Forums
Posted By: Dilly Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 10:43am
I was in Central park yesterday and saw a bloke doing this. Just a large magnet on a rope.He told me it was quite a big craze and to look it up on YouTube which I did. Some great video footage of alsorts being dragged from canals and other waters. Some even of safes being hauled in. The magnets a very strong but don't come cheap. Anyone on here tried it ?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 12:00pm
I'd be all for it in canals, provided the enthusiasts didn't chuck the rubbish back in.

Most boat owners have magnet for recovery of things dropped in the canal. I once recovered a windlass for the lock paddles using one, but the quantity of other rubbish that came up before it was unbelievable!
Posted By: granny Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 1:48pm

I've got a magnetic fishing game. Do you want to borrow it?
Posted By: cools Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 2:40pm
Well it looks a whole less work than having to dig for it like the metal detectors, and I should imagine cheaper. When you think about it most probably more stuff in rivers and Wells than n ground.Right that's it where do I get a magnet from?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 3:46pm
EBay Cools, loads on there. Happy fishing smile
Posted By: cools Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 6:17pm
I might just give that a go Dilly, just looked quite cheap so if no good at it not much lost...Watch this space ha..watched one of the YouTube ones Abit scary finding knives but then he found an old sword.....
Posted By: granny Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 7:40pm

For goodness sake, Cools !!! Fishing down wells ? I suppose we'll all have to go searching the nearest ones if you go missing.
Now, stick to your family history instead, there's a dear.. Too much bad news these days, we don't want a 'missing person' notification as well, of one who went out with a fishing rod one cold night.
Posted By: cools Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 8:10pm
Haha, maybe you're right Granny thinking about it I'm abit long in the tooth now for such things. Knowing me the rope would most probably wrap round my ankle and I'd be right in after the magnet, splish splash !!! It does look fun though perhaps someone on here will have a go and show us their finds, I miss seeing the metal detector finds that explore ysed to post. Go on Dilly you have a go...
Posted By: snowhite Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 8:25pm
Originally Posted by granny

For goodness sake, Cools !!! Fishing down wells ? I suppose we'll all have to go searching the nearest ones if you go missing.
Now, stick to your family history instead, there's a dear.. Too much bad news these days, we don't want a 'missing person' notification as well, of one who went out with a fishing rod one cold night.
raftl raftl take grannys advise Cools.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 8:29pm
Come on Cools I was going to start taking bets on your first catches, shopping trolley or maybe a bike frame smile I might just get one myself for a bit of fun though.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 8:37pm
Got me magnet about 3 months ago but haven't tried it yet.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 9:48pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Got me magnet about 3 months ago but haven't tried it yet.

Still haven't managed to get it to let go of the car?
Posted By: granny Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 9:56pm
You should all get together. I can see it now... A repeat of Wind in the Willows .

Posted By: Dilly Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 10:03pm
Ah ! the Willows
So that's what you call your draws eh Granny smile
Posted By: granny Re: Magnet fishing - 2nd Oct 2017 10:51pm

You leave my draws out of it, Dilly. You won't find them on a riverbank.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Magnet fishing - 3rd Oct 2017 8:41am
Magnet fishing father and son are left stunned after discovering a Tommy gun, US civil war pistol and an 1800s musket at the bottom of a lake

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4854978/Magnet-fishing-father-son-hail-12-guns.html
Posted By: Dilly Re: Magnet fishing - 3rd Oct 2017 9:36am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Magnet fishing father and son are left stunned after discovering a Tommy gun, US civil war pistol and an 1800s musket at the bottom of a lake

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4854978/Magnet-fishing-father-son-hail-12-guns.html

Wow ! What an amazing haul.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Magnet fishing - 3rd Oct 2017 6:47pm
Can be used to get gold flecks. which get trapped amongst iron rich deposits on river beds. chappie on youtube doing it but lot of work for small return.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Magnet fishing - 3rd Oct 2017 9:17pm
I've magnet fished several times around the canals of Chester and Ellesmere Port, not pulled anything major but did get an old railway shunters pole with metal hook from underneath disused railway bridge! Strangely relaxing too!
Posted By: granny Re: Magnet fishing - 3rd Oct 2017 11:20pm

I was talking to my daughter's partner about this today. He'd never heard of it (but being a man from Kent, it's hardly surprising !).

Anyway, he was quite taken with the idea and thought as the Royal Military Canal is nearby (built as a defence in the Napoleonic war) ,it would be a good place to start. There are also dykes that the smugglers from Rye and Romney marsh used to use.

Sounds quite exciting, if he ever gets around to doing it.
Posted By: assassin Re: Magnet fishing - 5th Oct 2017 1:34pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
I was in Central park yesterday and saw a bloke doing this. Just a large magnet on a rope.He told me it was quite a big craze and to look it up on YouTube which I did. Some great video footage of alsorts being dragged from canals and other waters. Some even of safes being hauled in. The magnets a very strong but don't come cheap. Anyone on here tried it ?
the only thing putting me off doing this in central park is how many used needles are in there :run: :shock:
Posted By: Dilly Re: Magnet fishing - 5th Oct 2017 2:06pm
Originally Posted by assassin
Originally Posted by Dilly
the only thing putting me off doing this in central park is how many used needles are in there :run: :shock:

I doubt they are magnetic:)
Posted By: Tomcra Re: Magnet fishing - 27th Oct 2021 9:09pm
One of my better hobby, first thing I found was a scaffolding pipe,, the next a leather bag with a gold ring and a rosary the Cross stuck to the magnet I even found the owner a teacher working in a local school,
Posted By: cools Re: Magnet fishing - 28th Oct 2021 2:30pm
I bet that was exciting finding them Tom and nice that you were able to reunite them with owner. Good on you….
If you still do it and find anything interesting do put a photo up here, I love seeing things found either by metal detector and indeed magnet fishing.
Posted By: Tomcra Re: Magnet fishing - 30th Oct 2021 5:40pm
Have found a few things two gold rings tied with a safety pin, over a dozen "guns" turned out to be fuze lighters before UXBs , engagement ring, , bikes to many to count,
Now I use a magnet, I loose more magnets , found a clip of 303 ammo in the canal, lots of coins (old) in a well all donated to the folks who asked me,
Posted By: cools Re: Magnet fishing - 31st Oct 2021 10:18am
Oh Wow! You seem to be doing well with the old Magnet fishing. I love to hear about things long lost resurfacing. As I say please put pics up of your finds it’s so interesting , sure others would like to see as well.
Posted By: Tomcra Re: Magnet fishing - 15th Nov 2021 7:45pm
I wish I could post photos
Posted By: Tomcra Re: Magnet fishing - 17th Jan 2022 3:09pm
Today I had half hour toess about with I went to the rivacre under the motorway bridge. First pull I lost whatever it was. It was very heavy. After ten min dragged out a knife (snake kind). Very poor condition handle gone spike very pitted.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral