Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe New Brighton Tower - 7th May 2007 9:16pm
[Linked Image]

Everyone knows about the Blackpool Tower, but few people know that New Brighton too had a similar tower which was infact taller.

The New Brighton Tower was taller than its cousin, standing it 172.8 metres and a massive success when first opened. The Blackpool Tower stands at a mere 158 metres compared to it.

Work started on its construction on 22 June 1896. The tower, which weighed 1,000 tons, was completed in 1900.

During the construction of the Tower six workmen were killed and another seriously injured either though falls or accidents. On completion the Tower was the highest building in the country.

Soon after the Tower was opened a young man threw himself off the balcony to be the first suicide from the building.

It sat in sumptious gardens with an enormous 2000 capacity ballroom at its base. Four lifts took the sightseers to the top of the structure at a cost of 6d offering views of as far as the Isle of Man, Manchester and Mount Snowdon.

Unlike the Blackpool Tower it had a lavish gothic base, as if sat ontop of a stately home.

It remained popular until World War One, the nation stopped partying so much and the tower was shut-down temporarily.

Sadly during the shut-down period the metalwork was neglected and it got rusty so with the war over in 1919 it failed to be suitable for public use.
Faced with a massive bill for restoring it the owners instead decided to pull it down and rely on income from the ballroom and gardens. It was dismantled between 1919 and 1921.

The ballroom lasted as a top concert venue until fire gutted it in 1969, shortly after the Beatles played there.

Other than the ballroom and the gardens, New Brighton Tower had a lot more to offer including:

The 'Old English Fairground' - Featuring the Himalayan Switchback Railway, Water Chute and a Lion House.

The Theatre - The theatre could hold 3,500 people, with the world's largest stage measuring 45 feet wide and 72 feet deep.

The Athletic Ground - To the rear of the Tower Building, with football pitch in the centre. It had a cycle track around it, where Cycle Championships were staged, the World Cycling Championship was held on the Tower Track in 1922. Motor bike racing was also staged on the track.

American Roller Skating Rink

An Open Market and Shops

Private Police Force - Consisting of 15 men to parade around the Tower and it's grounds to keep order.

The Tower Also had it's own football club - New Brighton Tower Football Club - Founded in October 1896 and battled for a place in the First Division of the Football League in the 1898/99 season. In those days there were 16 teams in the English League, which consisted of first and second divisions only.

Attached picture 596-wikiwirral-NewBrightonTower.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: New Brighton Tower - 7th May 2007 9:17pm
The most interesting thing about writing this topic is that I learnt a lot myself too smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: New Brighton Tower - 8th May 2007 7:44am
It was actually taller than Blackpool tower!!

There are however no remains of this monster these days, though if you go to the end of the prom - to the mini roundabout (Past where the "Chelsea" used to be) - there is a hill and field - thats where the tower used to be.... smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: New Brighton Tower - 8th May 2007 11:41am
ahh I was wondering where it was.

what happened?! New Brighton used to be amazing, the tower, the pier, amusements, open swimming pool e.t.c Now its just run down.

I think there should be funding to build it all back up again, creating tourism to the Wirral and it will also give kids around here something to do.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 31st May 2007 1:22pm
Interesting stuff Joe,
but i'm not sure if it looked ugly as hell or that's just me
the first picture in the first post makes it look evil.

Ive been told that its demise was lack of maintaince,
and in the end it was cut down for scrap metal.

Not sure about it but, would make sense.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Jun 2007 12:48am
You really should read the posts more Mark:

Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Sadly during the shut-down period the metalwork was neglected and it got rusty so with the war over in 1919 it failed to be suitable for public use.
Faced with a massive bill for restoring it the owners instead decided to pull it down and rely on income from the ballroom and gardens. It was dismantled between 1919 and 1921.

wink
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Jun 2007 7:09pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Ive been told that its demise.....
I was "TOLD" being the operative word. smack
I was told all about it by a relative, who remembers it.

And its good to see that both versions match up.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Jun 2007 7:16pm
Lol i was nit picking, ya know me tease
Posted By: SoundLad Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Aug 2007 2:10pm
It would be nice for New Brighton to be revived i.e. Make a huge Amusement park.. Yes we have the Wirral show but there is 3 HUGE fields which could accomodate a New Tower, Fairground and etc why on earth dont the council do something about it those fields are massive and they are being used for nothing only once a year so one on earth are the DIPS allowed to just be used once a year.. New Brighton used to be a Fun place to go when i was a kid the Indoor fair was fairly all right and the Adventure Playground to.. Know look at it.. The only decent place around the North West now is blackpool with Southport shut down so i recon they should revive the Town. smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Aug 2007 2:34pm
To the best of my knowledge the dips are classed as reclaimed land, created by dumping loads of sand there (to create storm protection), therefore no permanant structure can be built there, there is still tower grounds tho.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Aug 2007 2:36pm
aye smile shame like cause the dips are huge...
Posted By: Waddi Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Aug 2007 2:42pm
Also, Pleasureland Southport is open again, under new ownership, its only travelling fair style rides at the moment but atleast its something.

http://www.newpleasureland.co.uk/
Posted By: SoundLad Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Aug 2007 3:57pm
Oh nice at least Southport has something decent at least thats the only thing decent there pleasure land apart from the Ice Cream shop on Lord Street heh! laugh
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 12:21am
New Brighton Tower - a tribute

[youtube]wnS3ZLaXPMk[/youtube]
Posted By: Peachy Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 12:41am
I didnt know about this Tower! Where about was the tower stood??

Don't know much really considering its the erea i live in!

Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 5:29am
Around this area I believe:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=5972733345138205948,53.439511,-3.038662&saddr=53.439618,-3.038514&daddr=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=53.439557,-3.03816&sspn=0.001527,0.003616&ie=UTF8&ll=53.439563,-3.038149&spn=0.001527,0.003616&t=h&z=18

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the tower ballroom once stood somewhere around that area.

think
Posted By: jonno40 Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 8:13am
pretty close matty but it was actually back down the prom .the entrance to the tower grounds was on the corner of Egerton street and the promenade.When i was a kid there wasn't much left other than the foundations of the tower complex and the remains of the football stadium,who incidentally were known as the rakers.The whole area has now been landscaped and a housing estate now stands where the football ground was and a park and a five a side pitch have replaced the tower ball room complex .:>
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 8:19am
Cheers for clearing that up matey, ive always wondered where the exact location was, I had a feeling I would be wrong.

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 8:19am
thumbsup
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 9:14am
new brighton...with a tower...wtf?
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 10:33am
Funnily enough my aunt was telling me about the tower when she was a kid, i was talking about New brighton getting done up (was in the wirral globe) i didnt know it had a tower.. but then again untill last night i didnt know how popular New briton was in its day.. apparently Blackpool had to do alot to compete with new briton, wouldnt think that now would you lol
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 10:37am
hmm...still think BOTH should be bulldozed
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 10:37am
Yes, New Brighton was every bit as popular as Blackpool in its heyday.

Having said that though, its a sad state of affairs in general for the entire UK seaside resort market. They have practically all gone into a fatal decline.

I always remember Granada Tonight filming at Blackpool in 2006, blazing hot sun in the middle of summer, and hardly any fooker about. Tis a sign of the times im afraid, not just New Brighton.

frown
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 10:39am
Well technically New brighton is being.. but its just getting rebuilt lol the plans look fantastic for it, we'll see when it's almost done.. as for Blackpool.. i like Blackpool lol i went a few months ago on a girly weekend, was brill laugh
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 10:41am
mmmm...classy! raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 14th Mar 2008 10:43am
Originally Posted by Izzy
Well technically New brighton is being.. but its just getting rebuilt lol the plans look fantastic for it, we'll see when it's almost done.. as for Blackpool.. i like Blackpool lol i went a few months ago on a girly weekend, was brill laugh

Isnt it only the Floral Pavillion that is being "rebuilt" atm though?? Im not sure one building inspires me with confidence yet, especially as no fooker took much interest in the old one lmao!
Posted By: dave_g Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 2:47am
does anyone remember the golden goose opposite the chelsea?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 10:00am
A few scans of New Brighton Tower area from my set of postcards dated around 1905 (according to the postmarks).

Snod

Attached picture NewBrightonTowerS.jpg

Description: Seen from Vale Park
Attached picture NewBrightonTowerS001.jpg

Description: Not sure where this view is from
Attached picture NewBrightonToweS002.jpg

Description: The Tower + the "Mags". The Magazines were originally the building where the gunpowder was kept before ships were allowed to dock in the Mersey
Attached picture NewBrightonTowerMagsS003.jpg
Posted By: jordan Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 11:40am
Second to last pic looks like either the small park next to Riverside School, outside Guinie Gap baths or outside the town hall.

On second thoughts as the tide breaker at Egromont is no where near that old i doubt thats correct.The thing streching out into the sea must be the old pier which would make this picture around Egromont Ferry. Wow saying that now i think that pier could well be the old ferry pier at Egromont and the picture be where i first though in Seacombe :s
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 11:47am
Wow i have to be honest there probably the first pictures
i have seen that makes the Tower look Nice wink

All the older "original" pictures make it gloomy and cold.

Thanks for Sharing wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Colgo Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 2:39pm
Fantastic site with loads of pics of New Brighton tower etc.
can't believe the number of people on the beach

clicky
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 8:27pm
busy in them days werent it
Posted By: Waddi Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Mar 2008 8:33pm
anyone know anything about the zoo/menagerie connected with the tower?
Posted By: piranha Re: New Brighton Tower - 10th Apr 2008 7:51pm
Just to let you know that it was me that posted this video on you tube (parapiranha) not sound lad as identified. I have edited other footage and made this video about the tower.

Best regards

Kev
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 10th Apr 2008 8:22pm
Its been really well put together the music sets it off too.
I have sent you a private message with ref to (Soundlad) i think its a misunderstanding.

Here is the video again if you missed it in a previous post.

[youtube]wnS3ZLaXPMk[/youtube]
Posted By: piranha Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2008 3:06pm
just to say thanks Mark for clarification
Posted By: Brian Re: New Brighton Tower - 23rd Apr 2008 6:28pm
Originally Posted by Colgo
Fantastic site with loads of pics of New Brighton tower etc.
can't believe the number of people on the beach

Three things killed off New Brighton, IMO. The first was when they closed the Liverpool <-> New Brighton ferry. You used to get a lot of people came over on that, but didn't seem to fancy the walk from New Brighton station (or there was some other reason). Item two on the list was the beach. I remember when I was a very young kid living in New Brighton (late 50s) my folks used to take me down there two or three times a week in the summer. Then the pollution got to it, and if you dug more than about six inches down in the sand you got to this evil-smelling black stuff. Stunk something awful, it did. The third thing, of course, was the same for all British resorts, and that was the package tours.

Closing down the pool was the final nail in the coffin. It used to be way better than Guinea Gap, mainly because they didn't clear the pool every hour or so. Get into New Brighton pool and you were there for the day.

Brian.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 23rd Apr 2008 7:45pm
I guess your right, sound like a logical fall of fame.
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Brighton Tower - 23rd Apr 2008 9:50pm
Originally Posted by Brian

The first was when they closed the Liverpool <-> New Brighton ferry. You used to get a lot of people came over on that, but didn't seem to fancy the walk from New Brighton station (or there was some other reason).

Quite right; one of the main reasons was that the trip on the ferry was a major part of the day out. Going by train just wasn't the same.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 24th Apr 2008 7:21am
Question : If the ferry was to be the demise of New Brighton
why did they cancel it?
Was it no longer a popular run?

Ahh i think the answer is in your reply chris?
The arrival of the train.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Tower - 24th Apr 2008 8:19am
One of the reasons for the withdrawal of the ferry was the silting up in front of the stage. It had to be dredged more and more. A losing battle really.

If I remember, prior to full closure, they cancelled the boats for an hour or so either side of low water in case they grounded!

At low water spring tides, the stage was sometimes at a bit of an angle due to the pontoons being on the bottom !
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New Brighton Tower - 24th Apr 2008 12:20pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
One of the reasons for the withdrawal of the ferry was the silting up in front of the stage. It had to be dredged more and more. A losing battle really.

If I remember, prior to full closure, they cancelled the boats for an hour or so either side of low water in case they grounded!

At low water spring tides, the stage was sometimes at a bit of an angle due to the pontoons being on the bottom !

Yeah, this is one of the problems that the new terminal will have to overcome before it can be even considered to be built.

frown
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Brighton Tower - 24th Apr 2008 1:35pm
Originally Posted by Mark

Ahh i think the answer is in your reply chris?
The arrival of the train.

The railway arrived at New Brighton in about 1888 (Pinzgauer, your territory I think) & I don't think it had any real effect on the ferry service, although it probably helped to develop New Brighton as a commuter town for Liverpool, despite the fact that for many years this involved a change of trains at Birkenhead Park. The problem with the ferry was silting, as Pinzgauer has explained.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Tower - 24th Apr 2008 7:13pm
Silting it is then smile
Posted By: AR_One Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Apr 2008 11:56am
Originally Posted by Brian

Closing down the pool was the final nail in the coffin. It used to be way better than Guinea Gap, mainly because they didn't clear the pool every hour or so. Get into New Brighton pool and you were there for the day.

Brian.

I just remember going to the pool in the early 80's and it was flipping freezing - I also remeber going to the worst fireworks display ever there - it was pouring with rain and all of the rockets wouldn't light

Happy days
Posted By: SoundLad Re: New Brighton Tower - 25th Apr 2008 1:15pm
The reason they stopped the ferry at new brighton is there was a dispute with a worker who used to maintain the landing stage / jetty and they couldnt find anybody else so it came into disrepair cause of the sea salt then they just scrapped it along with the Pier.. smile
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 19th May 2011 3:46pm

New Brighton Tower and grounds in the moonlight

Attached picture 96324453_f8ce630dabtower2.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 19th May 2011 3:48pm

Another shot of the Tower

Attached picture 96324897_1c073fb6b4_btower.jpg
Posted By: poodlepup Re: New Brighton Tower - 19th May 2011 3:54pm
nice post cards,thanks for sharing
Posted By: Jule71 Re: New Brighton Tower - 20th May 2011 10:28am
Wouldn't it be lovely if they built a new tower along with all the new developments that are going on in New Brighton ... Thank you for sharing your postcards x
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: New Brighton Tower - 20th May 2011 5:49pm
Originally Posted by Jule71
Wouldn't it be lovely if they built a new tower along with all the new developments that are going on in New Brighton ... Thank you for sharing your postcards x

And pigs might fly.....
Posted By: taylor4898 Re: New Brighton Tower - 23rd May 2011 5:53pm
Great postcards,its nice to see how it looked in its heyday
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 23rd May 2011 7:01pm
It's funny to think just how big it was.

Where did it all go wrong...
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton Tower - 23rd May 2011 7:41pm
Originally Posted by pablo42
Can't say where, but can say when:
1910: County Borough of Wallasey, Cheshire
motto: "Audemus dum cavemus" ("We are bold whilst we are cautious")
v.
1974: Metropolitan District of Wirral...
County of Merseyside...
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 1st Jun 2011 4:24pm

A nice view of the Tower

Attached picture tower.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Tower - 1st Jun 2011 9:01pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Originally Posted by pablo42
Can't say where, but can say when:
1910: County Borough of Wallasey, Cheshire
motto: "Audemus dum cavemus" ("We are bold whilst we are cautious")
v.
1974: Metropolitan District of Wirral...
County of Merseyside...

Nah you can't say that. World War one and then World War two (The sequel) is the correct answer.

No WW1 and the tower would have been maintained. No WW2 and hotels and other buildings would have been erected along Harrison Prom. I blame the Germans laugh
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton Tower - 2nd Jun 2011 4:52pm
Yes fair point, I was just thinking about the decline of Wallasey in general, I guess...! (so I was OT then! OOPS!)
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Sep 2011 11:05am

New Brighton tower from Egremont

Attached picture a1a1a1new_brighton_merseyside_c1900_.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Sep 2011 11:20am

Coloured postcard of the Tower

Attached picture Ravenscroft.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Sep 2011 12:19pm
Thanks for posting Pablo - Seacombe/Egremont prom used to be my playground as a kid!!
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 28th Sep 2011 1:58pm

Coming down the chair lift from the Tower

Attached picture nbr10.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 17th Nov 2011 10:17am

The Tower taken from the fort. No date

Attached picture 22New_Brighton_Tower_2-2.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 22nd Nov 2011 11:48am

The Tower in 1904, from Egremont

Attached picture tower1904.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 4th Apr 2012 12:00am

Another view of the Tower

Attached picture 000000NewBrightonTower.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 4th Apr 2012 12:01am

And another

Attached picture 000000nb.jpg
Posted By: Lorelei Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2012 6:32pm
Hello,

I believe that the two blokes (Policemen?) pictured are on the prom directly in front of Vale Park in New Brighton.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2012 7:44pm
Originally Posted by Lorelei
Hello,

I believe that the two blokes (Policemen?) pictured are on the prom directly in front of Vale Park in New Brighton.

That's right. The row of houses and the gateposts to Vale Park are still there.
The policemen have moved on.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2012 9:06pm
These are fantastic pictures , Pablo - thanks for putting them
up !
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2012 9:20pm
Police never wore flat caps back then, nor patrolled with their hands in their pockets, did they?
Might these be military uniforms?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2012 10:09pm
Residents from the Mariner's Home further up the Prom ???
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Tower - 12th Apr 2012 10:17pm
Or cadets at the college on Withens lane or possibly the Conway or other training ship?
Posted By: europa1 Re: New Brighton Tower - 15th Apr 2012 7:48am
The dips are reclaimed land. The sea went right up to the red and yellow noses cliffes. When the new prom was built it altered the wave currents causing sand to be stripped from the beaches further down This change has been successfully reversed by the building of concrete islands and groynes.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Tower - 16th Apr 2012 3:57pm

Unusual view of the Tower.

Attached picture 000000NewBrightonTower.jpg
Posted By: atw1960 Re: New Brighton Tower - 16th Apr 2012 7:12pm
Lordy, Pablo - with all these pics you're giving Ian Boumphrey some competition !
Posted By: pablo42 Tower Grounds - 12th Jun 2012 3:04pm

A guy and two kids walk folornly towards the Tower

Attached picture nb21966.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Tower Grounds - 12th Jun 2012 3:12pm
That's a very different view of the tower, to what we normally see. Very nice picture Pablo.
Thanks
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tower Grounds - 12th Jun 2012 3:20pm

The Demise of the Tower

Attached picture tower_fire3.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tower Grounds - 12th Jun 2012 3:21pm

Inside the Ballroom. How good was this?

Attached picture towerballroom.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tower Grounds - 12th Jun 2012 3:22pm
Originally Posted by granny
That's a very different view of the tower, to what we normally see. Very nice picture Pablo.
Thanks

Glad you like it Granny
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Tower Grounds - 12th Jun 2012 3:23pm

Who's on...

Attached picture pic_6.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 12:33pm

Taking the Tower down 1920s

Attached picture towera1920.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 12:34pm

Another showing the Tower being taken down 1920s

Attached picture Tower1920.jpg
Posted By: Davefabo Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 1:30pm
great pictures!
Posted By: j_demo Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 3:23pm
wow, wouldn't notice the area looking at it now! it all changed a looooong time before i was born ('89) and i'd have loved to have seen what it looked like 100 years ago in person.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 6:08pm
Brilliant pictures......must have been a magnificent sight !! smile
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 10:04pm
Wow...very interesting pics! My Mum and Dad used to go dancing at the Tower ballrooms. Wish we still had a pier... with all the modern developments in New Brighton now, that would be a nice nod to tradition to balance them. Bringing back the ferry would be too much to hope for!
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 10:17pm
probably gonna get flamed for this but was it the thing that looks like a race track behind the tower.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 10:43pm
velodrome later used for stock car racing (much much later 1070s)
Posted By: dave_h Re: Taking down the Tower - 10th Jul 2012 11:01pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
probably gonna get flamed for this but was it the thing that looks like a race track behind the tower.

i was wondering the same thing
Posted By: chriskay Re: Taking down the Tower - 11th Jul 2012 8:45am
Originally Posted by ianbx1
velodrome later used for stock car racing (much much later 1070s)

Wow, did they have cars then; were they introduced by William of Normandy in 1066? grin
Posted By: marzie Re: Taking down the Tower - 11th Jul 2012 9:04am
the track at the back of the tower was once new brighton football club who played in the lower divisions of the football league up to the early fifties.
Posted By: Helles Re: Taking down the Tower - 11th Jul 2012 9:17am
It was originally for cycle racing, the stock cars came much much later.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Taking down the Tower - 11th Jul 2012 8:05pm
Wow! The tower was a much more substantial structure than I ever thought. I'd only ever seen the top part in photo's before, I didn't realise there was a big stone building at the bottom.

Why was such a magnificent landmark demolished? confused
Posted By: Helles Re: Taking down the Tower - 12th Jul 2012 8:52am
Because it burnt down.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Taking down the Tower - 12th Jul 2012 9:58am
Originally Posted by Helles
Because it burnt down.

And it was damaged beyond repair? They couldn't have repaired/rebuilt the damaged part?
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Taking down the Tower - 12th Jul 2012 10:50am
Because it burnt down.

Not so.

Posted By: Helles Re: Taking down the Tower - 13th Jul 2012 8:37am
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
Because it burnt down.

Not so.

Okay,I'll bite,why then?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Taking down the Tower - 13th Jul 2012 9:03am
The Tower Ballroom burnt down, the actual steel tower was removed because of corrosion and became unsafe.
Posted By: Helles Re: Taking down the Tower - 13th Jul 2012 9:24am
Ah I see where we are coming from. Talking about the tower itself not the building! Yes Bert due to lack of maintenance during the first world war it became unsafe and was dismantled.
Posted By: granny Re: Taking down the Tower - 13th Jul 2012 9:27am
When the Tower Ballroom burnt down, at the time I was a GPO telephonist in Old Hall Street,Liverpool.
The newspaper reporters from far and wide, were making transfer charge calls to their newspaper head offices,many from London and reporting the incident over the telephone.Just shows how much communications and news reporting have changed.
There was a huge amount of reporting going on, so it must have been pretty important in the eyes of others.
We could listen in and monitor their calls.Back then it seemed very exciting but not quite the same sentiments are held now.
Posted By: pablo42 The Tower - 10th Aug 2012 8:28am

The Tower and Pier New Brighton 1914

Attached picture tower1914.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Tower - 10th Aug 2012 8:30am

Another shot of the Tower. I can't place where this photo was taken from. Anyone know?

Attached picture tower9.jpg
Posted By: Wally1 Re: The Tower - 10th Aug 2012 9:18am
Junction Molyneux Drive and Grosvenor Drive
looking into the top of the Tower grounds
near New Brighton FC.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral