Forums
Posted By: cools Violent Playground - 30th Jun 2018 10:33am
This old movie 1958 was filmed in Liverpool Gerrard Gardens etc. Can't recall having seen it but have heard of it. Just noticed it's on tonight 9-10 pm on Talking Movies channel (81) on Freeview, don't know what this channel is called on others. Thought some others may want to have a look....
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Violent Playground - 30th Jun 2018 11:08am
Also on youtube
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Violent Playground - 30th Jun 2018 7:28pm
No particular shots of Liverpool and a distinctive lack of Scouse/ Merseyside accents. Good film, otherwise.
Posted By: granny Re: Violent Playground - 1st Jul 2018 11:06pm
Originally Posted by cools
This old movie 1958 was filmed in Liverpool Gerrard Gardens etc. Can't recall having seen it but have heard of it. Just noticed it's on tonight 9-10 pm on Talking Movies channel (81) on Freeview, don't know what this channel is called on others. Thought some others may want to have a look....

Just watched this , Cools. Quite enjoyed it. Thinking back, I suppose there were many young people who had grievances about the aftermath of the war. Fathers killed or injured and unable to either provide for their children or even be civil from stress related symptoms. Liverpool , including Scotland Road, bombed to smithereens , and although this film is not a true story, there must have been an element of the rise of gang culture. The 'Teddy Boys' also came into the equation around then.
I remember Scotland Road well, at that point in time. Taking the bus into the town centre, Scotland Road and surrounding areas were flattened and dismal. Like life had rejected it. I remember seeing Gerrard Gardens, the pubs and churches on Scotland Road, the waste ground that was heaving in rubble and it took years to clear after the war . It was still waste land 15 yrs after the war.
The portrayal of the area in the film I thought was very good, it was filmed on location in the Gerrard Gardens vicinity , only the interior scenes were shot Pinewood Studios.
We must also remember that there was a large Irish and Scottish community it that area during those years, and the Liverpool accent was like dishwater, compared to the grating and virtually uninterpretable Liverpool accent now.

Interesting, thanks.

Posted By: granny Re: Violent Playground - 2nd Jul 2018 5:42am
One of Cilla Black's early interviews. Her accent changed for he media as the years moved on and for some reason everyone copied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcQDKl_TpDw
Posted By: cools Re: Violent Playground - 2nd Jul 2018 9:30am
I wasn't that impressed with this movie, thought the acting was pretty poor. David McCallum didn't suit the tough guy image to me. I know it was an old movie but I've seen lots of others about that time which were really good. If ever you get the chance Granny watch the old movie 14 , about a family of 14 kids and the struggle the oldest has to keep them together. Set in EastEnd of London June cotton in it dead young. I agree about the scouse accent , it's really thick and horrible these days with the young ones it wasn't always like this . I do enjoy my old movies though ,love talking movies channel.
Posted By: casper Re: Violent Playground - 2nd Jul 2018 2:46pm
It reminds me of something I heard on either the wireless or TV some years ago, it was about Cilla appearing in a panto Jack and the beanstalk if I recall rightly, the giant appears and Cilla shouts out oh worra am I gonna do, and a young wag in the audience shouts out sing to him, only in Liverpool.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Violent Playground - 2nd Jul 2018 3:01pm
Originally Posted by casper
It reminds me of something I heard on either the wireless or TV some years ago, it was about Cilla appearing in a panto Jack and the beanstalk if I recall rightly, the giant appears and Cilla shouts out oh worra am I gonna do, and a young wag in the audience shouts out sing to him, only in Liverpool.

Its not just me that finds most musicals totally corny then.
Posted By: Kylix Re: Violent Playground - 6th Jul 2018 9:16pm
I thought the young Freddy Starr came across OK.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral