Forums
Posted By: cools A house through time - 3rd Jan 2018 5:30pm
This looks an interesting programme. On BBC2 9pm tomorrow night. Featuring a house on Faulkner Street Liverpool and looking at all the people who have lived there through time. Sounds quite good.
Posted By: Norton Re: A house through time - 3rd Jan 2018 5:33pm
More info at http://wirralview.com/news/wirral-archives-treasure-features-new-bbc2-history-series
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 3rd Jan 2018 5:54pm
That's a brilliant print of Cammell Laird's isn't it? Those lovely old three masted sailing ships..wonder what that building was on right, factory, warehouse? It reminds me of a plantation house deep South of America. Gone with the wind type.
Posted By: bert1 Re: A house through time - 3rd Jan 2018 6:04pm
Originally Posted by cools
That's a brilliant print of Cammell Laird's isn't it? Those lovely old three masted sailing ships..wonder what that building was on right, factory, warehouse? It reminds me of a plantation house deep South of America. Gone with the wind type.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/688412/any-info-on-monks-ferry-hotel.html
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 3rd Jan 2018 6:20pm
Thanks for that Bert.Very interesting.
Posted By: granny Re: A house through time - 3rd Jan 2018 9:26pm
Thanks Cools. Looks interesting. Will definitely watch.
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 4th Jan 2018 10:12pm
Well I found that really interesting and am looking forward to next weeks..what a lovely grand house it is they are featuring.
Posted By: venice Re: A house through time - 4th Jan 2018 10:41pm
Very good indeed. Who'd be a servant in those days though !*shudders*
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 4th Jan 2018 10:51pm
I know what you mean Venice but surprisingly it was the servant who made it to the top in this programme, he was the one who owned properties in Birkenhead etc.. I always feel for the kids in the workhouses it must have been so hard.
Posted By: granny Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 12:40am

Really enjoyed it. What I found particularly interesting was the history connected to the cotton industry and his trip to America to fight. Thought of by the researcher as brave and heroic.
People do the same today and are called mercenaries and terrorists ! Ha !
Posted By: Excoriator Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 2:00am
Missed the beginning. Who owns it now?

Bet it's some dodgy media Grrr!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 4:22pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator

Its yours for £600,000 CLICKY
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 5:43pm
Well first posting 14 December 2017 so think Rosie young working mother with 2 children is taking full advantage of this programme and why not.. It certainly comes with it's own provenance....Should imagine she will get alot of folk just going for a nose although at that price they'll know their market.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 6:00pm
This looks interesting, however i have missed the first screening so i may see if it is available at a later date.

Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by Excoriator

Its yours for £600,000 CLICKY

That is an absolute joke of a price, the place doesnt even have parking facilities never mind no garden.

Dreamers
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 6:06pm
Repeated tomorrow night BBC2 7-15pm. Well worth watching really interesting.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 6:12pm
Originally Posted by cools
Repeated tomorrow night BBC2 7-15pm. Well worth watching really interesting.

Great, thanks cools.
Posted By: venice Re: A house through time - 5th Jan 2018 10:37pm
Ste - If you thinkthe Falkner St properties arent worth it, dont look at any Estate agent adverts for tiddly ex council flats or tiny terrace houses without parking or gardens in grubby areas of London, youll have a coronary!!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: A house through time - 11th Jan 2018 10:59am
Was a good programme, looking forward to the next episode. Its a nice part of town, with some great pubs and amazing churches if you like architecture.
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 11th Jan 2018 4:03pm
Don't forget peeps, second one tonight BBC2 9pm..I'm looking forward to it.
Posted By: assassin Re: A house through time - 11th Jan 2018 5:08pm
I lived at Faulkner Place (where the new women's hospital is now)in the 70s/80s which was over the way from Faulkner st

There was film/tv crew there most of the time filming some period drama I moved just after the 81 riots
Posted By: cools Re: A house through time - 25th Jan 2018 10:11pm
Just watched the last one if this, quite sad because I really enjoyed it soooo interesting. I will look out for more of this programme, I think there has been others but I've not seen them. Obviously being Liverpool made it good, close to home as it where...Houses telling their stories love it..
Posted By: venice Re: A house through time - 26th Jan 2018 1:55pm
Thought last nights was the most interesting of the series . I enjoyed that more general history of the area was also included.
Posted By: thesilentenigma Re: A house through time - 26th Jan 2018 5:54pm
yes it was interesting but in times of housing hardship how come a woman and 2 children are rattling around in a massive urban mansion? And where did she get the dosh as before she came on screen the presenter said the house would suit a rich modern day merchant. Anyone know owt about her?
Posted By: venice Re: A house through time - 27th Jan 2018 12:35am
Could be shes divorced with a fat settlement, a writer, runs a business from home or whatever. Dont think it said she didnt work ?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: A house through time - 27th Jan 2018 1:21am
Originally Posted by thesilentenigma
yes it was interesting but in times of housing hardship how come a woman and 2 children are rattling around in a massive urban mansion? And where did she get the dosh as before she came on screen the presenter said the house would suit a rich modern day merchant. Anyone know owt about her?

Whoah! Why the judgement?
Posted By: thesilentenigma Re: A house through time - 28th Jan 2018 2:10pm
It's not judgement, it's a story halftold. if the programme is going into minute detail but the lives of everyone who has lived in that house it seems strange to leave a mystery at the end.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral