Forums
Posted By: philmch Oxton abandoned military base - 28th Dec 2007 10:45pm
I remember when we moved to Oxton in '68 there was still a huge abandoned military base on what is now the field in Shavington Avenue. A lot of it was flooded and it was infested with rats. Anyone got any photos ?

Also The Quarry (field behind Aldi - Duck Pond Lane). This used to be much rougher ground and a great place for kids to explore. I remember it having really deep trenches and I was told it used to have pits where kids went swimming in the summer
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 28th Dec 2007 11:21pm
I dont have any photos but just to clarify where you talking about, is it the old RAF base that backed onto holm lane and the old brick works that used to be on the feild behind Aldi?
Only I have just asked my dad. He used to live in that area and he used to go to both these places as a kid. Unfortunately no photos though I'm afraid. Sounds fascinating though, would love to see some pics.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 28th Dec 2007 11:45pm
I'm too young to remember, but I'm sure others on here might.

As ghostly1 said, sounds facinating
Posted By: chriskay Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 29th Dec 2007 11:19am
Well, I'm old enough to remember, but can't help. Pinzgauer, where are you?

Cheers, Chris
Posted By: philmch Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 29th Dec 2007 2:45pm
That's right ghostly1. If you have Google Earth, the co-ordinates are:
53 22' 34.26"N, 3 03' 24.10"W
for the field where the base was, and
53 22' 30.16"N, 3 03' 01.92"W
for the other one.

Didn't know there'd been a brick works there though. Always used we called it The Quarry as there had been a stone quarry on the site.
Posted By: mrallen Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 29th Dec 2007 7:20pm
My parents house backed onto what we called the quarry as kids but I think if the truth were told it was an old brick works. If I remember correctly when I moved there about mid 60s they were just filling in the ruins of the brick works. I also remember there were hundreds of small mounds of what I realise now were probably [censored] heaps or waste materials from the brick works. I used to spend all my time playing there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 30th Dec 2007 10:45am
I think the military base off Holm Lane was part of a local ack-ack unit. In 1956 it briefly held refugees who had legged it after the Hungarian uprising. It was all demolished just before they built the "new" houses in the mid '60's.

The claypit of the other side of Holm Lane was the workings of the old Birkenhead Brick Works Co. I think it finished production in 1958/9. A few classmates and myself went up there one Saturday morning to watch them demolish the large chimney attached to the brick kilns. Couldn't use "bang" due to nearby houses. They cut away the base on one side (the way they wanted it to fall) and proped it up with baulks of timber. Set a large fire going around the timbers. Timbers burnt through and chimney fell in a huge cloud of dust and soot.

Before the dust had settled, one of the team had jumped onto the long pile of rubble and was coiling up the copper lightning conductor with the top crown spike. Obviously it was worth a few bob, even in those days !!

As a child, I lived in Ennerdale Road (off Woodchurch Rd) and used to walk home from school (Woodchurch Rd Primary). A distance unheard of nowadays ! En route home used to play in the claypit sometimes - only to get a right row from my Mum for coming home covered in red/brown gunge !!
The 1 1/2d bus fare thus saved went towards a visit to the sweet shop (Thornley's) in Woodchurch Rd.

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 30th Dec 2007 12:50pm
Thats a great story. Enjoyed reading that smile
Posted By: philmch Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 30th Dec 2007 4:15pm
Thanks Pinzgauer. Very interesting post. I also remember the air-raid shelter on The Quarry. It was right behind one of the houses on Holm Lane.

I went to Woody Road School too for a few years and had to walk. My mum used to take me down the lanes behind The Queens Arms. Bet kids these days wouldn't have it.

On the way home, I sometimes used to get sweets from the little shop which was next to The Queens Arms. Remember that ? There was also a small sweet shop in Oxton village until the 70s. It would've been the first shop you came to on the right as you walked down the hill.
Posted By: dingle Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 16th Sep 2008 3:18am
I remember the sweet shop in Oxton village, about 59/60, it was owne by some old deaf guy and when you went in you had to shout to get his attention. Cause when we sagged school we would go to Oxton and steal apples from the houses up the top of Rose Mount. We went there as the people on that side would not have known about Temple Rd so we were pretty safe. Aaaah memories.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 16th Sep 2008 9:43am
My mum and dad lived in Claughton Firs in mid-late 60s. My brother was only a toddler and apparently walked out of the flat one evening by himself. My mum was beside herself with worry looking for him. Turns out he was down the road in the Talbot. lol
Posted By: dingle Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 17th Sep 2008 3:16am
Good pub the Talbot so I don't blame him. But he might have been better of going to the lolly shop.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 17th Sep 2008 8:38am
Its was about 10 in the evening - when ppl used to leave their front doors open. I think it was a very hot summer.
Posted By: joney Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 5th May 2012 4:13pm
Holme lane was an anti aircraft battery that was manned by both men & women,however it suffered a direct hit by a german bomb and the resultant explosion was tremendous due to the shells stored on site. The dead were buried in a mass grave in Landigan cemetery which I looked at many years ago. A very sad story I am afraid. It would be interesting if someone could put a photo up of the headstone.
Posted By: Helles Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 5th May 2012 6:45pm
Originally Posted by joney
Holme lane was an anti aircraft battery that was manned by both men & women,however it suffered a direct hit by a german bomb and the resultant explosion was tremendous due to the shells stored on site. The dead were buried in a mass grave in Landigan cemetery which I looked at many years ago. A very sad story I am afraid. It would be interesting if someone could put a photo up of the headstone.

I've photographed all the war graves in Landican using information from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and there is no mass grave that I know of. There is a small military cemetery down the first lane on the left with many graves of Royal Artillery and Cheshires of which some are unknown so possibly they are the ones you are talking about? Each grave is marked individually though. I was led to believe that most of those buried there were from Darleydene in Breck road Wallasey although I stand to be corrected.
Posted By: fiftyfiver Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 5th May 2012 8:13pm
As an apprentice electrician i used to go to the Brickworks in 1954, general maintenance, also we went to the Army camp in Holm Lane, it was occupied by Married Staff, whilst the Soldiers were on duty abroad, i always used to moan as it was Army Camp in the winter, on repairing overhead lines, and Summer in the Brickworks, on top of the Kilns.
Posted By: joney Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 6th May 2012 10:27am
I am sure that I looked at this mass grave when I visited my brothers war grave many years ago. Could the remains have been moved at a later date. The incident at Holme Lane did happen as I have described.I was about 10 at the time and it remains vivid in my memory
Posted By: joney Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 6th May 2012 1:54pm
Here I am again and I have been thinking again [dangerous], during the blitz there were so many casualties that the authorities were under pressure to get burials over quickly and this may have resulted in a mass grave for reinterment at a later date. An example of this was the childrens library under the main library on Borough rd being moved upstairs and it was then used as a mortuary, all this due to pressure. We were living in abnormal times and the norm did not exist.
Posted By: Helles Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 6th May 2012 5:46pm
Is it possible that you are talking about civilian victims? As I said, I had the official CWGC list of all military burials in Landican and they all have separate graves, even the unknown. There is a wall frieze dedicated to those who were cremated there as well so possibly it is that you are thinking of?

In Wallasey, the old tram sheds in Field road were used as temporary mortuaries for victims of bombing. I think they were buried in a mass grave. There is a memorial in Rake lane cemetery.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 6th Jun 2012 2:35pm
My Dad before he went into the regular army was a young member of the Home Guard - and as such assisted at AA sites locally (mainly Irby and Thurstaston) - if the Holm Lane site was manned in the same way - they would more than likely be locals and as such buried in family plots locally.
Posted By: joney Re: Oxton abandoned military base - 30th Jun 2012 2:56pm
Helles,Just returned from Clion Sur Mer and found some war graves of servicemen from the Lancastria which was sunk off St Nazaire.The headstones all list two people but the last one lists 17 bodies known only to god. There are also graves for two seamen from the H.M.S Cambelltown incident when the dock gates at St Nazaire were rammed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral