully believing that a miracle had just occurred ...too this day I still have one arm 3-inches longer than the other.

Love that story Icarus - the very same thing happened to me on the cliffs at Thurstaston. I remember being half way down and half way up holding onto a clump of grass for dear life thinking 'Oh dear' I somehow found the strength to get back up. I think I was about 9.
Same here at the quarry at the back of the Arno, its weird as a kid suddenly realising you are mortal after all - but then you survive and the immortality soon returns.

Then there was the roof ladder that broke when I was half way up it ........
Posted By: Icarus Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 11th Dec 2010 4:40am
Coz Chris ....last time I flew up anywhere ...me little wings melted .....you silly person .
Posted By: Icarus Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 11th Dec 2010 5:09am
Yes.... what really is strange, is that by the following day or two you are back to believing you are that fearless spunky kid that will never be harmed or injured .....and so you go ahead pushing ever outwards that envelope called "chance" .....but thank God ....we are still around to talk about these things ....mind you , some of those moments have been really scary ones ...no wonder my little Mum had so many grey hairs on her head ....guess I contributed to most of them ....no doubt just like you .
Posted By: Bagpuss Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 26th Mar 2012 6:54pm
Originally Posted by BirkenheadWendy
My mum was born in Naylor Road, Birkenhead North, which is near Flaybrick. She said that the rocky mounds just at the back of Naylor Road were known locally as the Nanny Goat Mountains and she climbed them as a child. It's funny that someone has said the same sort of thing about another place in Prenton. Perhaps it is a term used for a site that looks a bit like rocky mountains, but is merely a mound, adopted by locals around the Birkenhead area?? This one is a real puzzle in my book...LOL

My back garden used to back onto the nanny goat mountains, I lived in mercer road at the time and i used to climb them when I was a child. (:
Posted By: jimbob Re: Where did the name Nanny Goats come from? - 26th Mar 2012 9:39pm
All the climbing and things us older ones got up to as kids, and just think that these days the dangers the modern kids face is getting a finger stuck on there play station buttons or not been able to find there Ipod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral