Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Pavement Parking - 12th Mar 2020 1:21pm
The whole of the UK could soon follow London in making parking on pavements illegal - but is it the right thing to do?
The Department for Transport (DfT) has announced it’s considering bringing the rest of the country in line with the capital’s rules – which could land drivers with a £70 fine.
If you are parking along a narrow road, where parking wholly on the road would stop other cars, and particularly emergency vehicles, from getting through, then it is a sensible option to park partially on a pavement, providing there are no parking restrictions and providing you are not blocking a wheelchair user or pram from using the pavement.

I usually pick up and drop off my 2 little grandsons from an estate in Rock Ferry and find that if I didn't park on the pavement I wouldn't get anywhere near to their house, the streets all round there with pavement parking

Is this another way of getting more money easily out of motorists.
There are some roads in Birkenhead with no houses or businesses where they have parking meters just in case the odd motorist parks there.
I would hope new house building would have front garden parking or the road wide enough to allow car parking on either side.
Posted By: casper Re: Pavement Parking - 12th Mar 2020 1:34pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
The whole of the UK could soon follow London in making parking on pavements illegal - but is it the right thing to do?
The Department for Transport (DfT) has announced it’s considering bringing the rest of the country in line with the capital’s rules – which could land drivers with a £70 fine.
If you are parking along a narrow road, where parking wholly on the road would stop other cars, and particularly emergency vehicles, from getting through, then it is a sensible option to park partially on a pavement, providing there are no parking restrictions and providing you are not blocking a wheelchair user or pram from using the pavement.

I usually pick up and drop off my 2 little grandsons from an estate in Rock Ferry and find that if I didn't park on the pavement I wouldn't get anywhere near to their house, the streets all round there with pavement parking

Is this another way of getting more money easily out of motorists.
There are some roads in Birkenhead with no houses or businesses where they have parking meters just in case the odd motorist parks there.
I would hope new house building would have front garden parking or the road wide enough to allow car parking on either side.

Something does need to be done about pavement parking, I understand the need to keep roads clear and this can be done by people using common sense, allowing enough space for prams and the disabled, sadly the me first brigade have ruined it , parking four wheels on the kerb on junctions on lowered kerbs, in fact anywhere they can fit their cars regardless, we have two works vans close by that park four wheels on the kerb, parking has gone the same way as cycling on the pavement no control just a free for all, who cares not much chance of being caught no control, so yes there does need to be some regulation.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pavement Parking - 12th Mar 2020 2:46pm
It can't happen, it would mean effectively banning something like 20%(?) of the population from having a car. The problems are usually in high population density areas.

In some areas you find end-of-street or behind-street car parks in terraced areas but these are gradually getting eaten up by the ridiculous house building programmes.

Its only a very small number of years ago that the Government was dictating the MAXIMUM number of parking spaces on new developments which certainly hasn't helped, more people forced to park on the streets. Some Councils still haven't reversed those rules.

A sensible approach is required but being a tory Government they are probably hoping there will be more private car parks to extract yet more money from poorer areas.
Posted By: keef666 Re: Pavement Parking - 17th Mar 2020 10:17am
I far as i am aware, it is illegal to park on the pavement, and it used to be a £400 fine if you did get a ticket, but some roads are so narrow and the need to allow other traffic to use said road people park on/off, so maybe the council need to sort something out when they build new housing estates to make the roads wider or build driveways on to the news home they get built.
But then we wouldn't need parking enforcement officers dishing out parking tickets which means less money for the council!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pavement Parking - 17th Mar 2020 12:14pm
It’s illegal to drive on the pavement if it hasn’t got a legal dropped kerb.

It’s not illegal to park on the pavement but you can get done for obstruction (as indeed you can on the road as well).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral