Forums
Posted By: cools Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 12:32pm
Wasn't Downton just lovely girls (and the few boys that like it)...won't spoil it for anyone but shed a tear or two and thoroughly enjoyed it....will miss it but look forward now to Mr Selfridge 8th January and Jerico looks quite good too..
Posted By: Mark Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 2:46pm
Ive not watched it, im sure it will hit the likes of Netflix in the near future.

Maybe give it a go back to back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 3:15pm
Cools, just about to watch it in half hour when we've eaten. Can't wait x
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 4:30pm
I thought there was a complete lack of anything happening, should have been 15 mins instead of two hours.

I was left wondering whether the script writers were making sure the programme is never resurrected.
Posted By: cools Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 7:12pm
Well I loved it..tied up all the ends for me and ended how I wanted it to...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 8:35pm
Still not seen it cools. Had a long phone call to a cousin of mine in oz, then had to play barbers shop play doh with my little one. So will try again later x
Posted By: cools Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 8:40pm
Sure you will enjoy it lollipop...wish I hadn't seen it could have watched it now not much else on that I'm interested in tonight. x
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 10:31pm
I have never seen a single episode of Downturn Abbey. I can't abide period dramas. People in them behave in such an unnatural way, and they miss irritating details such as books which are always old and yellowed as those that survived are today. Has it not occurred to them that at the time being depicted, they were NEW?

Also I laugh at horse drawn carriages. Inevitably they are shown bowling along a road which has grass free tracks for the wheels but pure pristine grass where the horses run. Surely it can't be just me that realises this is exactly what you get with horseless carriages? If they were used by horses, it would be grass free and probably badly poached in the centre of the road.

There are many other ridiculous anachronisms with which I won't bore you, but for me anyway, they are best avoided.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Finale Downton abbey - 26th Dec 2015 11:34pm
Your dead right not to more us with anymore. Yawn!!
Posted By: granny Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 12:13am
Cools, I enjoyed the final episode although I do think the last two episodes seemed to be rushed and all sewn up more rapidly than they should have been., Not enough material to make another series but too many loose ends that needed to be tied up.
So pleased Granny didn't die, and that there was no miserable ending.

I think Julian Fellows is a brilliant writer, and so far as incidentals are concerned in period dramas, it is the story line that is the interest, not if the lady wears cami knickers or bloomers. Most period dramas are in fact pretty accurate in detail.

For example ; books in the 1800 were made differently, the paper made from wood shavings was not bleached and therefore was never white like todays books. Kept in damp places they also got 'foxing' which is small brown spots or blotches. so maybe the film makers have got it right after all !

Anyway, I shall miss it as much as you Cools, but by the time next September comes around......maybe something just as good will grace our screens. I wonder if Fish bought his wife the box set ?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 10:09am
Nothing but whingeing from the missus as talk talk naf internet was too slow for her to watch it on catch up as it kept buffering.think she finally managed to get through it last night. Must have liked it as she brought me a cup of tea this morning. Kids got her a boxed set of DA so that should keep her quiet till 2016 ......now wheres those fishing rods?
Posted By: casper Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 6:40pm
Of course its not true to life, its entertainment, but they had a good try at bringing it to the small screen, nice tale, watchable, wife enjoyed it, would have been no good if they had all been sacked for misdemeanors as in the bad old days, worth watching for the Dame Maggie Smith putdowns.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 6:46pm
I do think the producer should have made more of an effort to put more Drama into it,The last episode was boring .
One of these programs you sit and wait for something exciting to happen and it never does.

Posted By: cools Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 7:23pm
Oh it seems just me thought Downton was great...I'm just do much of a fan that they could have just sat around and I would have enjoyed it. Don't soppose they could do much else as it was a case of just tidying up and letting us know how everyone fared. Couldn't really start anymore storylines with it ending , I just liked the way everyone was made happy , Edith and the Bates and even Barrow made good it made me feel happy...
Posted By: snowhite Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 7:33pm
Originally Posted by cools
Oh it seems just me thought Downton was great...I'm just do much of a fan that they could have just sat around and I would have enjoyed it. Don't soppose they could do much else as it was a case of just tidying up and letting us know how everyone fared. Couldn't really start anymore storylines with it ending , I just liked the way everyone was made happy , Edith and the Bates and even Barrow made good it made me feel happy...
Glad you enjoyed it Cools ,Maybe others did too.
I did love the huge xmas tree and deco though lol.
I bet you looking forward to watching Mr selfrdge.
Posted By: cools Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 7:42pm
Ooh yes I am Snowy, I just love all these period dramas bring on more for me. I bet people are saying " she needs to get a life that one ". Thinking of joining one of the amateur dramatics group this year...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 8:51pm
Good for you, Cools. Who cares what people think? I don't.

Not a fan of D.A myself but it's 'switch off' Tele so enjoy it, if that's your thing. I'm looking forward to CBB - although the C is up for debate, going by the leaked lists!
Posted By: snowhite Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 9:07pm
Originally Posted by cools
Ooh yes I am Snowy, I just love all these period dramas bring on more for me. I bet people are saying " she needs to get a life that one ". Thinking of joining one of the amateur dramatics group this year...
Not all Cools.Its nice to put your feet up and enjoy what you want to watch.
Posted By: cools Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 9:15pm
Oh Rude CBB, I always say I'm not going to be drawn into that rubbish but of course I will be, lol. Dread it coming on actually upsets my tv schedule...
Posted By: Anonymous still noRe: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 9:22pm
Still not Watched it cools for one reason or another but will do x
Posted By: cools still noRe: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 9:24pm
Hope we haven't spoilt it for you lollipop by discussing it x
Posted By: Anonymous still noRe: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 9:32pm
I've not really read them since I seen the gran doesn't die. So no its okay. Just watching second half of the Agatha Christie. Very complicated. X
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 11:30pm
Your dead right not to more us with anymore. Yawn!!

Hahahahaha! 'More you!' indeed. And it's 'you're' by the way, not 'your'.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Finale Downton abbey - 27th Dec 2015 11:54pm
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Finale Downton abbey - 28th Dec 2015 8:24am
I enjoyed it too.The reason for this was the brilliant script,the characters,wonderful clothes,old cars,beautiful settings. It might be tosh but do we always have to watch things that portray life as gritty and unfair. Sunday evening is for being lazy and watching any thing that takes our fancy, before the busy week starts again.
Posted By: cools Re: Finale Downton abbey - 28th Dec 2015 8:48am
Excoriator the words Pedantic ---- Spring to mind about you!!
Posted By: granny Re: Finale Downton abbey - 30th Dec 2015 1:08pm
Oh yes !

ANOTHER 'period drama'.

War and Peace. 9pm Sunday BBC. happy
Posted By: snowhite Re: Finale Downton abbey - 30th Dec 2015 5:33pm
This not a period drama,but its coming back next month.
The series is called....Silent witness.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral