Forums
Posted By: philmch Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 4th Jan 2008 4:26pm
Just wondered whether anyone is familiar with the work of Martin Parr.

In the 80s, he took a series of photos in New Brighton which were published under the title of The Last Resort. You can see them at:
http://tinyurl.com/282ro4

New Link

They're not everyone's cup of tea but I have to say that I love them. There are some real classics in there such as the young lad dipping his toe in a *filty* marine lake.

Attached picture LON6955.jpg
Attached picture LON6959.jpg
Attached picture LON6963.jpg
Attached picture LON6967.jpg
Attached picture LON6971.jpg
Attached picture LON6975.jpg
Attached picture LON6979.jpg
Attached picture LON6984.jpg
Attached picture LON6987.jpg
Attached picture LON6991.jpg
Very nostalgic. I loved the funfairs. I see he's a member of Magnum. I'd buy the book, but it's £48
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 4th Jan 2008 6:14pm
wow, excellent thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 4th Jan 2008 6:42pm
Ive ridden on those Sky Rockets in the Fun Fair lol....
Back then if i remember you could buy a booklet of tickets.
It was supposed to be more value for money.

It was our parents way of getting rid of us for the evening
getting on the train to new Brighton.
Posted By: philmch Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 4th Jan 2008 10:17pm
You're right about the tickets Mark. Another thing I remember about The Palace (big indoor fair) was the smell; a mixture of candy floss, chips, and machinery. Then there was that sort of high pitched siren which went off when one of the rides started. Fantastic place for kids and captured beautifully and honestly by Martin Parr.

Incidentally, Birkenhead band Rattlebus have written a song about it called Galloping Horses. It can be heard at http://www.rattlebus.co.uk

The fibreglass jets get a mention too.
Fascinating pics from back in the day. I didn't realise the outdoor pool was still there in the 80's. Interesting!
This out door pool looked really cool, I wish it was still about frown
I never knew New Brighton had so much going for it back in the day, It makes me sad to look out the window now and see how it has became over the years frown

From my back window i can see the front and the light house etc etc and from the front window i can see all the pubs and shops haha
Posted By: philmch Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 6th Jan 2008 3:11pm
Just discovered that it's available from Amazon for £16.25:
http://tinyurl.com/ys5s5w
It's the sounds and smells that I remember as well as all those penny slot machines around the main entrance - don't recall ever winning anything.
Does anyone recall the proper "Big Top" type circus which was behind/next to the funfair ? I dont know if it was permanent or just occasional. For some reason I associate the name Roberts with it.
does anyone recognise anybody in the pictures ? smile
Posted By: sparky Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 23rd May 2011 4:44pm
Wow, what great pictures.
Posted By: suey30 Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 23rd May 2011 5:39pm
fab pictures,dont remember it looking that dirty when i went there in the sixties,used to love the tower fair,went there every day.
Posted By: Snorlax Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 23rd May 2011 5:48pm
Coincidently I was looking at Paul Trevor's Flickr page last night (I must get over to see his exhibition) and this reminded me of the Last Resort which I remember being exhibited at the Williamson Art gallery when I was at school in 1986. After a bit of Googling, I found the book on Amazon and ordered it yesterday. Can't wait to have a look through. If social commentary is your thing then Paul Trevor's black and white photographs of inner-city Liverpool in 1975 are amazing. If it wasn't for the odd Raleigh Chopper and flared trousers you would think it was Victorian England.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 23rd May 2011 7:08pm
Excellent photos. A more miserable bunch you'd be hard pressed to find. I love the way the British travel miles to be as miserble as they woulda been in their front room...
Posted By: Geekus Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 27th May 2011 8:25am
Anyone remember Tom Wood's book about The Chelsea Reach in New Brighton? Think it was called 'Looking for Love'.

Some great pictures in there, but painfully poignant at the same time (and that's just seeing the hair-do's). camera

Posted By: Geekus Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 27th May 2011 9:20am
http://we-english.co.uk/blog/?p=2604

The photos in this link might jog a few memories. shocked
Posted By: Geekus Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 27th May 2011 1:17pm
withthat Mullets, mayhem, and minging carpets
Posted By: granny Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 1st Jul 2011 8:18pm
Yes.The two children eating ice creams are my friends children. Now in their thirties and they still live in Wirral. They know of this picture and saw it on the wall in episodes of Coronation Street. It did win awards I believe and in those days it wasn't necessary to ask permission. Wouldn't get away with it now but alas those natural pics will be hard to find in the future.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 28th Aug 2011 8:28pm
thats the book i've got!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 29th Aug 2011 9:49am
Omg, look at this...

clicky

£340 omg
Posted By: custard Re: Martin Parr -The Last Resort - New Brighton - 5th Sep 2011 9:19pm
there's a Tom wood book called 'photie man' aswell, he used to live on magazine lane... i think he moved to Wales though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral