Forums
Posted By: cools Assisted dying - 10th Feb 2016 10:41pm
Just watched a very sad programme on BBC2 called How to die Simons Choice. Anybody else watch it? It documented the decline through Motor Nuerone disease of a very successful guy who loved life and everybody loved him andof his decision to end his life in Switzerland . I really think it should be allowed to happen here, these poor people could have a little longer with their loved ones if they knew someone would be able to do it at home . Morbid subject I know but found it really thought provoking.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Assisted dying - 10th Feb 2016 11:05pm
Well cools I agree totally!!! Its a bitter sweet subject. The " locked in your own body syndrome" is another one were I think many end there own lives, if they suffer from it. You are conscious but paralyzed, very cruel, who would want to live with that or like it.
Posted By: cools Re: Assisted dying - 10th Feb 2016 11:11pm
Yes Lollipop, horribly cruel.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Assisted dying - 10th Feb 2016 11:50pm
Watched my own mum die racked with parkinsons --the last couple of years were heart breaking. She would never have been in a position in those last couple of years to make an informed decision. We were given a "choice"in Hospital at one point when an illness on top of the parkinsons meant she was given a feeding tube or basically left to die. We were persuaded by another nurse who said lots of people live decent lives with a peg tube. Well she did live a bit longer but wasn't any real quality of life. Our decision kept her "alive" for a couple more years ---in hindsight not sure it was the right decision.

We chose this verse from the Bible that seemed so fitting that she had left behind a body wracked with parkinsons for an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled

1 Peter
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Assisted dying - 12th Feb 2016 9:28am
I have never understood how not putting an animal down when it's suffering is "Cruelty to animals" yet when it's humans suffering the same or worse it's wrong to play "God".

When a patient is diagnosed with a a condition that is terminal or will gradually reduce them to be in constant pain and unable to communicate they should be given a choice. A detailed frank discussion should take place whilst the patient has the mindset to say whether they wish to have assisted dying or shall we say "Put to sleep" as it apparently is ok for our loving animals.

A family member was given given 3 months to live last year, I know that near then end they said if they knew bad the last 2-3 weeks of life pain wise would have been they would have pre booked Switzerland at the start.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Assisted dying - 14th Feb 2016 4:48pm
I shall be watching the programme later; I recorded it. It's unfortunate that the recent Assisted Dying Bill was defeated in the commons by a large margin. That was a surprise, since Lord Falconer's identical Bill had made excellent progress in the Lords in the last parliament.
Anyone considering Switzerland as a possibility needs to know that it costs about £8000.
Those of you who have been around here for a while will know that I've made my own provisions for a peaceful exit, using the same drug as is used in Switzerland, if my life becomes unacceptable: that's gradually getting nearer since my lung function continues to deteriorate.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Assisted dying - 14th Feb 2016 6:08pm
It was an incredible program and so moving - I sobbed all the way through.
The Simon and his wife were so strong throughout and their network of family and friends must have been a huge help.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral