Forums
Posted By: chriskay Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 12:51pm
Monday 6 Jan. 6.30 p.m. BBC2. Michael Portillo starts another of his railway journeys. He visits Port Sunlight and ends up in Birkenhead. It will be interesting to see where he chooses to stay.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 12:54pm
Thanks for the heads up
I love that show

George Francis Train

Quote off wikipedia
"In 1860 he went to England to found horse tramway companies in Birkenhead and London, where he soon met opposition. He was also involved in the construction of a short-lived horse tramway in Cork, Ireland.[1] Although his trams were popular with passengers, his designs had rails that stood above the road surface and obstructed other traffic. In 1861 Train was arrested and tried for "breaking and injuring" a London street.[2] He tried again with the Darlington Street Railroad Company in 1862, but it was short-lived and closed in 1865"
Posted By: SUExx Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 2:02pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Monday 6 Jan. 6.30 p.m. BBC2. Michael Portillo starts another of his railway journeys. He visits Port Sunlight and ends up in Birkenhead. It will be interesting to see where he chooses to stay.

Yes he was in port sunlight last summer filming, ive looked in tv mag for this coming week and port sunlight isnt on so will have to keep checking.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 2:09pm
Originally Posted by SUExx
Originally Posted by chriskay

Yes he was in port sunlight last summer filming, ive looked in tv mag for this coming week and port sunlight isnt on so will have to keep checking.

My info. came from Radio Times.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 2:29pm
On the bbc website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pmrvk
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 3:04pm
Just watched the Liverpool to Eccles show on iplayer and he walks around Birkenhead park and talks a little about it
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 3:56pm
I saw that episode about Liverpool and Birkenhead on BBC2 yesterday. Very interesting.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Great railway journeys - 5th Jan 2014 4:43pm
Originally Posted by mikeeb

Silly me lol, I was looking for some mention of port sunlight.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral