Forums
Posted By: dave_g Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 25th Mar 2008 2:32am
does any1 remember the old railway sheds off argyle street my dad took me there in the 80 s an he remembered bein there as a boy in the 60s
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 25th Mar 2008 5:49am
your talking about Mollignton Street see the two pics for a view

Description: mollington st 2004
Attached picture 5-Mollington-Street-2004.jpg
Attached picture 40082-126-185-07.01.83.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 25th Mar 2008 10:21am
Yes, I remember Mollington St. sheds well. Sometimes used to get a footplate ride from Woodside to the sheds, then be given a handful of cotton waste & something to polish. An idea of the extent can be got from this map.

Cheers, Chris

Attached picture map1 small.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 30th Mar 2008 4:44pm
Which can be found here Click Me

google
Posted By: dave_g Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 5th Apr 2008 3:14am
me dad was on the last freight train from the docks (brake van)but got interestin the most famous buffet car in the world.
Posted By: dave_g Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 5th Apr 2008 3:16am
THE BERWYN TUNNEL...
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 6:05pm
31/12/1966 mollington st. more to follow

Attached picture mollington1.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 6:14pm
these are dumped in the coal yard next to the shed where the industrial estate is now. argyle st. is in the background. 23/4/66

Attached picture mollington2.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 6:16pm
thanks joe, know what to do now, when scanning anyway
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 6:19pm
no problem.

Quality pictures mate, any more?
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 7:08pm
obviously this is woodside, my dad is one of the three heads leaning out of the first window

Attached picture woodside.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 7:23pm
heres an old one, other side to follow

Attached picture merseyrailway1.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 7:26pm
part 2, check out the date, its very delicate and am scared to handle it really. (the leaflet)

Attached picture merseyrailway2.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 7:45pm
try again

Attached picture merseyrailway2.jpg
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Jun 2008 7:50pm
slightly off topic, this is rock ferry c1900, note the canopy being built. scanned from an original

Attached picture rockferry.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 25th Jun 2008 8:17am
Originally Posted by rentaclown100
slightly off topic, this is rock ferry c1900, note the canopy being built. scanned from an original

Interesting to note that this is a Mersey Railway loco, with the condenser system, designed to minimise steam in the tunnels, apparently not very successfully. The line was extended from Green Lane to Rock Ferry in 1891. You have some fine pics. there, rentaclown.
Like your Cheap Day Ticket leaflet too. I wonder why the difference in fares between Central & James St. is sometimes nothing, sometimes 1 or 2 pence.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 12th Nov 2009 12:54pm
If you have been following the 'Woodside Station' thread (see Woodside Station )here on WikiWirral, you will know that I have a number of railway related photographs taken by a mate of mine in the Birkenhead area in the late 1960's. They have never been seen elsewhere, so this a 'premiere', so to speak.

Some are of Mollington Street MPD, and I thought it would be good if I shared them here - my mate has no objections, so thanks to him. happy They were all taken on a primitive 'pre-box brownie', so the quality isn't fantastic, but I think they show quite nicely some of the atmosphere of those days.
I'll put them up in batches, as and when.

First of all are some 'Panoramic' views...

Cheers,
Billy.
happy

Description: Looking across the ash plants - note the elevated signal box.
Attached picture 8H - Panorama[1].JPG

Description: The coaling Plant and general clutter of the yard. Gas works in the background.
Attached picture 8H - Panorama[2].JPG

Description: Overall view of the Shed yard - EE Type 4 (later Class 40) and 9F 2-10-0's on view. 1967.
Attached picture 8H - Panorama[3].JPG
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 12th Nov 2009 7:37pm
heres some more views

Attached picture scan1.jpg
Attached picture scan2.jpg
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 19th Nov 2009 12:40pm
Thanks 8HBob - some great shots there. Thought it's about time I put some more up.

Cheers,
Billy. happy

Description: 8F hauled freight, looking towards Green Lane. This is where the shed tracks joined the main lines.
Attached picture 8H - Panorama[4].JPG
Attached picture 8H - Panorama[5].JPG

Description: May 1967.
Attached picture 8H-May67[1].JPG

Description: Another in May 1967.
Attached picture 8H-May67[2].JPG
Posted By: kimpri Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 19th Nov 2009 2:15pm
great pictures,2nd picture down shows scrap yard green lane, smile I can tell you the owners name. smile
Posted By: bri445 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 19th Nov 2009 7:07pm
The coal smoke smell was pretty powerfull in that area, with the gas works as well!
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 19th Nov 2009 7:31pm
That smell from the gasworks was pretty pungent, especially when you went on the gasworks side of the shed.

Bob.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 20th Nov 2009 6:28pm
The 9F loco on the left of the bottom photo is a Crosti boilered 9F, it was supposed to be a better steaming design.

David Shepherds preserved 9F ( 92203 ) came from Birkenhead depot.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 26th Nov 2009 12:44pm
Here's the last of the photo's my mate took in 1967 at the shed - the next lot will be down at the docks (and on a different thread).

Cheers,
Billy.

happy

Description: 2 Class 9F's
Attached picture 2xClass9's-July 1967.JPG

Description: A line of locos - the nearest one facing the camera is Stanier 4MT 42647. July 1967.
Attached picture 42647-July 1967.JPG

Description: Black 5 44844 on the main line passing the shed enterance. October 1967.
Attached picture 44844-October1967.JPG

Description: Standard Class 5MT 'Class leader' no 7300 in July 1967. Note the hand painted smokebox number.
Attached picture 73000-July 1967[1].JPG
Posted By: bri445 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 26th Nov 2009 1:17pm
The Steam Age! Hear and smell the action in that '2 Class 9Fs' photo!
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 12th Aug 2010 8:26pm
I used to have to go to Mollington Street sheds to do maintenance on a lot of the equipment in the steam days. The ash plants and the coaling plant. The ash plant used to take the ash after it had been dropped from the steam train into a pit. It was then lifted in ahuge bucket up to the hopper inside the ash plant. then when full a wagon would be brought underneath and the ash would be dropped into it and taken away.

The coaling plant filled up the steam train tender with coal. The hopper was filled froma coal wagon that was lifted on a platform and it's contents dumped into the hopper. When either of these plants broke down I would be one of those who went to fix it. I also worked on much of the water services including the two water tanks that were there.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 24th Mar 2011 12:37pm
Found this diagram dated 1944 of Mollington St sheds, and thought it would complement Chriskay's map on page 1 of the thread.
Not the greatest of scans, and might have to zoom in for the details, but possibly of interest?
Cheers.

Attached picture MollingtonStPlan6C.JPG
Posted By: boyoboy Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 9th Apr 2011 10:40pm
some very fond memories looking at these photos, i was a driver on the steam and diesel tractions at mollington street and was also a fireman at bidston shed where i started in 1951
eventually ending up on the merseyrail underground.
sadly we will never see the like again
Posted By: TheCrab Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 18th Apr 2012 2:47pm
I wonder if you can help me boyoboy. When I was very young I'm pretty sure that I saw a GC 04 2-8-0 on a John Summers ore train at Bidston dock (they were usually 8Fs at that time.) I haven't had contact with anyone else who saw one so doubt my memory. Were you at Bidston in the period 1955-60? Did you see such a thing?
Posted By: bigpete Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 6th Jun 2012 2:54pm
Originally Posted by TheCrab
I wonder if you can help me boyoboy. When I was very young I'm pretty sure that I saw a GC 04 2-8-0 on a John Summers ore train at Bidston dock (they were usually 8Fs at that time.) I haven't had contact with anyone else who saw one so doubt my memory. Were you at Bidston in the period 1955-60? Did you see such a thing?

The GCR locos were quite frequent visitors - but not usually used on the John Summers run - which was normally run by Bidston allocated locos at this time - as you suspect 8Fs - but replaced by 9Fs by the late 50's.

The loaded John Summers trains were the heaviest unbraked trains on BR (no vacuum/air braking) and the Brush class 47 diesels that took over at the end of steam were not up to the job braking wise..!
Posted By: bigpete Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 6th Jun 2012 3:38pm
Billy's plan show some of the improvements driven by war requirements - a new 70 foot turntable big enough for any loco and tender and the old LMS and GWR coaling sheds being dismantled - to be replaced by the concrete coaling and ash (2) plants and the large water tank seen in the scrapyard pic. new ashpits next to the Hinderton road coalyard replacing a small turntable and extra roads put in between the Gasworks and shed side where the old GWR turntable had been.

The plan also shows the cutback roof of the old LNW/LMS side - previously it was exactly the same size as the GWR side.
Posted By: TheCrab Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 12th Jun 2012 4:47pm
Originally Posted by bigpete

The GCR locos were quite frequent visitors - but not usually used on the John Summers run - which was normally run by Bidston allocated locos at this time - as you suspect 8Fs - but replaced by 9Fs by the late 50's.

The loaded John Summers trains were the heaviest unbraked trains on BR (no vacuum/air braking) and the Brush class 47 diesels that took over at the end of steam were not up to the job braking wise..!

I was told by a fitter at the shed that on one of the early trials of the 47s the brake gear suffered serious damage caused by it's efforts to stop. If I remember correctly 8Fs did turn up occasionally right up to the end of '66 and possibly early '67.

You confirm that use of the O4s would be unusual but has anyone any idea just how unusual?
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 12th Jun 2012 5:26pm
Originally Posted by bigpete

I was told by a fitter at the shed that on one of the early trials of the 47s the brake gear suffered serious damage caused by it's efforts to stop. If I remember correctly 8Fs did turn up occasionally right up to the end of '66 and possibly early '67.

You confirm that use of the O4s would be unusual but has anyone any idea just how unusual?

The 47's also apparently had trouble with loose tyres, obviously caused by having to brake a heavy train on downhill gradients & with none of the wagons, except the guard's van, having any form of braking.The 9F's should have been kept longer, many of them being less than 10 years old when scrapped.

Bob.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 19th Jul 2012 3:20pm
To confirm - Bidston Shed still retained some 8F locos after the 9Fs were given the Summers run - so they would be back-up, with the 04 being very rare, if at all on that run....
Posted By: georgetheking Re: Mollington St. sheds - Train Sheds - 18th Sep 2012 1:21pm
Hahaha I can remember going there with a pram to get some coal; we used to make a hole in the fencing and we helped ourselves.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral