Forums
Posted By: philmch Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 4:45pm
Anyone know if it's still there ? Been quite a while since I went along the coastal path but I'm sure some of it was still visible in the last 20 years.

There's a bit about it at:
http://www.merseysideviews.com/Wirral%20Views/Meols/index.htm
and scan through the photos.

The story I've heard is that it's the remains of a prehistoric forest which once covered Wirral.
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 4:48pm
In the Victorian times Meols was still a farming community although a few houses built by the gentry had made their appearance. The village was without a church or a school; the villagers walked to the parish church at Hoylake and their children attended Hoylake National School in School Lane. In spite of its small population Meols boasted three fully licensed inns and and an ale house.
After the First World War Meols began to lose its rural charm as local building firms began to construct new roads and houses. As the community grew shops were built by the railway station. For many years Meols market gardens supplied produce to local shops and Birkenhead market.
Posted By: Mark Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 6:18pm
I think matty knows a little about this as i'm sure he has talked to me about it.

Very Interesting.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 9:23pm
Yep, it's true, my uncle has witnessed it, and last year, me and my auntie were walking her dog down by Leasowe Lighthouse, and someone asked if we knew whereabouts it was (a couple of tourist's from Australia or S.Africa).

At the time we didnt have a clue, as we hadnt heard of it, but she mentioned it to my uncle and he has seen it.

I think you can see the stump's of tree's or something, and you can only see it at certain times, its visable when the sea has been really rough and moved enough sand away iirc.

Ive never seen it myself and have no idea exactly where it is, but you can be sure that should I ever see it, ill get a photo of it, be it on my camera or my phone.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 9:25pm
Ah just re-checked the link and found the photos. Its a shame there are no newer ones.

smile
Posted By: philmch Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 10:01pm
I've definitely seen it but not for about 10 years. I think the remaining section is closer to Leasowe. There were just a few remaining black stumps.

The old photos begin here. Sorry for inaccuracy of earlier link.
http://www.merseysideviews.com/Wirral%20Views/Meols/pages/Mls%2015.htm
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 14th Jan 2008 10:04pm
I dunno when my uncle saw it, it probably wasnt too long ago, but possibly not for a good few years tbh.

Will be interesting to know if anyone has seen it in recent years.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 15th Jan 2008 6:29pm
Is this another adventure in my wellies ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 15th Jan 2008 6:31pm
Can anyone do a google overhead map to show where it should be?

And why the "petrified" Forrest ?
Posted By: philmch Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 15th Jan 2008 7:14pm
At a rough guess I'd say it's close to:
53, 24', 41.93" N
03, 08' 31.44" W

If you look down the embankment onto the beach at low tide it'll be *somewhere* along there.

Petrified basically means frozen. A bit of a misnomer really. Expect to see dark soggy stumps sticking up out of the sand to the height of a couple of inches at best.
Posted By: philmch Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 15th Jan 2008 7:26pm
Just found this at:
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/LGCL/100006/200073/670/content_0001019.html

"The park has a more ancient history going back at least 5000 years when the area was forested, including parts of what is now foreshore. The remains of these trees, known as the submerged forest, can occasionally be seen at Dove Point, Meols, between the slipway and the groyne. The area was inhabited by stone-age people at that time and the remains of their houses have been found on the beach. "
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 15th Jan 2008 8:27pm
Im gonna be going for a scouting mission pretty soon I think...

smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Mar 2008 10:06pm
By heck that brings back a memory. I remember being taken to see the petrified forrest remains by my grandad when I was about 6 - so that is near 60 years ago. As described it was around Dove point and slightly to the right as you look out to sea.

Some old relatives who lived in Grove Road Wallasey had a "chunk" of the stuff on the dresser in their parlour.

Snod
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Mar 2008 10:17pm
The Petrified forest

Attached picture Untitled-1.jpg
Attached picture 82.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Mar 2008 10:31pm
I thnk I may have seen this recently...

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Mar 2008 11:07pm
They need that potion off Harry Potter Chamber Of Secrets to make it un pertrified.. (sorry for lame joke) (gets my coat) LOL

I heard Time Team where meant to investagate this ? I dont know how true this is as it was word of mouth and wasnt in the papers or anything...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Mar 2008 11:13pm
Hmmm I never heard anything about that, but it would'nt surprise me.

smile
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 19th Jul 2008 9:43pm
My dad says he remembers these as a kid, but thinks most were covered by the concrete embankment.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 19th Jul 2008 11:38pm
never knew about this forest (were have i bin) doh
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 19th Jul 2008 11:53pm
I'm sure in that link on here I gave about the history of the Hundred of Wirral it mentions a forest stretching a fair way up to at least Leasowe. I'll edit this and refer to it when I find it.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Jul 2008 12:19am
Never mind about editing, I was too late apparently but here's the quote about it:

"The horn of the Forester of Wirral, his warrant in 1283 for the allowance of venison to the workmen engaged in rebuilding Chester Cathedral, and his petition for remuneration when Wirral was disforested in 1362, are yet in existance; and though the Hundred now appears to be so denuded of wood, considerable fossil remains of a forest may be traced the entire length of the river Birken, from its source at Newton Car, to Wallasey Pool. Near Leasowe Castle they are found for upwards of a mile from East to West, on both sides of the Birken, and many oak trees of a large size have been dug out from the sands.* Similar remains are also visible at low water, of the highest spring tides, upon the Lancashire side of the Mersey. They are generally laying prostrate roots to which were once united. From the regularity of their position, it is evident they had been planted; and, not being found in the incumbent masses decayed forests usually exhibit, it would seem they were either cut down or destroyed by some sudden or violent catastrophe.**

These facts establish the existence of a forest upon the confines of the two counties, on a site, much of which is now covered by the estuary of the Mersey, which consequently could not then have occupied its current channel. Its entrance, most probably, was then a mere streamlet, meandering to the Dee, along the shore we now call Mockbeggar Wharf, and so insignificant as to account for its omission from the ancient maps. The present magnificent estuary is doubtless owing to some violent disruption of nature, in which the land yielded to the force of the waters."

*In these submarine forests have also been found fossil remains of the Hippopotamus of the South Seas, the Canadian, and the Irish Elk, with horns of Stags of all ages and sizes; and, also, those of the Bos-Taurus, -a native of the old British forests, now nearly extinct, although a species much degenerated in size yet remains in the parks of Chatelherault, and of Chillingham, and at Lyme in Cheshire. Some horns of the Cervus Elephas have been discovered in excavating the bed of Wallasey Pool, not in a fossil state, but retaining their animal matter; -the same convulsion which embedded the forest having, in all probability, entombed its antlered inhabitants.
In the prosecution of some surveys connected with the entrance into Liverpool, in 1828, a cemetary was found opposite the present lighthouse at Leasowe, about 150 yards below the flow of the tide; a similar burial place has also been discovered at Formby, on the Lancashire shoreline.

** The encroachment of the Mersey at remote periods are frequently referred to, though their immediate effects may not have been so visible. In 1294 the Cistercians of Stanlaw, "in consequence of irruptions of the river, which then rose three feet high in the offices of their monastery, threatening all with destruction," were obliged to move to Whalley.
Posted By: sonyj Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Jul 2008 9:42am
Ive seen it a few years ago when i used to go digging for bait with my dad if you walk from the slip way at meols towards moreton about 800m and 300m before the concrete break water at dove point iam not sure if its covered over again I no the sandbank has shifted over the past few years years
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Petrified Forest near Meols - 20th Jul 2008 11:38am
i may take a walk later see if i can spot it happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral