Forums
Posted By: venice The Sand Wars. - 19th Dec 2017 12:38pm
Another cracking Al Jezeera documentary . The story of how the demand for sand for both manufacture and building across the developed world , is causing a disaster in the countries its taken from. Many islands have disappeared below the sea after its sand has been raided, whilst the likes of Singapore is in the process of increasing its landmass by 20% with imported sand.
The maffia control it all, and even worst,as land sand runs short, corruption is seeing the wrong sort of sea sand being used for new high rise buildings. Time Bomb.

First few minutes a bit slow, but really an eye opening watch.

http://sand-wars.com/
Posted By: Excoriator Re: The Sand Wars. - 19th Dec 2017 5:23pm
Never mind. There is every chance of the sandbars being replaced with discarded plastic bars.

I seem to recall reading of some researcher who is trying to include it in concrete in an attempt to make some use of it as well as reducing the demand for sand. Given most plastic gets brittle as it ages, I'm a bit sceptical, but good luck to him anyway.
Posted By: granny Re: The Sand Wars. - 19th Dec 2017 10:19pm

Briefly, moving away from the sand to the plastic.

China’s plastic scrap ban threatens ‘crisis’ for UK recycling industry

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2017/12/07/china-plastic-scrap-ban-crisis-uk-recycling/
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The Sand Wars. - 19th Dec 2017 10:39pm
I would like to know how the process of making Thermo Poly Rock (TPR) is done.
This can take plastics (not sure which plastics) from a tip and converts them into Thermo Poly Rock (TPR) and makes panels that could be used to make warmer, stronger and waterproof (prefabricated) homes. This could cut down on plastic waste and make it easier to build more homes.

click
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Sand Wars. - 19th Dec 2017 11:01pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
I would like to know how the process of making Thermo Poly Rock (TPR) is done.

"....mixes granulated plastic waste with a mineral/resin compound. The finished product—which pours like concrete and dries in 2½ hours—is produced for about 12 percent less than standard bricks or blocks, and doesn’t have anywhere near the carbon footprint of composites made from plastics melted at high temperatures."

Just as a mention Biffa buy plastic waste off companies.
Posted By: Habdab Re: The Sand Wars. - 20th Dec 2017 11:54am
I wonder how well it burns? I don't think I'd like a plastic brick
house.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral