Forums
Posted By: jonno40 Old Flaybrick Road - 10th Jan 2008 3:35pm
does any one have any info on old flaybrick road.it is on some maps and not others ,you can access it from mercer road.the path runs up hill along the backs of the houses on one side and the old boundary of flaybrick cemetery where there is a new housing estate.there is a sandstone rock face running all the way up to where the welded shut rear gates to the cemetery are.we noticed this morning that roughly halfway up the path the rock face falls away and in the middle of this gap, built in to the rock face is a red brick wall which goes down in to the ground on close inspection the ground below has been piled with boulders and there is a mantle above the wall ,it looks like at some point it was an entrance to somthing .any ideas

Description: mysterious bricks.is this a hidden entrance ???
Attached picture 007.JPG
Attached picture 008.JPG
Attached picture 009.JPG
Attached picture 010.JPG
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 10th Jan 2008 4:00pm
thats very wierd that.. The whole time ive lived around here ive never noticed that. My uncle used to live in colin road and i used to go there all the time and play around that area and i never really noticed the brick wall.. It does look like an entrance to something but what is the question..... Good find any how happy
Posted By: Mark Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 11th Jan 2008 11:25am
Never new that, we as kicds know it as the "Nanny Goats" or the "Nans" now by modern kids.

We played most of our summers around there as my mums mum
used to live in the houses on the hill, not the new ones.
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 11th Jan 2008 12:41pm
done some more digging and some records show that the infectious disease hospital may have been on that site so maybe its a capped basement /cellar. some records say it was on the corner of flaybrick road/tollemache road.this is just pure speculation.maybe some one can confirm where the hospital actually was.i have also read on here about the dipthereia holding rooms so maybe there is a link to this as well
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 4:42pm
eureka!!! i have got a book from the library,titled Birkenhead A Pictorial History written by Ian Boumphrey. and it clearly shows the infectious disease hospital was directly above where we have found the possible bicked up entrance to something. I havent got a scanner so i cant post the pic on here but it clearly shows the hospital on the hill where the new estate is now. so was this a service tunnel or a basement entrance .or is it where the dead came out to be taken to the cemetery.

Attached picture 007.JPG
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 4:47pm
Very intresting, Iv enjoyed reading this topic smile

Off to read some more topics like this now laugh
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 4:54pm
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 4:59pm
Where abouts is this wall ? I mean i know its flaybrick road but where abouts in the wirral, As im still learning my ay around lol
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 5:11pm
off tollemache road bidston . go to google maps and use this to find it the tunnel?? or what ever it is is in the middle of lower flaybrick road.known locally as the nanny goat or nan(no idea why)(lower flaybrick road,bidston ,wirral)
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 5:27pm
Originally Posted by jonno39
I havent got a scanner so i cant post the pic on here

any chance of a taking a picture of it instead?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 14th Jan 2008 6:14pm
will do in hsp tomorrow but will do it weds /thurs
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 28th Jan 2008 9:55am
done some more research.there were houses on the site of the hospital as well ,and along with the hospital there was an extensive set of cellars so may be its an old cellar head.these cellar heads where used for the delivery of coal to power the hospital.we have been back and removed a few bricks and it is a false wall with a space behind but due to the location and the overgrown brambles(ouch)it is difficult to get to.we also think that the rock face was blasted to create an entrance at some point and these boulders were again used in the sealing /filling of the entrance.there are a of large random boulders in front of it but none anywhere else along that stretch
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 28th Jan 2008 12:11pm
As a kid I used to play around there, when it was all wasteland, though as a younger kid I attended the hospital for a short while before it was demolished. I remeber the tunnel entrance looking structure as a kid, it was all bricked up then but always wondered what that entrance was used for? It was a pretty big entrance...something like a tram or large vehicle could get through. I remember in that area on the hospital side of the wall an old doorway full of rubble leading into some smaller room..my memory is very vague I don't know whether the room was some sort of storage room cut into the rock or it was an actual standalone room. That area in the late 80's was full of surprises, now all built on I don't know what is left and what is not..with loads of scallies nowadays everything is either demolished or completely blocked up nothing like years ago where you could prise open and metal door or the likes. smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Feb 2008 10:03am
would love to pick your brain /memory sometime to see if the location of what we have found is the same as your room :>
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Feb 2008 12:18pm
Originally Posted by jonno39
eureka!!! i have got a book from the library,titled Birkenhead A Pictorial History written by Ian Boumphrey. and it clearly shows the infectious disease hospital was directly above where we have found the possible bicked up entrance to something. I havent got a scanner so i cant post the pic on here but it clearly shows the hospital on the hill where the new estate is now. so was this a service tunnel or a basement entrance .or is it where the dead came out to be taken to the cemetery.

Just looked at that photograph you posted, and know the place. Just like it was when I was a kid, always wanted to know what that entrance was used for, I f I look at it again now with a bit more knowledge and looking at the surrounding area see if I could get a btter understating of what the bricked up area may have been used for, e.g location and what the ground is like leading out form the entrance. Though it's not the same place I posted about though, the place I was talking about seemed more like an outhouse for the hospital. I remember the waste land there and can picture the tiled floors and rubble from the hospital being a great place to get up to mischief. tease

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=816&page=58#jump2management
Posted By: Mark Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Feb 2008 2:21pm
This may help or confuse the issue Click Me

If you read the topic, i explain that i was told how the now path way parralell to the Flaybrick wall was once used as a back road to the hospital and the rooms of the dead.

Have a read and see how it fits in at all?

Archives Good Find
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Feb 2008 2:40pm
cheers mark .
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Feb 2008 2:46pm
Ahh yeah, kinda got an idea of that area but it has changed so much. I reckon thats the spot I posted about, the photo of the structure inside does ring a bell too. I doubt there will be another room like that in that exact area. Looks like the rocks have been cut down...either that or it just seemed a lot higher as a kid. Yep so I reckon thats the place then. Though as a kid I'm sure the entrance was a doorway just like any other (a hell of a lot less rubble). Its hard to picture like I said as the area has changed quite a lot. I think I need to go there and actually get a feel for the area.
Posted By: Mark Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 12th Feb 2008 3:49pm
That wall, when i explained it too my ancient contact,
he says it was probably just a supporting wall, as the wall on top
was the same sandstone you see today.

The Hospital was build in Red Brick.

The Nurses Homes.
There is a House on the left (as you go in the New Estate)
and it has a plaque on it "Beckies Place" or something similar.
And that is the location of where the Nursing Homes for the Nurses were.

1. Where your wall is.
2 or 3 Is where "Beckies Place is" ?
Will have to check next time i'm passing.

Flaybrick Close or Oakwood Drive.

Attached picture raf04.jpg
Posted By: gunsjon398 Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Mar 2009 8:50pm
Does anyone know the name of the disease that is airborne in Flaybrick cemetery's crypt/tomb/underground burial chamber etc.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 3rd Mar 2009 8:56pm
someone mentioned diptheria the other day
Posted By: bigpete Re: Old Flaybrick Road - 13th Aug 2013 2:18pm
Weren't the nanny Goat mountains - off Hoylake Rod between there and Brow Road ?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral