Forums
Posted By: granny Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 3:29pm
Two horses killed near Gallopers Lane, on Barnston Road, Thingwall ,yesterday at about 3pm.

One killed at the scene, the other died at the vets.

Driver didn't stop according to local info !

Any witnesses ?
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:08pm
Absolutely gross. To think we are sharing the roads with ... like that... over-revving on purpose. Two girls were unhurt - physically at least. That driver needs to be caught and charged. There were pictures on Facebook, some of which had been blanked out for being too graphic. Horrible injuries to poor horses. This is the text from the FB post: Information required regarding equine accident*
Thingwall Road by the Bassett hound
My daughter and her friend have been involved in an accident, both came off their Horses after pleading with a driver to slow down and stop revving engine.
One Horse is dead and the other at the Equine Hospital, in a bad way with extensive injuries.
Riders are safe
If anyone can provide any information or has been witness, anything at all. Contact me immediately.
The fact a Horse is dead due to an incompetent selfish driver, is bad enough and to not stop when two teenagers dismounted in such a way is despicable.
I thank God alone that both my daughter and her friend are not dead but I will not stop until someone is held responsible for this avoidable accident.
I have a heartbroken daughter and I have just watched an innocent Horse be put to sleep.
The injuries to the other horse are indescribable.
Please share
Posted By: cools Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:25pm
It was distressing to see those photos I didn’t open the more graphic ones. It looks like both horses are now dead as the injuries were too severe. The girls were really lucky , poor horses..
Posted By: granny Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:42pm

I haven't seen it on FB.. Have looked but can't find anything .

Terrible ! A horse could have landed on either of those girls too. A deliberate act by the driver !
Posted By: cools Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:44pm
I’ve seen it on Wirral Crimewatch Granny..
Posted By: granny Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:53pm

Thanks for that, Greenwood
Posted By: granny Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:54pm
Originally Posted by cools
I’ve seen it on Wirral Crimewatch Granny..

Cheers, Cools
Posted By: granny Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 5:55pm

The little shop 'Thingwall Stores' have cctv. It might help identify something.
Posted By: cools Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 6:00pm
Think I saw a post saying they’d identified the car and gave description silver BMW , don’t know for sure..
Posted By: granny Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 6:08pm

We hope ! You'd think there would have been other vehicles and people around at the time. It's a busy road.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 7:19pm
It was distressing to see those photos I didn’t open the more graphic ones. It looks like both horses are now dead as the injuries were too severe. The girls were really lucky , poor horses..

One horse "Leo" has been saved I believe.
Posted By: cools Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 7:33pm
Hope he has , just a couple of posts I saw saying I quote “ unfortunately the other horse has had to be put down” . Let’s hope he has survived.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Horses Killed - 17th Jan 2021 8:30pm
Hope he has , just a couple of posts I saw saying I quote “ unfortunately the other horse has had to be put down” . Let’s hope he has survived.

Yes, it was a bit vague. I don't think Leo is out the woods yet, it was a massive amount of damage. Pity a horseshoe didn't go through the windscreen on the drivers side. There is one thing being careless and another being intentionally reckless.

Posted By: lincle Re: Horses Killed - 18th Jan 2021 11:16am
Fingers crossed for Leo ,hope he has survived & recovers both physically & mentally .
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Horses Killed - 18th Jan 2021 5:24pm
Horse riding is a dangerous pastime.

In my life I've seen more accidents where horse riders have been hurt than I've seen road traffic accidents. Given the comparative numbers of the two forms of transport I'd be very worried if any member of my family took it up.

I don't know what happened in this case, but horses panic easily and unpredictably and it may not all have been all the driver's fault. He should certainly have stopped however. Driving off is inexcusable.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Horses Killed - 25th Jan 2021 6:38pm
Originally Posted by granny

I haven't seen it on FB.. Have looked but can't find anything .

Terrible ! A horse could have landed on either of those girls too. A deliberate act by the driver !

Hi Granny

It was on the Irby facebook page.. Couple of 16 year olds on the horses. From a police report it suggested one horse had spooked BEFORE the alleged car arrived on the scene. This car according to the girls failed to slow down when it saw the spooked horse thus causing the other horse to spook and bolt. The girls said the car was revving its engine and failed to slow down. I dont think the car actually hit a horse..injuries were sustained with them bolting. Driver failed to stop..#. Keeping away from by you what with roofs being struck by lightning..
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Horses Killed - 25th Jan 2021 9:50pm
Regardless of the first horse that was spooked ......

The second horse with rider moved to the centre of the road to shield the spooked horse and control traffic.

The car went past at speed regardless, spooking the second horse whose rider then got thrown to the road.
Posted By: granny Re: Horses Killed - 26th Jan 2021 9:06am
Both horses made their way back to the stables and it's a bit confusing, as one still had it's rider . Which one, I'm not sure , but the one that died crashed into a post , so how the second got it's injuries ,I don't know.

Hi Fish, hi nice to see you pop up here.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Horses Killed - 27th Jan 2021 3:34am
The second one, Leo, was injured when it tried to jump some farm equipment some distance away.

Leo now has some infected tissue and some flesh that isn't recovering properly.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral