Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 12:18am
I've heard that this building on Laird Street used to be a Fire Station.

Anyone have any information, pictures or stories?

Cheers

Attached picture 1.JPG
Attached picture 2.JPG
Attached picture 3.JPG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 3:14am
Looks like it could well be one, I will have a look for references to it as I have a few books on the fire brigrade at home, think they are mainly the Wallasey brigade though.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 11:14am
That building used to be the turntable youth club its never been a fire station happy
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 5:25pm
wasnt it the roundabout youth club confused
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 7:17pm
I have heard reference to a Fire Station maybe its a myth.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 7:34pm
Nope jonno turntable happy
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 7:37pm
think it might have been that i was from wallasey and thats what we used to call it as it was on the roundabout.lol but it is called the roundabout now or at least thats what it says above the door :>
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 13th Mar 2008 7:38pm
I also remember there being some sort of yts scheme in there at some point ,i had to go there for an interview in my past life as a teenager ,,lol
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 3:23pm
Joe this was a fire station.
Or it was until at least 1957.

Its thought its demise was the new one in Birkenhead (Charing Cross).
In its day this "Was" the Main Fire Station for Birkenhead and
surrounding area's.

It also doubled as a First aid place?
If you had a cut or a fall back then (1957) you would call in to
the fire station for first aid. Back then an Ambulance was very rare. So anyone with an injury would hobble along to the station and if it needed more attention, would take you either;

in the Fire Engine, or a Red Van or something else i cant remember what, but anyway, if you were a child you would be
taken to Birkenhead Children's Hospital off Woodchurch Rd.

The information is from my super sleuth Mr Burgess,
who has to put up with me asking all the questions lol..

So yep it was a Fire Station and a Main on at that wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 4:46pm
Lordy me, Mark; you make it sound as if 1957 was in the dark ages. Go to the fire station with an injury? More likely you'd go to one of the many hospitals which existed in those days (& all with an A&E department).

I remember when the main fire station was on the corner of Whetstone Lane & Borough Rd. Anybody remember when that was moved (I think there's a Lidl/Netto/Aldi there now).

Children's Hospital off Church Rd? when did that happen? I recall it being on Woodchurch Rd., between Mount Grove & Brattan Rd., almost opposite the ruined church at the top of Oxton Rd. that there's been a thread about recently. There was a picture of it posted recently, heavily sandbagged.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Mark Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 5:01pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Lordy me, Mark; you make it sound as if 1957 was in the dark ages. Go to the fire station with an injury? More likely you'd go to one of the many hospitals which existed in those days (& all with an A&E department).

Well that's the info ive been given, For the Birkenhead Fire Station in the Pictures.
Not sure where the nearest hospital would have been.
Updated the name of the road Church road to Woodchurch Rd smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 5:20pm
I guess the nearest hospitals to that area would have been the General, on Conway St., near the park entrance, or the fever hospital at Flaybrick. (I actually think your info. is probably correct; I'm sure the firemen would be trained in First Aid).

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 8:40pm
I didn't know the Fire Station used to be where Netto is today??

Don't worry Chris, the Children's Hospital is still on Woodchurch Road....

Only now it's the Wirral Christian Centre Care Home

Attached picture P1080146.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 9:58pm
The Fire Station at Whetstone Lane/Borough Road got the chop in 1972 I think. Moved to new building in Exmouth Street. Presume it's still there ? I went for an interview in 1971 to Whetstone Ln. Wanted to become a Fireman. Had a full beard at the time. Some jumped-up geezer at the interview said "That'll have to come off - you can't use a BA set with that on". Cheerio says me and walked out of the interview.

I digress !
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 10:03pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Moved to new building in Exmouth Street. Presume it's still there ?

Yeah, It's still there together with the Ambulance station around the back.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Mar 2008 11:21pm
Cool it was a fire station back in its day.. Fantastic hehe..
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 29th Mar 2008 10:22am
I've seen cinefilm of the old fire station on Laird street, my mother had one of those cameras and filmed outside my grandparents house from the upstairs window in laird street nearly opposite the firestation, that was about 1972.
Definitely was a fire station. The surrounding houses were fire station houses and there was a big yard at the back with a drill tower. I lived in one of the houses and dad was a fireman in the station. It became the turntable youth club 'cos of the name of the big fire engine, a turntable ladder.
Back in the 50's the local authority ran both the fire brigade and the ambulance so that one day they might man the fire engine, the next day they might man the ambulance......and so its true, I remember people pitching up for first aid. It closed when the new station opened on the then woodchurch estate
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 7th Mar 2009 10:10pm
The Exmouth St fire station was opened in March 1973. The Woodchurch Fire station in Arrowe Park rd was opened in May 1962.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 7th Mar 2009 10:12pm
why is it a lot of the members seem to think that the 1950s or there about was in the dark ages. Yes as you have now found out that was a fire station by St James Church, and if you go and look at the similar building at Liscard you may realize that there was also a fire station there as well. As far as been hurt and needing first aid, you only went to a hospital if you where almost dead, not like these days running to A&e with a wet nose. you where taken to the nearest chemists shop or doctors surgery to be sorted out.
Posted By: Derby Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 5th Apr 2009 5:54pm
There certainly was a fire station at Laird Street, I lived there from birth to 1950 when my Dad was pensioned off as he was badly gassed at a fire. We lived at number 6 and then in number 8 which had the drill tower right in front of it. I have modern day photos of it but none from when it was a fire station. I have photos of Dad and the men, a few of fire engines but none of the station itself. Would love to hear from anyone who can give me some information on where to find material/photos of it.
Derby
Posted By: Derby Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 5th Apr 2009 8:20pm
Hi Skipperuk,

When did you live at the fire station. My family lived there in the 1940`s and we moved about 1951. Do you have any photos of the firemen, I do if you are interested. Maybe I should put them on this site.

Derby
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 5th Apr 2009 8:30pm
Originally Posted by Derby
Maybe I should put them on this site.

yes yes please
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 20th Feb 2011 3:22pm
This was still a fire station in 1967 we used to pass it twice a week on our way to the tunnel to go to and from Glossop in Derbyshire
If anyone can convert vhs to digital format I could put on here about 10 to 15 seconds of film from the top of 358 laird street from the early 70's. It shows the old fire station, as I think my mum was filming my dad parking his car outside a proprty on laird street.
Here is a very short clip I've taken out of a 17 min film from the early to mid 70's, hopefully it works. It is not much but every little bit counts. smile

[youtube]zFqULf7nqIA[/youtube]
Posted By: Mogzie Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 26th Apr 2011 4:31pm
In the 1960s I used to live in Upper Brassey Street, just round the corner. This place was then, a youth club called the Turntable. The chap who used to run the centre lived in the adjoining house to the left of the entrance. He was a very tall 6foot3, slim chap and if my memory serves me right he was called Mr Gould. I actually watched England win the World Cup inside that building in 1966, when I was 15. I do believe that the building WAS a fire station but that was before I moved close by.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 26th Apr 2011 5:23pm
I remember the turney in the early 80s best disco ever
Posted By: Razzi Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 27th Apr 2011 8:06am
Indeed it was the best ever. Canary Yellow polo neck jumper bottle green birmingham bags and a nice pair of green and red wedgies and off to the turnie. This was the mid seventies so i'd guess it was a youthclub for a long long while. Shame it's gone, the kids of the area have nothing now
Wasn't the turntable in a building on the corner where tapestry gardens is now? Or did they have more than one building?
Posted By: bigpete Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 3rd May 2011 1:00pm
Don't think so - there was a council 'centre' called the 'roundabout' at no. 2 St James Road - which was on the corner next to the turntable centre on the St James Roundabout itself... - been there a few times for 'family therapy' as it was called...!
Posted By: birket Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 25th Sep 2011 2:44pm
IT WAS A FIRE STATION BEFOR IT WAS A YOUTH CLUB
the building in laird street definitely was a fire station in the late 1950,s, as if there was any gang fights in the square or around the firemen used to hose the troublemakers down to stop the fighting, i saw this happen as i lived in the square.
Posted By: maureenp Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 28th Nov 2011 4:27pm
Yes it was a Fire Station, I lived not far from it in the 5o's
Posted By: chuck Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 17th Apr 2012 12:08pm
Yes it was a fire station, I lived just up the road (Laird St). If we ever hurt ourself the first place we were taken by our mothers was there. All the firemen were firstaiders. Around 1954
Posted By: kimpri Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 26th Sep 2012 10:12pm
1927 - North end sub -station opened on Laird St,
2-bays and 8 Brigade houses.

Attached picture Birkenhead---1927-Pump-CM-532.jpg
Posted By: Icarus Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 29th Oct 2012 6:18pm
Then you may possibly remember these families that lived in the 8-semi's that belonged to the Fire service
Broster's
Hannah's
Oram's
Wharton's
Bucklie's
Middleton's
Bradley's
Upton's
Posted By: teeslad Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 20th Mar 2013 8:50pm
hi this was the local firestation when i was a kid in the 50s if you look over the main door you can still see where a big brass bell hung in the alcove box . there where two engines and the houses to the left of the station were firemens houses!and yes they did fix you up if you were injured , as a kid about 7 an old wooden gate fell on me and the large nails on the frame went into the top of my leg , my mum took me to the firestation and got a tetanus jab , iodine painted on it and bandages done by the old fireman.
Posted By: Derby Re: Birkenhead North/Laird Street Fire Station? - 30th Dec 2021 3:32pm
Does anyone know what model fire engines were used there? what turntable?

Icarus. I don't remember any of the people as I left there when I was about 5 years old. I do remember that the Bucklies were family friends for many years.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral