Forums
Posted By: Gibbo Wirral High Tides? - 13th Jan 2017 8:33am
I noticed the national news talking about high tides and flooding in the South East today, but no mention of the North West.

I'm no weather expert but did a lot of observation of winds and tide heights when I kayaked round here, and the North Westerly wind and a 9.6M high tide at 11.20 this morning would make me believe we might get a bit.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral High Tides? - 13th Jan 2017 9:09am
We regularly get 10 metre tides, so I would think we'll be OK this time.

It is when you get a combination of a 10 metre tide, plus low pressure, plus the wind piling up water into Mersey/Dee corner of the Irish sea that problems arise
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral High Tides? - 13th Jan 2017 10:19am
Yep, its those strong north westerly winds I'm thinking of.

Watching the Wirral cams at the minute:

http://www.wirralcam.org/wirralcam2016/home.shtml

I reckon Eggy Prom will get a washing over.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Wirral High Tides? - 13th Jan 2017 11:45am
I don't know if you've been to Lincolnshire but coastalwise is very low and very flat and anything above the norm floods vast areas. I wouldn't dream of living anywhere like that but that probably explains why there's not all that much population over great areas. Our kid said it must be a crap place to live because there's nobody there, which made me laugh. They are a bit more vulnerable than elsewhere e.g. Yorkshire has cliffs along a lot of it. Just my opinion but having been there I can understand it.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Wirral High Tides? - 14th Jan 2017 1:05am
It was not too bad Friday. Just a lot of spray.

Attached picture DSC_0005.JPG
Attached picture DSC_0012.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral