Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Be Aware - 9th Feb 2016 4:03pm
It happened down south but my daughter had her contactless card skimmed and someone has been making dozens of attempts to get £30 a time with it, that's the upper limit on the cards at the moment. Her bank twigged and she's stopped her card and is getting a new one but be aware it could happen up here. I've got mine in a little tin foil envelope in my wallet and suggest you do something similar. Hope nobody off wiki gets caught.
somad
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Be Aware - 9th Feb 2016 6:25pm
As you say, they can only make attempts - the wireless side of the card can only be skimmed, it cannot be cloned, every transaction is unique, so the data that was skimmed cannot be used to make another successful contactless debit from the account.

Normally they skim then make payments using the data gleaned but this is only the number and expiry date, the CVV and PIN numbers are not stored on the card - if a retailer accepts a an electronic payment without a CVV or PIN number then the retailer ends up footing the cost if its a fraudulent payment.
Posted By: Mark Re: Be Aware - 10th Feb 2016 1:57am
I seen on Amazon there are little wallets you can buy to prevent this. Seems to be pretty big in the states, either the paranoia or the problem.

Sorry i dont have the link.
Posted By: rocks Re: Be Aware - 10th Feb 2016 10:41am
i was told that the criminals have a device they carry around that picks up your card as your just walking round..scary
© Wirral-Wikiwirral