Forums
Posted By: karenjon post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 12:41pm
been told post office and news agents by upton station there was an armed robbery earlier two men on motorbike a male stepped in to help he now in hospital with injuries hit in head with gun
Posted By: karenjon Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 12:42pm
helicopter still going round seems like the top of ford hill
Posted By: luckycharm Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 12:59pm
Wasnt that robbed only a few weeks ago i remember going past and seeing the shutters all broken ,must be heartbreaking for the owners.
Posted By: scary Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 1:27pm
hopefully they get caught soon so they can get a christmas dinner in nick for many many years
Posted By: feisort Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 1:47pm
I live 2 mins away, police were everywhere earlier on, all over bidston and round the hill, theres also been a big crash on bidston road a lorry is right across the road and a motorbike is supposed to be stuck underneath it, not sure if the 2 incidents are related.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 2:01pm
Why can people not just leave themselves to themselves?

I hope the guys ok but really? Is it worth trying to help when firearms are involved?

These places are insured, leave them to it, don`t retaliate and no one will get hurt.

This type of thing always happens around this time of year.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 2:08pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Why can people not just leave themselves to themselves?

I hope the guys ok but really? Is it worth trying to help when firearms are involved?

These places are insured, leave them to it, don`t retaliate and no one will get hurt.

This type of thing always happens around this time of year.

Some people just have something inside them that says NO! and they react without thinking it through. i used to be similar and i would always act first think later. After many years of military discipline i am no longer like that, thoughts race through my head at a million mph thinking every scenario, got to say though i dont know which i prefer as sometimes actions are needed and i step down to prevent any escalation.

tricky one really. Hope the guy is ok and pulls through, next time someone has a gun he may think twice about jumping in with his head!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 3:08pm
I don't know anything other than is in this post. Ste I would agree with what you say but would it be a bit different if he stepped in to help a member of the staff - I know the counterstaff in there are woman and if they were being attacked maybe he was trying to help them?
I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to step in gun versus money but I don't know that I could stand back and watch another human being getting battered without doing something.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 3:18pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
if he stepped in to help a member of the staff - I know the counterstaff in there are woman and if they were being attacked maybe he was trying to help them?
I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to step in gun versus money but I don't know that I could stand back and watch another human being getting battered without doing something.

There would be no violence if the staff handed the cash over in the 1st place which is what they are ordered to do via management.
There is no point in arguing with these people, they want the cash, give them the cash and it`s over with.
Let the police handle it and the insurance companys.
Life is worth more than a load of cash or ones reputation being embarrased.

smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 4:57pm
Until you've actually been in a situation you don't know how you will react. Some who shout about what they would do turn to jelly when the actual crisis arises and others who don't say a word react in the bravest way possible, some panic, others don't. You can never tell until it happens. I just hope the bloke is ok because he reacted in a courageous manner whatever anyone else thinks, good luck to him.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 5:16pm
Is it worth trying to help when firearms are involved?

Don't see anyone except OP claiming there was a gun involved. Chances are pretty high that one wasn't - and if it was chances are pretty high again that it was an airpistol.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 5:20pm
Originally Posted by feisort
I live 2 mins away, police were everywhere earlier on, all over bidston and round the hill, theres also been a big crash on bidston road a lorry is right across the road and a motorbike is supposed to be stuck underneath it, not sure if the 2 incidents are related.

I've just come home and the road is still blocked
Posted By: Blazeparadox Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 5:29pm
It's on Wirral Globe no mention of anyone shot, but does mention a bike!!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 5:55pm
Originally Posted by Blazeparadox
It's on Wirral Globe no mention of anyone shot, but does mention a bike!!

The original comment didn't say anyone had been shot but that they "allegedly" had been hit in the head with a gun.
Posted By: Xan_Asmodi Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 6:10pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Until you've actually been in a situation you don't know how you will react. Some who shout about what they would do turn to jelly when the actual crisis arises and others who don't say a word react in the bravest way possible, some panic, others don't. You can never tell until it happens. I just hope the bloke is ok because he reacted in a courageous manner whatever anyone else thinks, good luck to him.

+1
Posted By: Anonymous Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 6:23pm

withthat
Posted By: Volly Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 6:37pm

100% with this. I always thought I was quite brave and would try to help if I ever got caught up in a situation like this ................... That was until I witnessed the Lloyds bank in moreton being robbed a couple of years ago. One of them even fell in front of me and near enough knocked himself out on the back of the getaway car and I just stood frozen, staring at him. I think partly because I had my son with me and mostly because of the violence I saw them using towards the bank staff and cash van staff.
... like these don't care how much they injure you - I now know that I'd just watch them get on with it if I ever saw it happen again.
As mentioned earlier, banks, post offices e.t.c. are insured - not worth the risk to be a hero in my eyes. However I do have full repect for anyone who does try.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 6:40pm
Globe now says it was a gunman and 3 youth arrested in connection with. Hopefully justice will be satisfied.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 7:05pm
Well it certainly is starting to look like it wasn't their day after all - RFLMFAO

Motorbike crash youths arrested over armed robbery at Upton post office

Dec 1 2011 By Lorna Hughes

THREE youths involved in a motorbike crash were arrested in connection with an armed robbery at a post office in Upton.

A man armed with a firearm threatened staff and customers at Martins Newsagents and post office on Upton Road just before 10.40am this morning.

He assaulted the manager of the shop and escaped with a large amount of cash.

It is thought he then got onto the back of a motorbike/ scrambler bike before riding in the direction of Birkenhead via Noctorum Avenue.

The three youths were arrested on suspicion of robbery and theft of a motorbike after the bike they were travelling on collided with a Mitsubishi Jeep on Bidston Road at around 12.30pm.

They were taken to hospital to be treated for their injuries, which are not thought to be life-threatening.

The manager of Martins Newsagent suffered a head injury and was also taken to hospital but his condition is not thought to be serious.

Merseyside Police Detective Inspector Mark Watson said: "Incidents of this nature are rare in this area, and I'm sure local residents would agree that those responsible need to be brought to justice.

"This must have been a very frightening ordeal for the staff and I would appeal for anyone who has any information about this incident to contact 0151 777 2265 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

The offender is described as wearing black clothing, aged 20-30 years and of slim build.

The shop has been sealed off for forensic examination and house to house enquiries are continuing.
http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...dium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed
Posted By: dave_h Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 7:12pm
good effort that man, hope he is ok
Posted By: poodlepup Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 7:17pm
Yes,what great news! Just hope all the victims recover soon,as for the scumbags lets hope they get a hefty sentence.
Posted By: dave_h Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 7:34pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
Yes,what great news! Just hope all the victims recover soon,as for the scumbags lets hope they get a hefty sentence.

lets see them stand toe to toe with the have a go hero without a weapon, that wud teach em
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 7:38pm
They must be making absolutely sure that they leave nothing to chance with the road still being closed at 5 oclock
Posted By: Manowar1952 Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 9:26pm
'.....these places are insured, leave them to it, don`t retaliate and no one will get hurt....'

'....There would be no violence if the staff handed the cash over in the 1st place which is what they are ordered to do via management.
There is no point in arguing with these people, they want the cash, give them the cash and it`s over with.....'

Sorry..that's not right. There has been many instances where staff, customers & bystanders have been hurt by robbers during and after robberies whilst no attempt has been made to hinder them in the robbery or their escape. Villains will often times lash out while hyped-up on the power they feel over the innocent.

I myself have no idea how I would react in a similar situation and wouldn't dare to give advice over something like this.
The police do issue warnings to the public not to take action but they know that each situation is responded upon by members of the public according to their own lights.

Posted By: johncon Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 9:45pm
so does that mean its ok to break into houses as long as they are insured i think not. !!!!!
its an adrenalin thing when these things happen nobody realy knows how they will react until the time comes and they are in that situation !
Posted By: Snodvan Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 10:08pm
if he stepped in to help a member of the staff - I know the counterstaff in there are woman and if they were being attacked maybe he was trying to help them?

There would be no violence if the staff handed the cash over in the 1st place which is what they are ordered to do via management.
There is no point in arguing with these people, they want the cash, give them the cash and it`s over with.
Let the police handle it and the insurance companys.
Life is worth more than a load of cash or ones reputation being embarrased.

smile

THE repercussion will be the insurance bill next renewal - if they will renew.

Snod
Posted By: trfc2003 Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 10:48pm
to all those out there having a say about todays robbery in upton post office,
FACTS MY 70 YEAR OLD MUM WAS POSTING MAIL AT THIS OFFICE TODAY AND PLEASE TELL ME SHE DESERVED TO HAVE A GUN HELD TO HER HEAD AND BE THROWN ABOUT BY A MINDLESS YOB THE MANAGER OF THE SHOP CAME TO HELP HER IF HE HAD NOT GOD KNOWS WHAT THE OUT COME WOULD HAVE BEEN SO I WOULD LIKE TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO THE GUY FROM MARTIN'S FROM MYSELF AND MY FAMILY AND MY BRAVE MUM SO ALL YOU'S OUT THERE WHO THINK THEY DESERVED TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS YOURE JUST AS BAD AS THE ... WHOM DID THIS
Posted By: Littlebear Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 10:55pm
Chill out delbtrfc, nobody has said your mum deserved it - it doesn't say that or come close to saying that anywhere on this thread.
Hope she's OK.
Posted By: trfc2003 Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 11:06pm
JUST LETTING THE GOSSIPS KNOW THE FACTS AND ON THAT NOTE THANKS TO ANYONE WHOM WISHES BOTH MY MUM AND THE GUY FROM MARTIN'S A SPEEDY RECOVERY WHICH WONT HAPPEN OVER NITE. THIS WILL BE A LONG HARD RECOVERY FOR BOTH AND THE LADY WORKING IN THE POST OFFICE TO SO HOW ANYONE COULD MENTION INSURANCE IS BEYOND ME.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: post office robbery - 1st Dec 2011 11:36pm
Noone has said they deserve to be treated like "this" ??? Like what exactly?

Delb, I appreciate you are upset after todays happenings, but as a new user please take time to understand and appreciate how a forum works. People are intitled to share opinions, including yourself, and all posts are monitored to try and preserve the respect of others.

I see that noone has said anything disrespectful to those involved, but just that a few people have shared some views - which everyone is entitled to do.

On a final note, Im glad they caught the ... who did this, I wish all the victims, the most speedy recovery possible.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 12:27am

Yeah, I agree with this. Most people have no idea how they'd react until put in that situation. Usually you have no time to plan only to react. I suspect I'd chicken out but don't know for certain.
Well done to the lad who stood up to the scumbags. Hope all the victims get better soon although the mental scars will take a lot longer to get over than the physical.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 9:14am
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Yeah, I agree with this. Most people have no idea how they'd react until put in that situation. Usually you have no time to plan only to react. I suspect I'd chicken out but don't know for certain.

Not just you, i quote every one of your comments, what i said IS the sensible thing to do and it`s what you`re TOLD to do whilst working in such places.
No "i`d do this i`d do that" read properly.

[Linked Image]

Congrats to that man in the Mitsubishi, thanks to him being a wreckless driver not looking out for motorbikes as typical car users don`t he saved the day clap
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 9:39am
I wonder where they'd been between the robbery at 10am and the accident at 12.30. Clearly they are not that bright else they'd have split up and dumped the bike/s
Posted By: parkgater Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 3:38pm
The whingeing biker must have his say.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 3:46pm
I wonder where they'd been between the robbery at 10am and the accident at 12.30. Clearly they are not that bright else they'd have split up and dumped the bike/s

Probably nipped into the local dealers for a few pipes to calm their nerves before hitting the rd again smile

Originally Posted by parkgater
The whingeing biker must have his say.

Wrong again son, i drive cars not ride bikes wink
I do however have friends that ride motorbikes, i look out for them unlike your everyday car driver who couldn`t really give a toss because they wouldn`t get hurt by a bike.

Originally Posted by Ste
smirk

Congrats, bravo, hoorahhh clap
Posted By: parkgater Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 7:11pm
Ste,so so predictable, have a good weekend
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: post office robbery - 2nd Dec 2011 7:12pm
Originally Posted by parkgater
Ste,so so ppredictable, have a good weekend

You too friend smile
Posted By: marzie Re: post office robbery - 3rd Dec 2011 6:42pm
i just hope when the scumbags are finnaly brought to court jerramy clarkson is the sentancing judge.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: post office robbery - 3rd Dec 2011 7:26pm
Yessssssssssssssss !!!!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral