Forums
Posted By: Greenwood Travellers on Upton Meadow - 29th Jun 2017 8:17pm
A group of five or six caravans, a wagon and a digger arrived there this evening. Forced the lock on the gate by Upton Cricket Club roundabout. Don't know how long it will take to shift them or if they wil move on of their own accord, but if past experience is anything to go by, there will be a right mess left when they do go. This is such a peaceful green area between Upton and Greasby, it will be a crying shame if they make a mess of it. I don't know what the counci's record is on shifting travellers but the land is leased to the Woodland Trust, so I'm not sure where the responsibility lies.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 29th Jun 2017 8:34pm
They left from by butlers skip yard in wallasey about 2 weeks ago leaving behind what I would think to be at least a hundred ton of rubbish and rubble. But hey how someone else can foot the bill to clean it up. Pikey ... !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 29th Jun 2017 8:44pm
Perhaps if you build a few authorised permenant sites over there, this upset could be avoided. They would have somewhere to go then.

Oh hold on, you've just given us £ 1bn....you've no money left. Lol

Posted By: Dilly Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 29th Jun 2017 10:09pm
Perhaps if we could just shoot them !!!
Posted By: Madge Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 29th Jun 2017 10:20pm
If you or i forced a lock on a gate to a private area and set up our caravan what would happen ? whatever the action we would receive is what should happen to them, and no i dont think we should set up areas as they dont pay tax so why should we spend our tax money on providing services for them, Have you seen the money these people spend on things ? well maybe they can all club together and buy land to park up somewhere,
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 7:37am
Someone has said that they are there legitimately to do work on The Twelfth Man and have had permission to use the Meadow; clarification is awaited on this, as you can't get any sense out of anyone outside working hours, but it sounds a bit far-fetched to me.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 7:43am
I don't think they do anything legitimately!
Posted By: granny Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 10:00am
The whole idea of travellers is that they want to travel. Not have permanent residence. Makes it easier to evade prosecution in times of trouble ! If you get the meaning ?
It would be beneficial if someone would be able to see their registration numbers, it could be useful when things start disappearing off peoples drives.
I don't like them, and hope they are not allowed to stay there, it's too residential and they need to go further into the country. In fact, thinking about it, they've got a bloody cheek, by walking all over every law in the book that we have to abide by ! A bad precedence set and allowed, as only a matter of time before there will be illegal immigrant travellers.
Hmmm ? Maybe official camps might be the answer and register on arrival. Allowed to sat for a couple of weeks, if that's the life they choose, then move to the next. Maybe you're right Lolli.
Posted By: granny Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 10:02am
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Someone has said that they are there legitimately to do work on The Twelfth Man and have had permission to use the Meadow; clarification is awaited on this, as you can't get any sense out of anyone outside working hours, but it sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

If they were legitimate, why would they force locks on gates and be parked up on private land ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 11:30am
I would like this thread...frozen and archived.

Granny has given me a " maybe iam right"

I've only just come too from the shock!!!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 1:25pm
They are not working on the Twelfth Man - someone was taken in by their blagging yesterday evening. Nice try, guys... Police, Woodland Trust and councillors are on the case; rubbish has already been dumped at this lovely spot.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 7:35pm
They will be doing the rounds offering rubbish removal and driveways resurfaced. Knocked one back once and he banged his hand into my car as he walked off ...tw*t.
Ok live a travelling life but don't go around conning and ripping off people and leaving each place like a *hithole.
Posted By: granny Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 30th Jun 2017 11:33pm
Originally Posted by lollipop
I would like this thread...frozen and archived.

Granny has given me a " maybe iam right"

I've only just come too from the shock!!!

Don't get too excited Lolli, you've reached that dangerous age now !
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 1st Jul 2017 10:32pm
The group has grown. There's going to be an awful mess to clear up when they are finally shifted; they are dumping their sewage, general rubbish, rubble from any work they have managed to do for local people etc. You can bet your buttons they won't be bagging and binning the waste from their dogs, either. Such a blatant disrespect for the land.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 1st Jul 2017 10:40pm
Do not approach Greenwood.... I repeat stay away.....lol
Posted By: Dilly Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 2nd Jul 2017 7:53am
They are filth just like cockeroaches, they have no good purpose on this planet.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 2nd Jul 2017 9:59am
Bit of drone footage of their encampment would be interesting.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 2nd Jul 2017 10:06pm
Yes, it certainly would - unless they have air rifles or similar and could take the drone down, which would be a shame for whoever owned it! Maybe an oblique view from a safe distance might be achieved if anyone wanted to have a go.
Posted By: venice Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 2nd Jul 2017 10:27pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
They are filth just like cockeroaches, they have no good purpose on this planet.

Why sit on the fence Dilly? Just come out with it what you really think of them !! grin grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 2nd Jul 2017 11:15pm
Originally Posted by venice
Originally Posted by Dilly

Why sit on the fence Dilly? Just come out with it what you really think of them !! grin grin

Believe me, he IS holding back!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 3rd Jul 2017 11:10am
Yes and he's going to burst when I arrive in u.k tomorrow xx

Sorry off topic !
Posted By: venice Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 3rd Jul 2017 10:35pm
Originally Posted by lollipop
Yes and he's going to burst when I arrive in u.k tomorrow xx

Sorry off topic !

God love us, not in public I hope !
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 5th Jul 2017 9:18pm
Just been announced today, they have 48 hours from Thursday morning to vacate the meadow. Of course, they won't take their rubbish with them! That's going to be a heck of a clear-up job... yuk.
Posted By: futurepast Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 5th Jul 2017 10:22pm
I am not in anyway justifying anyone illegally camping or any other illegal activities that might have or are being conducted on the Upton site at present but I do think that some of our comments on this topic have been borderline racist and definitely very very prejudiced.

Posted By: Madge Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 5th Jul 2017 10:48pm
Travellers are not a race, and i cant speak for anyone else, but my opinions of these people is formed by lots of experience,
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 5th Jul 2017 10:59pm
"prejudice"... "1.preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Proof of the pudding will be what state they leave Upton Meadow in.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 5th Jul 2017 11:12pm
Originally Posted by futurepast
I am not in anyway justifying anyone illegally camping or any other illegal activities that might have or are being conducted on the Upton site at present but I do think that some of our comments on this topic have been borderline racist and definitely very very prejudiced.

Then you are privileged to have not been threatened, or intimidated by them. You are privileged not to have your land left like a transfer station. In fact you are privileged not to have had any dealings with them as it seems you have obviously have not. They have no regard for any laws other than their own. This is from personal experience!!! I am not a racist, I'm a realist!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 5th Jul 2017 11:33pm
After years of trying to avoid creating a travellers transit site on the Wirral, the Council will be creating one (or more) within the next two years, they can no longer avoid the situation as the number of illegal sites shows there is demand - the Council's previous defence being that there was no demand.

I remember a proposal a number of years ago to have it in the A41 industrial corridor which I challenged as how are we supposed to attract new businesses if it has a travellers site (being realistic about prejudices, justified or not).

After thinking about this long and hard, the only site I can come up with is the land at the end of Riverview Road beside the Town Hall. I'm sure in that location sufficient resources would be put into sorting out any problems.

Contrary to popular belief, Council transit sites have both registrations and pitch fees. There is a side benefit that any breach of the site terms would make eviction easier presumably.
Posted By: granny Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 9:06am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

After thinking about this long and hard, the only site I can come up with is the land at the end of Riverview Road beside the Town Hall. I'm sure in that location sufficient resources would be put into sorting out any problems.

Contrary to popular belief, Council transit sites have both registrations and pitch fees. There is a side benefit that any breach of the site terms would make eviction easier presumably.

Next to the Town Hall, overlooking the river ? That would spoil the beautiful view for the tourists on the Mersey Ferry Cruise smile !! It is also a very built up area around there. I doubt the council would agree to it.

What is the land opposite Tarran Way Industrial estate ? Is that Council or maybe Cadbury's ?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...ister%202010%202011%20condensed.xls.html
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 10:11am
Originally Posted by granny
What is the land opposite Tarran Way Industrial estate ? Is that Council or maybe Cadbury's ?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...ister%202010%202011%20condensed.xls.html

Same problem as the A41 corridor, we are trying to attract businesses to that area. I think they are about to build houses on it as well.

There is no "right" area, that's why I propose to stick them under the council's noses to make sure everything stays by the book.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 2:19pm
They have now moved on (court order in place) to New Brighton dips and police are with them, someone has reported. Presumably they'll not be allowed to stay there? A clear-up operation will now have to take place on Upton Meadow.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 3:39pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
They have now moved on (court order in place) to New Brighton dips and police are with them, someone has reported. Presumably they'll not be allowed to stay there? A clear-up operation will now have to take place on Upton Meadow.

You fret too much Greenwood, these are nice people and have probably forgotten to take their sh!t with them. I feel sure they will come back and clear it up. But don't hold your breath.
Posted By: cools Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 4:04pm
I think I read that the woodland trust are going in to clean up them concrete bollards are going up to stop them getting on again.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 4:45pm
But the bollards would also stop fire engines if some idiot decides to set the woods on fire.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 4:51pm
I am wondering about those concrete bollards... the meadow is mown seasonally. Maybe they're going to put in one that can be locked in place and lifted out if necessary, to make a wide enough gap for the machinery. Ah well, wait and see I guess.
Posted By: cools Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 6:46pm
Sorry rock barriers were what they going to put up. Don't quite know what they are.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 8:35pm
Originally Posted by cools
Sorry rock barriers were what they going to put up. Don't quite know what they are.

Just big lumps of rocks placed a few feet apart that can't easily be towed out the way with a normal vehicle. They are standard equipment against land squatters, sometimes with a ditch as well to make it slightly harder.
Posted By: granny Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 6th Jul 2017 9:29pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
But the bollards would also stop fire engines if some idiot decides to set the woods on fire.

Very good point.

I doubt it's worth putting anything there. They're not likely to come back just to be moved on again.

Maybe have a supply of wheel clamps ready to use and a notice big enough to read, just so they can't pretend they didn't see it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 7th Jul 2017 4:19pm
The travellers are believed to had left the Wirral now, I hope a forwarding address has been obtained to send the bill to.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 12th Jul 2017 7:58am
Now down in Elly Port:

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/n...-lane-ellesmere-port-travellers-13316105
Posted By: granny Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 12th Jul 2017 4:01pm

They do take the biscuit, don't they ? Not only parking up in someone else's back garden, but they've even got the table chairs and sun parasol out too !! omg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Travellers on Upton Meadow - 12th Jul 2017 5:39pm
Its pathetic that a fast-track eviction system hasn't been set up.

From experience in other matters I don't see why the police don't prosecute for disturbing the peace, with Urban Exploration if you trespass and don't leave when asked the police prosecute but travellers seem to be exempt.

HMRC should pay a visit as well.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral