Forums
Posted By: cools Tribe next door - 23rd Oct 2019 1:30pm
Watched this show last night and was quite disgusted with it . The Moffat family in Namibia living with the Himbu tribe and their replica house had been built , washing machine, dish washer everything .
Then they each showed how they lived in their respective lives. It just made me feel ashamed of how we live wasting water food etc while the Himbu have to walk miles to get their water and work hard to get food etc.
I always admire people who can live off grid and seem to me to be living life as it should be but recognise the fact that I am too used to western life and couldn't live that way. This stupid show introducing these things to these people who hadn't even seen a mirror thinking it water on a wall just may unsettle their way of life. They quite happy with their lot , why wreck their way of life , we've already wrecked ours..
Anybody else see it, and what are your thoughts?
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Tribe next door - 23rd Oct 2019 4:31pm
Channel 4 must really be scraping the barrel for ideas now... I didn't watch it as the whole thing just made me feel very uncomfortable. Yes, we probably do need a wake-up call on what's really important in life, but messing with the heads of people who were getting on pretty well in their own way without all our tatt and trappings just seems morally wrong to me. It's a new slant on the rich/poor swap show format; I can't help wondering what the after-effects will be?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Tribe next door - 23rd Oct 2019 9:30pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Channel 4 must really be scraping the barrel for ideas now... I didn't watch it as the whole thing just made me feel very uncomfortable. Yes, we probably do need a wake-up call on what's really important in life, but messing with the heads of people who were getting on pretty well in their own way without all our tatt and trappings just seems morally wrong to me. It's a new slant on the rich/poor swap show format; I can't help wondering what the after-effects will be?

I agree
Posted By: granny Re: Tribe next door - 23rd Oct 2019 10:25pm

Didn't see it Cools, but my reaction to your description of the programme , leads me to agree with your sympathies and Greenwood's comments. Unforgiveable, really .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral