Forums
Posted By: placidmaster Gautby Road Area - 24th Feb 2008 10:20pm
we have mentioned many things in this area, one question i have tho is, was there a bowling green on the area what is now park hampers, apparently the oldest g aunt of mine left the youngest g aunt (her sis) all by herself down there and when my nan (the oldest of them all) found out she had to be restrained from kicking her all the way down there to find the youngest!!! I may be wrong as to location but a vauge memory tells me the model yaught/park hampers area
Posted By: Mark Re: Gautby Road Area - 25th Feb 2008 8:31pm
No idea, i can tell you that there is a pond
where geese and model boat enthusiasts use.

A Bowling green i'm not sure at all,
will do some asking about...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Gautby Road Area - 25th Feb 2008 10:23pm
Is the pool still there? My dad used to build model yachts & we sometimes used to go there, but more often to Port Sunlight. My dad was a craftsman carpenter; almost a cabinet maker. Before he married, he went to sea as a ship's carpenter, then he served his time with Laird's as a shipwright. For most of his life he worked at Laird's as a liner-off. Anyone prepared to guess what that was?

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Brocks Re: Gautby Road Area - 25th Feb 2008 11:29pm
My dad used to do the same. I took him last year and Gautby road was still there and still in use.
Posted By: Mark Re: Gautby Road Area - 25th Feb 2008 11:39pm
Will get a picture for you Guys wink
The pond and the club is in a lot better condition now smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Gautby Road Area - 27th Feb 2008 9:26pm
This picture is looking Down Gautby Road,
with the Train Station Birkenhead North Behind me.

[Linked Image]

This image is from the Bend in Gautby Road where Valley Road
once was an open road, but now closed off. Looking back
towards Birkenhead North Train Station.

[Linked Image]

Now Turning the other way looking up towards Hoylake Road.

[Linked Image]

There seem to be some community Buildings with "Free Internet Access" smile

[Linked Image]

And Opposite those buildings you have the "Pond" which is more
of a Boating pond / lake for model boats.

[Linked Image]

A little further up from the Community Buildings is a Play Park.

[Linked Image]

And Finally looking up towards Hoylake Road..

[Linked Image]

-------------------------
The Boating Lake Off Gautby Road.

[Linked Image]

But Somthings Never change, it may not be a shopping Trolley,
But its still been dumped in the lake, (Its a Plastic Kiddies Motor Bike)
[Linked Image]

Now can anyone tell me what the hell this is?
Its in the middle of the grass next to the lake think (No Stupid Guesses Please.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 5:44pm
them comunity buildings was a youth club when i was a kid visiting and it was a touch rough, so rough infact that the felt on the pool table left one day never to return
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 5:52pm
Asked father.. that pole in the middle of no where, he's sure it used to be a flag pole for the yotching lake flag, the building was for the members of the boat club. Also he said where that pole is there used to be a smaller lake for testing the boats before you put them onto the big pond.. he's not 100% sure (his memory isnt as good as it once was, bless lol) but he think he remembers correctly smile

And he's just informed me that if it wasnt a flag pole it was a wind indicator so that the people would know what direction the wind was blowing that day
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 5:53pm
was there a bowling green nearby??
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 5:54pm
the old flag pole??
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 5:55pm
He said he cant remember any bowling green near there, he can only remember the one at Birkenhead park

Oh ok.. this man needs his brain checking lol

He can remember when you walked past the lake, keeping it on your right, there was grass just after it but he cant remember what it was used for.. so chances are it was a bowling green smile
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 6:01pm
that could be it, my Great aunt left her sister there as kids and my nan who ran the house kicked her all the way back there to find her lol, and i am guessing from what i was told by my aunt years ago is it was in this area
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gautby Road Area - 2nd Mar 2008 6:03pm
there was 5 or six or them originally from the illy road area from the womb of Nana Anson (great) who died when i was about 4 (30 now) and some stayed round the aves and the ford, one still lived on hoylake road when i last spoke with them, about 8 years ago
Posted By: nodding2 Re: Gautby Road Area - 31st Oct 2009 12:29am
there use to be a worn out painted track for radio controlled cars used it as a kid ,but don`t remember that being there
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Gautby Road Area - 31st Oct 2009 9:52am
There were football pitches very adjacent to the yachting lake. The schools used to use them and also Ameteur teams. I remember the Shamrock used to play their games up there, long trousers tucked into their football socks, no footy strips, and magic sponges with a bucket of water for injuries. It used to smell of some medical stuff as well, can't remember the name of it but it was very pungent. Some sort of linament probably.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Gautby Road Area - 31st Oct 2009 10:02am
That was Valley Rd Football pitches.I use to play there for the school.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Gautby Road Area - 31st Oct 2009 1:29pm
Me too bert, but I didn't want to boast about being an athlete.
Posted By: nodding2 Re: Gautby Road Area - 31st Oct 2009 2:05pm
flag pole being a sailing club
Posted By: mowgli Re: Gautby Road Area - 1st Nov 2009 5:39pm
The large lake was for members of the Model Yacht Club, the smaller lake which was in front was for the use of the general public.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Nov 2009 8:07am
I can remember fishing for jack sharps with bit of cotton and a worm,They had to clean the big lake out too meny fish in it plus the rubbish,
tipper truck took the fish away two loads, there was great big mound of them in little lake,that never got used by anyone.
so it got filled in.
no bowling greens as far as i can remember, back in 1965/66. happy
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Nov 2009 9:13am
i heard there was a social club in that area probably for workers in Valley Road and for the avenues, it wouldnt be uncommon for a social club to be built for the residents of 3 large avenues. Any info would be good. smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Nov 2009 10:39am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
There were football pitches very adjacent to the yachting lake. The schools used to use them and also Ameteur teams. I remember the Shamrock used to play their games up there, long trousers tucked into their football socks, no footy strips, and magic sponges with a bucket of water for injuries. It used to smell of some medical stuff as well, can't remember the name of it but it was very pungent. Some sort of linament probably.

I think it was horse linament and we used to put it on our legs before playing when we played in really cold weather as it gave your legs a burning sensation
They still have the magic buckets of cold water and sponges today for injuries
played against the Rose and Shamrock on the Rec in the 60s
I think we wore short shorts then
Mersey Royal who operated from the Blood Tub used to play on the pitches by Gautby Rd

You must be really getting on BANDICOOT (must be one of the oldest active contributing to wiki posters)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Nov 2009 10:43am
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
i heard there was a social club in that area probably for workers in Valley Road and for the avenues, it wouldnt be uncommon for a social club to be built for the residents of 3 large avenues. Any info would be good. smile

I'm scraping the memory banks now, i think it was the Valley Rd Dockers club, I think i went there a couple of times, but can't quite remember for sure, if that was its name.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Nov 2009 11:06am

was a club behind the biddy pub might still be there the building that is in school grounds.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Nov 2009 9:08pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Originally Posted by BandyCoot

I think it was horse linament and we used to put it on our legs before playing when we played in really cold weather as it gave your legs a burning sensation
They still have the magic buckets of cold water and sponges today for injuries
played against the Rose and Shamrock on the Rec in the 60s
I think we wore short shorts then
Mersey Royal who operated from the Blood Tub used to play on the pitches by Gautby Rd

You must be really getting on BANDICOOT (must be one of the oldest active contributing to wiki posters)

It was Horse liniment, its real name was Royal Embrocation and had a picture of a horse on the box the bottle came in, It was a white liquid and was used to keep the muscles supple and also for an injury rub similar to Fiery jack.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Gautby Road Area - 26th Nov 2009 10:37am
Originally Posted by bert1

I'm scraping the memory banks now, i think it was the Valley Rd Dockers club, I think i went there a couple of times, but can't quite remember for sure, if that was its name.

Had a word with someone and it was the Dockers Club in Valley Rd, it was THe Blue Union dockers club.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Gautby Road Area - 26th Nov 2009 12:01pm
Ah great stuff, I can only imagine what it looked like situated wherever it was by Valley Road.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gautby Road Area - 26th Nov 2009 9:30pm
Had a word with someone and it was the Dockers Club in Valley Rd, it was THe Blue Union dockers club.

Thanks for that Bert, it had to have the word "Blue" in it for you to get involved!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Gautby Road Area - 26th Nov 2009 10:06pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Thanks for that Bert, it had to have the word "Blue" in it for you to get involved!

Well i am an Evertonian yes
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Gautby Road Area - 27th Nov 2009 9:34am
My Grandma lived down there. I'm sure she she talked about bowling greens when she was young... would be in the 40s...
I'll ask her at the weekend if I remember!
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Gautby Road Area - 4th Oct 2011 7:48pm
There were 2 bowling greens. They were at the end of Hurrel Road, behind Mason Avenue. One on either side of the road. Behind that was just fields that became Valley Road after Valley Road was extended. The Dockers club was at the end of the unexteded Valley Road next to Dunlops.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Gautby Road Area - 4th Oct 2011 7:55pm
Hello Raymondoj I remember the dockers club We used to go there on a friday night .Don`t remember much though i had to be home by 9.00pm Very stricked dad
Posted By: goodwin Re: Gautby Road Area - 5th Oct 2011 1:52pm
At the back of the bowling greens to the right hand side looking down Hurrell Road was a set of allotments that we used to raid as kids for potatoes for the bonfire
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Gautby Road Area - 5th Oct 2011 3:22pm
On the left hand side bowling greens there was what we called the back field and there were the remains of swings and a maypole. I have no idea when they were originally built but they were dilapidated for as long as I can remember and that's going back to the late 40s.
Posted By: bart63 Re: Gautby Road Area - 15th Sep 2012 10:07pm
Hi i am also looking for info on the dockers club valley road used to go to the christmass partys and my dad used to mark the football pitches there.

i am also intrested in the bowling greens as my dad was greens man there.

I lived in mason ave the bowling green was on the left of the path that went from gautby road to the dockers club on the right of the path where alloments then the boating lake.

Good times.
Posted By: Bidstonbird Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Feb 2021 12:55pm
There definitely was a smaller lake Aswell I was born in 1982 and remember it clear as day having a big lake and smaller one, also at the far end of the big lake there was a field with a huge tall m shaped climbing frame a tall side and a rocket climbing frame, I lived in the avenues so was always down there. 😊
Posted By: Bidstonbird Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Feb 2021 12:58pm
There definitely was a smaller lake Aswell I was born in 1981 and remember it clear as day having a big lake and smaller one, also at the far end of the big lake there was a field with a huge tall m shaped climbing frame a tall side and a rocket climbing frame, I lived in the avenues so was always down there. 😊
Posted By: Bidstonbird Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Feb 2021 12:59pm
Also where the tennis center is now and tesco that used to be sports fields and greens, valley Road playing fields,
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Gautby Road Area - 7th Feb 2021 2:20pm
The smaller lake was rectangular and the post that was in the middle of the smaller lake is still there today, possibly it was for a flag pole.
I remember the rocket climbing frame and a domed one, like a large igloo.
Tesco is where Bidston Steel used to be which was behind the playing fields.
When were you born, 81 or 82? wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral