Forums
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 3:39pm
This place is well alight. 3 tenders, aerial appliance and incident support unit.

[Linked Image]

I've got more pics on my camera, I'll post up when I get home.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 3:46pm
Thanks xan. Good report.

Kids these days have nothing better to do.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 3:49pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Thanks xan. Good report.

Kids these days have nothing better to do.

withthat

Always good to have pics with news report thanks wink
Posted By: Wench Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 3:56pm
I wondered how long it would take for this to happen when it closed. I lost my bet as it was later rather than sooner. Thanks for sharing them Xan wink
Posted By: TheDr Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 3:59pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I wondered how long it would take for this to happen when it closed. I lost my bet as it was later rather than sooner. Thanks for sharing them Xan wink

I know the feeling, I bet it would burn as well, but I thought it would have been sooner, maybe it was left this long so it didn't look even more suspicious than it already does smile
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 4:03pm
Shame I can't upload directly from my camera rather than my phone; ah well! Like I said, more to come later
Posted By: baconbutty Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 4:10pm
Yeah Defo kids. Always is couldn't be anything else. Some of you people need to get a life.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 4:12pm
wasn't a bad pub, Thanks for sharing pics
Posted By: micsey Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 4:29pm
what are the crack heads going to do now,they stand waitng in rock lane east for there nasty laugh
Posted By: paulph1972 Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 4:32pm
Originally Posted by Wench

When did it close? Not been down that way in a while.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 5:12pm
I remember I was walking through the car park of the Abby going home from school and got half a house brick in my head for nothing at all by the ... gang that used to hang around there around '95.
I still thought it was a great bar though,if your face fit in that is.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 5:18pm
Still a lot of smoke coming from the roof of the Abbotford pub rock ferry,Still fireman present and police !
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 5:38pm
Originally Posted by Sylvi1234
Still a lot of smoke coming from the roof of the Abbotford pub rock ferry,Still fireman present and police !

It doesn't suprise me that the police are there; the local kids looked the be getting in the way of the fire fighters mad
Posted By: steiner Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 5:48pm
I watched Frank Bruno get spanked by Mike Tyson in there sometime in 1996 at about 4am on a Saturday night / Sunday morning. Not a bad pub back in the day. A few pubs in the area like the King's have spent a bit of cash and have mopped up the kind of discretionary trade that the Abbey used to heavily rely on. That's why it died on its arse. Also a load of the alkies went up to the Toll Bar in the Ferry when the Wetherspoon's opened.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 6:02pm
there has been a gang of lads hanging around there recently and it had just been re shuttered as somebody had been there and taken all the metal shutters down.it was a fire waiting to happpen wonder what it will be now ,flats ,tescos or waste land like the rest of rock ferry at the moment
Posted By: Duxdeluxe Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 6:24pm
Originally Posted by steiner
Also a load of the alkies went up to the Toll Bar in the Ferry when the Wetherspoon's opened.

Have you actually been in Weetherspoons in NF ?Its really rather nice
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 6:38pm
Originally Posted by micsey
what are the crack heads going to do now,they stand waitng in rock lane east for there nasty laugh

used to stand outside the Great Eastern for their 'fix', now that's gone too,now they go down back entrys!!
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 6:40pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
Originally Posted by micsey

used to stand outside the Great Eastern for their 'fix', now that's gone too,now they go down back entrys!!

yes with the RATS
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:42pm
off a friend who lives in the houses next to it

Attached picture 407336_10150610134293185_692253184_10839968_6373935_n.jpg
Posted By: Wheels Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - 15th Jan 2012 7:45pm
nooooooooooooo!

I remember using the gym in the back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:46pm
Great photo thanks, looks like a space ship in the smoke raftl
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:47pm
i know i said that

lol
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:51pm
that will be knocked down now, and yet more luxury flats built(that wont sell)
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:53pm
i used to live in the 3 bed houses exactly the same as the ones next to this pub but behind it if u get me lol..

they are gorgeous but they just dont suit the area at all..

i thought it was getting knocked down to be made an asda (this was when it was very first shut down over a year ago as i when i moved in november 2010 the pub had just shut!!

Posted By: lemonhead Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:56pm
thats where i lived 36 years ago, i think my mum said they were flats then
Posted By: jessiikahh Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 7:59pm
if i could have picked up my house and placed it in a nicer area PERFECTION!!! its a shame they waste so much money building nice houses around areas like this frown
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 8:06pm
i cant remember the area, we moved when i was 4, moved to Wallasey and then 15 years ago i moved back, just by the Lidl now, people think oh what a bad area, no its next prefect where is, offtopic sorry
Posted By: rockster Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 8:31pm
Originally Posted by lansyp
wonder what it will be now ,flats ,tescos or waste land like the rest of rock ferry at the moment

maybe they'll build some 3 storey town houses and leave them all empty cos nobody can afford to rent them
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 9:48pm
Hmm past there this morning thought it was strange the doors were open and the board off the window and was the same friday when Tec demolition where there my guess someone didn't lock it back up?

pic from friday

Attached picture LIVERPOOL 021.JPG
Attached picture LIVERPOOL 011.JPG
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 15th Jan 2012 10:05pm
Originally Posted by jessiikahh
off a friend who lives in the houses next to it
That`s real spooky that it with the lights above the fire in the smoke great picture though
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 12:13am
Another one bites the dust.......
Posted By: lansyp Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 12:19am
By th way I drink in wether spoons in the ferry and its a really neice pub.I also live just down the road from the Abbey its not a bad place to live it just has some bad people like every where else
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 2:56am
You've just jogged my memory TC, it was Total Demolition Services who where on the job. They looked to be clearing the building on Friday, but I haven't been past since.

As for the pics; had to do some emergency computer repair. Later on now
Posted By: raymondo Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 8:48am
Originally Posted by steiner
I watched Frank Bruno get spanked by Mike Tyson in there sometime in 1996 at about 4am on a Saturday night / Sunday morning. Not a bad pub back in the day. A few pubs in the area like the King's have spent a bit of cash and have mopped up the kind of discretionary trade that the Abbey used to heavily rely on. That's why it died on its arse. Also a load of the alkies went up to the Toll Bar in the Ferry when the Wetherspoon's opened.

the pub didnt close through lack of trade i belive the owner sold the land to the devilipers next door and put all his money into renovaiting and reopening the derby over the road
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 8:56am
Here are the pictures I took, I was luck to have my camera on me and only had it as I was heading to New Brighton for the sunset

Smoke Plume
[Linked Image]

Chasing the local reprobates
[Linked Image]

Aerial appliance arriving
[Linked Image]

The three tenders
[Linked Image]

Roofless
[Linked Image]

Fighting
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 1:55pm
Good pics xan, well done you.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 2:57pm
Nice piccys, this is faster than the news.
Posted By: bodgerella Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 16th Jan 2012 10:18pm
I lived in the Abbortford from 1973 to 1983. These pictures are upsetting as I can identify all of my brothers rooms, the lounge , kitchen etc. When we moved in it was relatively new, it has a working man's bar bottom left at the front, an off license in the middle(where the front door is on the pictures), and two lounges back and front right. The front right lounge was the quiet posh one and the back lounge was the lively one with the duke box in it. The two lounges had illuminated glass panels on the front of the bars. The back lounge had cartoon pictures of monks/abbots playing bowls and the one at the front was wood, brass and red leather illumination. The pub was built by Whitbread and all of their beers and associated drinks were sold ther like trophy bitter, Heinekein, pony and Makesons stout as well as R whites mixers and smith's crisps. This was the time of disco and new wave and disco nights were introduced to the pub to the annoyance of the established customers I think. Christmas parties in there included cammel lairds and the dressmaking factory down the road whose name escapes me. When we moved in there was an old coop on the right and low rise flats behind. To the left and across the road was a large derelict victorian villa that was pulled down the following year, and Kirklands school was down St Peter's road were lads would go to learn woodwork and girl's dressmaking I think.Jon's chipshop was over the the New Chester Road on the left and of course the post office and greengrocers over the road on the right. I used to walk to the Dell Middle School every day. I have decent photos of people taken behind the bar and views from the window-I'll dig them out and load them. How sad all gone. Denise
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 17th Jan 2012 10:43am
Thanks for the history, Denise. I hope one of the mods can transplant it so it can be saved.

On a different note; the local papers have got on to the story 24hours later than Wiki and without pics!

BLAZE AT DERELICT PUB

Posted By: kittykat Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 18th Jan 2012 12:16am
I think the factory whose name escapes you was Carfax if we're on the same wavelength.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 19th Jan 2012 3:33pm
The Abbey has now been flattened frown didn't get a chance for a pic as I was driving frown
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 19th Jan 2012 3:35pm
Doesn't suprise me, I'll see what pics I can get later
Posted By: Deggsyr Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 9:48am
Developers were propbably a bit fed up waiting... there will be a whole load of 3 storey houses with "To Let" boards there in a few weeks time
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 10:31am
I remember driving past a few summers ago - when it was open, the sun was shining and the beer garden was full, full of yobs fighting, throwing glasses, bottles etc etc....

Not surprised its closed, and been burned to the ground. My only worry is where all those yobs will end up.... think
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 10:41am
Excellent photos there Xan.

I drove past the place about 2 hours before it caught fire. You could see a window board had been removed and the place was accessible. It crossed my mind to have a look but I guessed it would be full off feral youths or smack heads so I gave it no more thought. I am glad I left it.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 10:50am
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
it would be full off feral youths or smack heads so I gave it no more thought. I am glad I left it.

Pity none of them was inside when it went up....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 11:04am
Hmm think

Am I right in seeing in xans photos it looks like some complete sad-act has stolen the railings?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 4:38pm
Good spot Ste, not noticed that.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 4:48pm
... and up go the luxury apartments/Tesco Metro.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 5:06pm
Or the lego houses all squashed together lol!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 5:25pm
The other new housing developments in the area are a long way from being fully occupied (or built) as yet so I can't see any houses being built there for a long time.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 6:38pm
Ah, they're going keep it as a wildlife/rubbish/discarded tyre conservation zone for a few years like the spot across the road? laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 6:40pm
Lol.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Abbotsford Pub, Rock Ferry - ablaze - 22nd Jan 2012 7:05pm
passed there on the bus last week and it was a pile of rubble.
what do they get from setting things on fire? probably be left now just like the site of the Great Eastern, supposed to be building houses there,but it's just left, and over grown with weeds, looks a right mess.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral