Forums
Posted By: cools River Mersey , then and now - 23rd Jul 2020 6:19pm
Just spotted this programme on tonight channel 5, 8pm ....looks quite interesting. All about history of Mersey , obviously featuring Cammell Lairds and in WW2 produce a new warship every three weeks.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: River Mersey , then and now - 23rd Jul 2020 6:57pm
happy
Posted By: yoller Re: River Mersey , then and now - 24th Jul 2020 10:01am
I watched it last night - quite good, if rather superficial. But while banging on about all the famous ships that were built on the Mersey, the narrator still couldn't bring himself to make clear that Laird's is in Birkenhead, not Liverpool. What is it with these broadcasters? Do they think we're too thick to deal with any name other than Liverpool?
Posted By: casper Re: River Mersey , then and now - 24th Jul 2020 10:58am
Originally Posted by yoller
I watched it last night - quite good, if rather superficial. But while banging on about all the famous ships that were built on the Mersey, the narrator still couldn't bring himself to make clear that Laird's is in Birkenhead, not Liverpool. What is it with these broadcasters? Do they think we're too thick to deal with any name other than Liverpool?

Yes I watched it, looked like a patchwork of other previous programmes put together to pad the hour out, certainly the western approaches clips which was a stand alone programme, and the launching of Ark Royal and boaty Mc boatface all been shown before, a bit disappointing
Posted By: cools Re: River Mersey , then and now - 24th Jul 2020 11:45am
It was good but as stated a lot I've seen before, but it was worth watching again.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: River Mersey , then and now - 24th Jul 2020 12:13pm
Originally Posted by yoller
What is it with these broadcasters? Do they think we're too thick to deal with any name other than Liverpool?

It's as if Wirral doesn't exist and it is just a different part of Liverpool, haha!
Posted By: bri445 Re: River Mersey , then and now - 30th Jul 2020 2:09pm
I heard on some programme a few days ago that Ness Gardens is in Liverpool!!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: River Mersey , then and now - 31st Jul 2020 9:37am
Ness Gardens website is https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/ness-gardens/ and that will also make people think it is in Liverpool, similar to the Royal Liverpool golf course in Hoylake.
Posted By: Harp1st Re: River Mersey , then and now - 9th Aug 2020 10:45am
I've noticed that geography is not a strong point with many people. As a Birkonian ex-pat I get it all the time - "Oh, Birkenhead's in Liverpool ". No it jolly well is not!
Posted By: locomotive Re: River Mersey , then and now - 9th Aug 2020 6:49pm
I posted this last week under a different heading, but worth a re-post,
On the Chase on ITV one of the contetants said she was from Bromborough, Wirral which she said was the posh part of Liverpool, bet that went down well with her neighbours.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral